Thread: OT: Help with IRS tax return. Do you think this is legitimate? HELP. I might be rich

Distinguished Community Member

Cool OT: Help with IRS tax return. Do you think this is legitimate? HELP. I might be rich

G'day neuro buddies.

Hmm,

I received an email and I don't know if it is letigimate. The email was supposed to have come from the IRS! Wow, are they about to arrest me? :) No, believe it or not, I am told that I have money that they are willing to pay as witheld taxes! Sounds almost to good to be true eh :)

Although I am in Australia, I have over the years been paid money from a few American organisations, such a www.lulu.com (in the USA), with whom I have published music. It is possible that they have held taxes, but to be honest I haven't got a clue.

So this is my question to get the ball rolling :)

This is the email I got. Do you think it is legitimate and not a scam? Is this something that the IRS would send out?

If you think it is legitimate, could you possibly give me a link so that I can follow up.

-------------

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
    United States Department of the Treasury

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have
    determined that you are eligible to receive your tax return.

Due to invalid account records we were unable to credit your account.
    Please submit a verified tax return request as soon as possible.

Your tax return request form is attached to this email.

After you submit the tax return request, please allow us
    4 to 8 working days in order to process it.

Regards,
    Internal Revenue Service

March 4th, 2012 (8:06:56 p.m.)
    Document Reference: (2877332947).

----------------

I look forward to hearing from the IRS experts soon :)

Ps. I am very wary of clicking on the link in the email as it could be a scam.

Paul
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi Paul,

Sounds like a scam....I would think the real IRS would send a letter thru the mail. My 2 cents! :)

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Blog Entries

I know nothing about taxes but this looks like a scam. My mom used to get scams like that from credit card companies. If it looks too good to be true it usually is. Sorry to burst your bubble but I don't want you getting ripped off.

Blog Entries

I would say it's a phishing attempt to gather personal information. One quick way to check is to "enable full (or complete) headers" in your email when you open it. Also hover the mouse pointer over the link (no need to click on it) and it if doesn't match the text description of the link ... delete it immediately. If it does match it should be a .irs.gov link.
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Paul))))))

It's a phishing scam. The IRS never contacts a person via email. They use U.S. mail or call on the telephone.

Here's an explanation by Snopes, although not about your specific email:

http://www.snopes.com/fraud/phishing/unreported.asp

Another red flag to me: "4 to 8 working days" That's a bizarre time frame. 10 days, yes. Two weeks, yes. 4-8 days. No. Plus the U.S. government doesn't work that fast!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Paul,this type of scam has been on the news lately. the IRS never sends emails. report this but hope you didn't open it! I also would never give any info over the phone.

G'dy everyone.

Thank you for your quick responses.

It did sound a bit too good to be true didn't it. I was getting ready to use the money to fly out and see you :)

Best wishes to all the neuro buddies and kiddos and older kiddos of course.

Seeya next tax refund :)

Paul, Alison an dGrant the champ.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)