Thread: You CAN always get what you want, You just have to WAIT

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Default You CAN always get what you want, You just have to WAIT

From my latest blog post and continuing our story of Nick's competition:

Sometimes, it takes a long time to get what you want. Nicholas is learning this lesson with the Ultimate Warrior. We received an email from "Team Warrior" that confirmed Nick's win and asked for his mailing address so that an alternate Ultimate prize could be posted. VIP tickets for a live event in Chicago on March 23 were the grand prize and Nick cannot travel because of his chronic pain. Yesterday, Nick and I composed the following letter to Team Warrior.

I have thought a lot about what prizes from Team Warrior might be on my wish list. One thing that I thought of was an interview with the Warrior over the phone or skype. I have always wanted to be a sports journalist and I have a bit of experience in that regard. I was the sports reporter for my high school newspaper and I have a hockey blog called The Hockey Ambassador (http://thehockeyambassador.blogspot.com/). (The title is a play on words because my Dad was the Canadian Ambassador in the UK http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_R._Wright). Of course the Warrior would pre-approve all my questions and give me advice on where such an interview could be allowed in print, including possibly on my blog.

My other choice for an ultimate prize would be any piece of original artwork by the Warrior. I think he's a terrific artist.

For your background information, here is a bit about me:

I am a huge fan of wrestling and especially of the Warrior. I am 23 years old and disabled with cerebral palsy (a physical disability). This affects the control that I have over movement, vision, and speech. Even though my disability is considered 'severe', I have perfect verbal comprehension, and an incredible memory. In other words, I understand everything being said. I have completed high school as well three online college courses including one called “The Study of Sport Online”. In my final year of high school, I won an award called "Spirit of the Capital Youth Award for Academic Perseverance" (ie Warrior Attitude). Currently, I am learning about meditation - does the Warrior meditate by any chance?

My goal is to be a volunteer wrestling writer and reporter. I am going to a WWE wrestling event (not televised) this Saturday night in my hometown of Ottawa, Canada and I am going to tweet results to a wrestling website.

A bit more about how I communicate: When I was younger, I used a 'speaking computer' with head switches to communicate (something like the astro-physicist Stephen Hawking uses). The switches and computer were mounted to my wheelchair. Because I spend less time in my chair now due to chronic pain, I no longer use this system to communicate. We are working on building a new system called Proloquo2Go on the Ipad. Now, I use this combined with a few spoken words including a perfectly clear "yes" and "no" to great advantage. With someone asking me 'twenty questions', I can communicate complex ideas. I thought about using a computer voice for the competition, but decided against it. The computer voice just did not have the 'warrior attitude. People who know me well, have an easy time understanding me and if the Warrior was able to call me for an interview, there would be someone here to help interpret.

I am very grateful for the opportunity to participate in the contest and I'm thrilled to have won. Luckily, I have a lot of friends in the UK and in Canada who helped me win. Absolutely anything from the Warrior would be very gratefully received.

Thanks so much, and by the way, I Always Believe

Yours truly,
    Nicholas Wright
    Donna, Mum to Natalie (22), ablebodied, kind and beautiful and Nicholas(26), severe CP, non-verbal, tube fed, multiple surgeries, chronic pain, happy kid except when the Liverpool football club or the Ottawa Senators Hockey Team are losing!
    Check out my blog: http://www.donnathomson.com

Distinguished Community Member

hey Nicholas old buddy :)

Great that you won the competition. Well done indeed.

We hope you get exactly what you want for a prize.

Best wishes as always and keep up the great work.

Paul, Alison and Grant the champ.
    Grant's story in pictures and music. A must see :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiZGlwj6VCQ
    Seeya there :)

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Nicholas))))))

CONGRATULATIONS!

Your letter is so articulate, and you have a wonderful writing style. You've certainly racked up quite a few accomplishments!

Meditation is wonderful and healing, and it might help with your pain management. I will pray that this will be one of the many positive results for you with meditation.

Have you heard back from Team Warrior? I'm anxiously waiting for the news! :)

Always Believe!

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.