Thread: damaged myelin not the trigger

Default damaged myelin not the trigger

Primary oligodendrocyte death does not elicit anti-CNS immunity

http://engencore.sc.edu/2012/02/27/m...t-the-trigger/

this does not explain the 14 yr old girl who died w/MS, in whom there were no immune cells in the vicinity of the damage upon autopsy. don't remember when this happened, but it did raise questions as to the validity of the immune system involvement - does it come before,thereby causing the damage, or after the damage, implying a clean-up operation. my neuro wants me to start tysabri - need the JC virus antibody test first. did read @ tysabri, and it's a monoclonal b-cell antibody. the reason folks get more infections with it is because it targets all b cells, not just the ones that go after the myelin/brain bits. so it seems to depess the general immune system. it's a shot gun approach, rather than targeted with a single bullet. if it only targeted the "brain/myelin" b cells, there'd be no problem w/PML, i think.

if anyone's happy w/their tysabri, or unhappy, chime in please. this article does seem to bolster the immune system theory of MS, and this would be the reason tysabri works. of course, modulating the immune system is the reason LDN is supposed to work, too, but it's almost free, so we can't have that. have also read about helminthic therapy (will post @ that).

cheers, everyone

herodotus

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thanks for you post H.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member

I had thought that myelin damage was the result of MS, not the other way around. Where the damage occurs differs in people, bringing about different symptoms. Sometimes the visible damage is minute. I suppose something like a hidden cavity in your teeth.
    I still think of the shorted wiring comparison.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

According to the article,

The death of oligodendrocytes, as the cells that produce the myelin sheath are called, does not trigger MS.
    Apparently there's been a common assumption that it's the death of oligodendrocytes that triggers MS, but these researchers claim to have disproved that.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

I agree with Parsi. Makes more sense.
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

I also thought that myelin damage was the result of the MS, and then came the disability as the result of the myelin damage. Just as Parsi said, I thought the disability was due to the damage of the myelin, and that it could vary. A large area may not cause as bad symptoms as a small one depending on where the leision happens to be.
    Virginia

You know if they would ever get all this really figured out then they could probably really do something to treat us much more effectively.

By the way, thanks for posting this.
    Virginia