Thread: Does diagnosis change?

Default Does diagnosis change?

My child was diagnosed with PPD/NOS back in the 1990's. It was later changed to Autism. Now they're indicating Asperger's. I do not agree with the Asperger's diagnosis as child had significant language delay and today still has difficulties with communicating. Does the diagnosis change throughout one's life? Child is now 21 years old.

Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by kthkap View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My child was diagnosed with PPD/NOS back in the 1990's. It was later changed to Autism. Now they're indicating Asperger's. I do not agree with the Asperger's diagnosis as child had significant language delay and today still has difficulties with communicating. Does the diagnosis change throughout one's life? Child is now 21 years old.

I know exactly what you are talking about.

From my experience working with professionals (over the years I became one myself) I find many are just taking a guess. I actually had a supervisor of mine, a psychologist ask me for an opinion on a child based on her observations. It really doesn't matter anyway... in the US all those dx fall under the same umbrella, and at 21 your child prolly isn't getting services anyway.

Perhaps though they may have mentioned your child also has a central auditory proccessing disorder, which may have caused the delay in language skills.