Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: hard to believe Web site about our pain also banned medications

Distinguished Community Member

Default hard to believe Web site about our pain also banned medications

http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic...-abuse?ic=8831

http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic...rcocet/?ap=825

http://www.webmd.com/pain-management...arvocet-banned

I have to wonder about what else is going to be done to limit our ability to get adequate pain relief. I am thankful I have managed with the same meds and doses for the past 8 years but with my pain worsening and my spine declining I wonder what will be available when I need it most. I have been opposed to it in the past but I am starting to think that MJ is the way we will have to go to have some inexpensive pain relief that the gov't might approve of in the future. I just ran across this info and if someone else has posted it already I apologize for putting it up again.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Exclamation

OMG, Mark, are they kidding?? I guess I haven't been keeping up with all the current media stuff out there concerning these meds, but I still think that we, as chronic pain patients, should be allowed to continue taking meds that we've been taking for years. Like you, I have been taking my meds, without any change is dosage, for quite awhile - my fusion was done ten years ago this April. Hey, I wouldn't mind if they reduced the amount of acet. in my Percocet, as long as I would still be able to still obtain it.

Doesn't the FDA have more pressing matters to stick their noses into?!?!?
    My avatar is of my daughter, Andrea, who we lost in a fire on 1/18/11

** Hx of an L4/L5 fusion w/ hardware in April 2002 and taking daily pain meds;
    ** proud Grandma of three grandchildren, Angelo, 11/11/05, and Julianna, 1/3/08, and Penny, 6/20/13

Hi Mark, Smiling Angel - I could not believe the amount of mis-information i read - espescially in health central. Thank God the two of us have an understanding doctor. As far as MMJ goes, It is misunderstood in many ways. Even MY VA Shrink tells me it helps chronic pain. However, that said , this s not the place to have THAT debate - there is a forum for that. I do NOT advocate Recreational use - Legit Medical, No Problem. It is legal in AZ. BUT you have to have very specific, Verifiable Problems That are on a list.
    Blessings,
    Alex44
    PS - Smiling angel, Where have you been? Hope this finds you and your family Well.
    A.

The biggest misinfo for me was the signs you are addicted to a medication. I wonder who these people are because I think all but one of the 5 signs are normal usage of opiots. If we have doctors and the public this misinformed then our future doesn't look good. I sure hope pain research is advancing quickly so we have a viable alternative instead of just getting pushed off our meds, thank goodness not yet, and told to fend for ourselves. You would think that as many people as there are that suffer from pain there would be more sympathy for pain suffers and a push to understand pain better. The problem is we don't really have an advocate to fight for our issue, I guess we just have to hope for the best.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Distinguished Community Member Pharmacist.steve's Avatar

I must agree with them about Darvocet and Tylenol... I think that the final conclusion on how dangerous Tylenol is .. has yet to be determined.. other than minor aches/pains... it has little use - IMO... There are too many people/entities that have a vested interest in the war on drugs and keeping it going... This has been going on since the Harrison Narcotic Act 1914... IMO .. it is part of our society's engrained Puritanical beliefs. Because of the tax revenue stream... you won't hear anyone say that alcohol & tobacco may well be "gateway drugs".. to harder stuff. At one time, we tried to prohibit the sale of alcohol... that lasted 12-14 yrs... there is a certain per-cent of the population that will seriously abuse some substance - other than alcohol & tobacco.. we can try and spend the entire US GDP trying to get these people to "go straight" and it will be a total waste of time/money ... for the most part.
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Steve I agree with most of what you say but I do think Tylenol is a good alternative for people to use that have problems handling NSAIDs. Remember the push for Tylenol was due to teens and the problem with them taking NSAIDs. I can't say I have enough knowledge of the real risk for teens and NSAIDs but I do remember the admonition to parents not to give teens aspirin or other similar products.

I think the addition of Tylenol or NSAIDS to opiods isn't a necessary thing but as one poster said I would prefer to see the medications have the NSAIDs or Tylenol removed rather than remove the opiod all together. I know people could switch to straight opiods but I have learned that each one reacts differently to each of us. I would be in a real bind if MSContin was removed as I haven't been able to tolerate other opiods very well.

Community Member

Default Question for Steve

Steve,

The heart problems they mentioned associated with Darvocet, were they talking about Q T prolongation ? The only reason I ask is that someone once told me that Darvbocet was chemically similar to methadone..

Thanks in advance for your clarification..

Aspirin should not be given to children because:
    Aspirin should not be given to children under 12, or to any children and teenagers who display symptoms of the flu or chickenpox. This is because aspirin can cause a condition called Reye's syndrome, which affects the nervous system and the liver and can be lethal. Indeed, up to 30 percent of children and teenagers with Reye's syndrome die, and survivors may have life-long brain damage. For pain relief without this risk, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is a safer choice.
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Community Member

Default To Steve

Steve,

Did you see my question re- Darvocet ??

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimdickie View Post
    Steve,

The heart problems they mentioned associated with Darvocet, were they talking about Q T prolongation ? The only reason I ask is that someone once told me that Darvbocet was chemically similar to methadone..

Thanks in advance for your clarification..
    That is the first I had heard that comparison... I know that there have been some studies that compared its ability to manage pain was not that much different than a combination of Aspirin & Tylenol... which is the mixture in Execedrin. I remember that Talwin has a similar structure to Demerol. Personally, I never considered Darvocet much of a good product for pain management.
    Pharmacist Steve
    www.pharmaciststeve.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast