Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bladder Training

Default Bladder Training

Is anyone familiar with bladder training and its effectiveness? My GP put me on vesicare which has helped but I'm concerned if there are side effects and am also wondering how long one can stay on this medication. Frequency has decreased somewhat (although lately I am still up a few times during the night) and I am now able to get to the bathroom in time most times. However, I am now constipated some days, which is a side effect of the med (and MS). I'm also concerned what effect this has on the future.

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

I don't know anything about bladder training. I was on Detrol for awhile to help with bladder issues nd then it got to expensive so now take a product called 'Go Less'

Abby
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member

Default Bladder Training?

Newone, Can you explain what you mean by "bladder training"? I have tried all the meds to slow down the bladder and found the side effects to be worse than the frequency. I've had MS/MG for over 30 years so my situation might be different than yours. Finally when I could not reach the bathroom before having an accident I depend on Depends.

I have researched all the possible treatments but have not heard of bladder training.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Unhappy

I had that issue for a while but it went away on it's own.

I did do the "Stop and go" technique which helped quite a bit and drank lots more water. It seems the more concentrated the urine the more irritating it is to the actual bladder.

I don't know of any med that doesn't have side effects, some so bad it makes people stop taking it.

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

I googled 'bladder training' and this is what I found: http://www.ucsfhealth.org/education/...ing/index.html

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

I was changing my clothes a few times every day. (I won't describe what was happening during the night.) I literally had no control. I saw something on "bladder training" that is very similar to the link mentioned above; HOWEVER, I don't know if someone with MS could actually accomplish it.
    I did always try to void every hour while awake but I still had accidents.
    Last edited by newone; 02-19-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: additonal info

Default Bladder Issues

Newone, I think this technique is something you could try but if you are already having several accidents where you have to change clothes you might have progressed to the point that this would not help you. Have you consulted with a urologist about the problem. Have you had any testing done on the problem. A urologist can do "urodynamic testing" to see how the MS is affecting your bladder.

I know there are multiple problems associated with MS and I have the "failure to store" after so many years. I just gave up on changing my clothes and started buying Depend underwear. They are not cheap but I get them at Costco, Sams or the internet but it is better than the alternative which is wetting oneself.

I just noticed you are writing in the past tense. Are you still having problems. Also you might have a UTI that needs treating.

Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 02-19-2012 at 09:50 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've tried Ornade, Ditropan, Detrol, and Vesicare and gave up on them because they made my mouth impossibly dry. Vesicare was slightly less of a problem than the others though.

I think you can take Vesicare as long as you need to.

I found that the amount of benefit I was getting from Vesicare didn't outweigh the problems with mouth dryness.

The link that Vicky (Frog42) gave has some good advice in it, I think.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Default Bladder Issues

Barque, If you can still do the "stop and go" then you still have control over your bladder. The bladder retraining might be beneficial if a person only has stress incontinence or urge incontinence and not MS. MS actually affects the nerves which tell the bladder when to go or not go. After a number of years of MS these signals do not work normally anymore. Then you are incontinent and you can't control your bladder.

Gabriella

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There are many bladder issues that might or might not be connected to MS--residual urine retention, incontinence, urgency, frequency, and the list goes on.

The aim of course is to prevent accidents and to prevent UTIs.

With the situation being as complicated as it is, it would be helpful to have urodynamic testing and to try out any methods that just might work, including exercises to strengthen the pelvic floor, recommended medicines, changing the fluid intake and anything else a doctor you respect suggests.

The situation is even more complicated when you consider that your bladder is changing all the time, and what works for you for a while may stop working later on. Or what doesn't work for you at one time may work at some other time.

You just have to keep on tinkering.
    Last edited by agate; 02-20-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast