Thread: Life Insurance and MS

Default Life Insurance and MS

What impact does MS have on obtaining life insurance? Can one still get it? Will one need a physical exam? Will it be more expensive?

Quote Originally Posted by newone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What impact does MS have on obtaining life insurance? Can one still get it? Will one need a physical exam? Will it be more expensive?
    Don't know your situation, but my Allstate agent told me, if your on disability (SSDI), you can't life insurance through them. Don't know about other companies, but I would think its the same with all of them.

mark s.

Distinguished Community Member

Its my understanding that if you want ins you better get it before your Dx. You can get term group ins through a spouse plan both life and health. The life will be a MUCH smaller amount as a larger amount will require a physical. There is also a waiting period of usually 2 years during this time when they will usually just refund your premiums. If your employer has COBRA you might be able to purchase ins. But it will be alot more $$ than you are paying now. And you only have a limited time to decide.

If you go on SSDI it takes 2years before you get ins and it does not cover your family. There are some goo medicare plans but 2 years is a long time to not be able to go to the Dr. many peoples credit is ruined (like me) during this 2 year period. In many states if you own your home and have ANY income (including your SSDI) $600 there are not many other options available to you.

These thing can and do vary from state to state and even from counties to counties.

I am not making any comments to start a war just the facts ma'am.

Community Member

good luck finding it. if u do, let us know where.

if u have not been diagnosed, buy extra life insurance and supplemental disability insurance NOW

Seems crazy that one cannot get life insurance when all the literature out there says MS does not reduce your lifespan. (won't go into the quality of that lifespan.)