Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Song Lyrics for the Soul

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Lightbulb Song Lyrics for the Soul

I was sitting in a waiting room when a good song came on around the corner and uplifted my spirits. :angel:
    I figured it would be a positive thing to share lyrics which inspire us or lift our moods or even express some darker thoughts but get 'em out.
    Sooo if you write it down, you have to be able to remember how to SING it when the right time comes around to put it to use. Think of it as a singing mantra.
    I'm going first with the tune I heard yesterday.

In the arms of an Angel; may you find some comfort here.

-- Sarah Mclachlan
    In the Arms of an Angel
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

from the dark side....

i say burn all your bridges while you still have control of the flame... by evan's blue.

it means to me to get out of a bad situation while you still have some choices on how to do it. don't wait until you have to go hastily.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

♪No longer lend you strength to that which you wish to be free from,,,,♪

Jewel

There are so many I can pull from Jewel lyrics!!

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I love this song by R.E.M. brings tears to my eyes almost every time I hear it.

Everybody Hurts

'When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on
    .'

Default Whitney's Songs Live On

In honor of Whitney Houston's passing --

The greatest love of all is easy to achieve,
    Learning to love yourself is the greatest love of all.

-- Linda Creed & Michael Masser
    The Greatest Love of All

Last edited by Beader; 02-12-2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: wrong song writers
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Yes Sher, her voice was like no other singer I know. Many mourn her passing. Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

And here's a little Bonnie Raitt to ease your Blues...

Just give me one thing that I can hold on to,
    To believe in this livin' is just a hard way to go.

-- John Prine

Angel from Montgomery

Last edited by Beader; 02-23-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Sher

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Whats' a mantra? What do I do here?
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Lor here is the definition of mantra for you.

A
    mantra is a sound, syllable, word, or group of words that is considered capable of "creating transformation" (cf. spiritual transformation)

Sher had just started a thread about music that moves us. What do you like to listen to?

The word mantra is said to come from a root meaning “that which protects the mind.” In Buddhist meditation, many things can be used as objects of concentration — as “mind protectors.”

Mantras are sounds — words or phrases — that are used as an object of concentration.

The sounds may be chanted out loud, or may be heard internally. When the mantra is chanted internally, it is the “inner sound” of the thought that is used as an object of focus in meditation.
    When the mantra is chanted out loud, the sound of the mantra is a focus for attention, although we may also focus on the vibrations in the body, and the movements of the body.

I started doing meditation in the early 70s & have tried all different varieties. My long-time therapist shared many of my interests, so when I'd get off the phone, I'd ask her for a "mantra of the week" to help me thru. It might be something like "when one door closes, another opens", which I would repeat esp. during times of stress. For many years when I'd be panicking over something, I'd just say "I'm OK, I'm OK, I'm OK".

You can do the same thing with phrases from songs. It can be something meaningful, as people suggested above or it can be almost nonsense syllables. If you like the tune, you could repeat/sing "do you know the way to San Jose?" if that feels comforting to you.

Lately I've been hung up on Marrakesh Express because I remembered that one of my Lithuanian cousins had taken a vacation to Tunisia & I'd been trying to get hold of him by email. But honestly, the song isn't really worth remembering. Ooops, sorry I brought it up if it gets stuck in anyone else's head.
    Sher

11. The following user says "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast