Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question regarding child colonoscopy

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Christina & son))))))

My heart goes out to you. Such a difficult situation. But you are both weathering it well. Stay close to each other.

No one wants to receive or give an enema. Some thoughts to try to make it more tolerable: create a comfy setting, with pillows and whatever makes your little guy feel safe and secure; play some music or sing a song together, or talk to each other about something other than the enema to distract his attention from it; assure him that it is okay to not want to do this, while reminding him why it's necessary and that it will soon be over; just keep telling him over and over how brave he is and how proud of him you are and how much you love him and want him to feel better.

Lots of cuddling and snuggling, and togetherness by reading a book, watching a movie, playing a game, etc. when it's over.

It might be worth calling his doc's office to ask if there is a less invasive way, as Mary Grace mentioned.

Meanwhile, sending prayers for both of you as you prepare this week for the procedure.

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

well, my 13 year old had this done yesterday. his was for rectal bleeding. the day before the procedure he had to take pico-salex at noon and six pm. with only clear fluids after breakfast and then nothing after midnight until the procedure which got delayed to 2pm the next day. They put in an IV and gave him general anesthesia. One hour after returning to the floor we left...about two hours after the procedure started. He wasn`t impressed with going to the bathroom so much or with not eating but it was manageable. I think it is so good he didn`t have to think about it until the day before when the end was in sight. I`d hate to have to do it over days, no wonder he`s complaining!!! His thirst the day of was a challenge, I could see him fading but he was a trooper. he said the med to put him to sleep hurt a lot but only for about 3 seconds and he was out. he had no pain after except for gas pains and his stomach was a little unsettled. He was a little moody and tired the rest of the day, likely from the stress but maybe from the meds. He was happy to have soup at a take out place after. Overall, I think it was alright, not something he would refuse to repeat ...
    his results were a healthy gut, unless the biopsy says otherwise, but she wants him to take daily softeners which he hates so that will be interesting. He didn`t have problems going but he had cuts so almost liquid is better for him
    wish you the best
    and just love him through it. it isn`t nice. it is embarrassing. but it is just a procedure and it shouldn`t hurt and it`ll be in the past quickly.
    lucinda
    Lucinda
    mom to four boys who keep things interesting...

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Thank you ladies, it is wonderful knowing we aren't alone and getting some feedback.

We survived the enemas, the two days without anything but liquids and two days of laxatives but today when it finally came time to start the colon cleanse stuff he couldn't even swallow the first mouthful. Started gagging and I knew he was gonna blow any second. We tried it warm and cold, guzzling is hard to do when you are trying not to vomit lol. Of course this was almost immediately after the office closed. So I called and left a message with the doc's service but I have heard nothing back. His procedure is tomorrow morning at ten but I am going to call long before to find out what they want me to do. I can't imagine another week of the same.

The enemas are because he has major blockage with his encopresis. I am pretty sure we got most of the blockage out but his bowel movements are by no means clear like they want. Just runny. If they want us to try it again. I am going to mention the bottle of Mirilax. Right now he has been getting a daily dose but wonder if maybe doing an entire bottle would work better.

He is still my cuddle bunny so loving and snuggling and praising is not a tall order. He is a wonderful kid.

Thank ya'll

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

The doc's office is wonderful and thank God they were in today. So they said he could eat until four and we are to start all over again for Monday. Doc says ice cold and a straw with a Gatorade chaser will make it go down easier. Something for nausea if he needs it. I don't know why because it is not that he is sick to his stomach, the taste makes him vomit. I tasted it, don't blame him. Kid was told he could eat until 4 so asked him what he wanted and he picked Ramen chicken noodle LOLOL. Oooohed and aaaahed over how delicious it was. Guess anything tastes good after 3 days.

I hope all the little sweet faces in your families are having a good weekend.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 02-18-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12