Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding child colonoscopy

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Default Question regarding child colonoscopy

I have talked to a few adults about their colonoscopy and have heard many different takes as to how uncomfortable it is. My mother said hers was painful and uncomfortable. I know that they usually give you something to help you relax.

With a child will they knock the child out to do the procedure or will my little guy be alert and feel most everything? Can they knock him out or is it usually not policy? I guess I shoulda asked when I was there but why would I think of something so simple lol.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Christina))))))

Welcome to CN2!

I'm sure that a couple of parents here have experience with colonoscopies, and they will drop by to share with you soon. Unfortunately, I'm not one of them, as neither of my boys have had a colonoscopy.

Jon's colostomy was the result of emergency surgery, so he didn't have time for a colonoscopy. And it's never been recommended for him. Hmmm ... food for thought for me there.

I know that my boys have been given Versed for the endoscopies. And in the hospital setting, another drug, which I can't remember now, was given for Jon's trache. I was told by the doctor that Jon would be out during the procedure, but would wake up quickly and remember nothing. Thankfully, Jon did wake up quickly, and he wasn't groggy. I have no idea if he remembers or was aware of the procedure. He was really happy to have that vent tube out of his throat, which is all he cared about at that point.

To set your mind at ease and to gather all of the necessary information, before you take your little guy in for his colonoscopy, perhaps you could call the doctor's office or the hospital and speak to a nurse, who could explain the procedure and the protocol to you. I would imagine that they would be more than happy to fill you in on the particulars. You certainly have every right to ask and to know.

You also have a right to know what the options are: which drugs might be used to sedate/relax him; whether it would be intolerable for him to have the procedure without anaesthetic; whether you'll be allowed to be present with your little guy during the procedure.

These are best known before going in for the appointment. I always have a ton of questions, and I forget them, so I write them down, and I leave space to jot down the answers.

I hope our moms with colonoscopy experience will respond soon to help you.

Please let us know what you find out and keep us posted on the outcome. Sending healing prayers for you and your little guy ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Distinguished Community Member

Christina, My daughter has had 2 since November. They did it under anasthesia. I also asked for a mask induction( a little laughing gas to put her to sleep) before they even did her IV so there would be no memory of anything that hurt. They let me walk into the room with ehr and stay until she was asleep from the mask. It was very quick maybe 20-30 minutes. She ahd no ill affects after it. She woke up pretty quickly and had no pain or discomfort. We went home within an hour of waking up. I thought the prep was going to be awful but she did great with that too.(except for the fact that it didn't "clean her out beccause she's SO constipated) She had to drink 64oz gatorade with Miralax (a whole bottle), and 2 dulcolax. She loves gatorade so that part wasn't too bad. she did get hungry but settled for italian ice and chicken broth. In fact by afternoon she was saying the chicken broth was "scrumptous". Good luck and if you have any other questions let me know.
    Mary Grace
    Mary Grace

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi,

Never had one yet....but I know from talking to my mom & mil that they are put under general for that procedure. My mom has said it was no big deal. MIL did not enjoy the cleaning out process and will not ever get one done again. I definitely recommend getting the IV put in after they gas the child...much easier on everyone! I always request that for Caitlin when she has surgeries. Good luck!!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Unhappy

I had one in August, 5 months ago. Only recently have my intestines settled down. Had 5 polyps removed, at least now things can move along. I was almost totally blocked. I was really miserable but now I must have prune juice and prunes daily and stool softeners here and there.

Thank you everyone! Great turnout and I am grateful for all the input.

Yes I usually do write questions down but I hadn't realized they were going to schedule a colonoscopy right then lol.

I will definitely be asking for the mask for my guy.

I am also wondering about probiotics. I know that this big cleansing they have going on will clean him out good but I am concerned about the good bacteria and getting his gut 'normalized'. Should I wait until after the colonoscopy? Will it affect any tests they do? Should I not worry about it until after the test then start?

Shoot that's going on my list of questions lol.

thank you all so much.

Distinguished Community Member andromeda31's Avatar

Hi!

Just thought I would write some more as I saw my mom at the gym today and we were walking on the treadmills and she was saying that she is taking my aunt tomorrow for her 'procedure'. So I asked her some questions about it and she said the worst was the cleansing process. And I asked if it hurt after and she said not at all...just thought I would share that with you, though I know everyone is different! :) Good luck!

Lisa O.
    Lisa O: mom to Caitlin (14-CP, VA shunt, seizures), Brandon (12), Tyler (10), Logan (7)...my babies are all getting so old!!

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Christina))))))

Yep, probiotics belong on your list of questions. :) A nurse or the doctor's assistant could probably answer all of these questions for you, as I mentioned in my previous post, so don't hesitate to call the doc's office with your list of questions.

Hoping your little guy comes through with flying colors ~

Love & Light,

Rose
    Mom to Jon, 48, (seizure disorder; Gtube; trache; colostomy; osteoporosis; hypothyroid; enlarged prostate; lymphedema, assorted mysteries) and Michael, 32, (intractable seizures; Gtube), who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003 and now resides in Heaven. Our Angel Jon lives at home with me and Jim, the world's most wonderful dad.

Thank you guys for your support. Yes I am tardy, sorry. Well my 11yr old openly defied me today for the first time. The Encopresis has taken it's toll on all of us but none more than he. He only has 2 enemas left, one tonight and one Wednesday night as part of preparation for his colonoscopy which is Saturday. Got everything ready and when it was time to do it he refused, sobbing, which just kills me. No amount of threats worked, he was perfectly happy to give up anything to not have to do it. What am I gonna do? Throw him to the ground and force him lol? So for openly defying me, I grounded him and sent him to bed with no dinner. (he just had a snack not too long before that so it wasn't too painful, for him, it was excrutiating for me) I had to physically start him towards his bedroom because he refused to go to bed.

Gggrr I hate having to punish him and rarely do we have to so of course as soon as he went to bed I started crying into the dinner I was making. I heard him crying a bit later and he called me in to apologize. So I crawled into bed with him and we talked and will try it again tomorrow.

It is so hard cause I know this is humiliating and painful for him. I am concerned that he won't be cleared up in time. Does anyone know if he is still blocked up when he goes for the procedure if the doc will want to give him an enema and try again, can they? Does that work? Or will we just have to go another week and try again?

I feel so horrible for him.

Distinguished Community Member

I'm so so sorry, I know how it hurts your heart to have to be the one who puts your child through this. I've cried amny tears over these issues and sometimes wish I could just be mom and not ahve to be Dr., Therapist, teacher, etc. That said... I can tell you our experience but I don't know if it will help. Kathleen has had 2 colonoscopies. her prep did not consist of an enema I have no idea how I could ahve gotten her to comply with that so I'm very thankful we didn't have to do that. She had to drink 64oz of gatorade with a bottle of Miralax. Both times it did not clean her out but the GI doc did go forward with the procedure and got a pretty good look. It wasn't easy but he also did get biopsies too. Good Luck I hope after all this you can get the procedure done and behind you. ((((HUGS)))) to you mom!
    Mary Grace

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast