Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoarding & Un-Hoarding TV Shows

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

IMELDESSA!!!!!!

lmao...so good to finally meet you ! i've heard SO MUCH about you, especially from the woman who adopted me, who happened to be the black-sheep-of-the-family twin to, yes...YOUR MOTHER !

well, i have no foot problems so i don't buy special comfort shoes, but i do buy shoes for comfort. i attribute this fortunate set of circumstances to the fact that much of the time during the warm weather months of my childhood i went barefoot because my mother lacked the necessary mental accuity to realize children had feet and needed shoes. i have very few shoes with higher heels and the ones i do have are only 2 inchers. i will pm you some good websites for those expensive shoes .

my mother loved to shop, also. unfortunately, she never bought ME anything i needed. boots, hats, mittens, scarves for winter...nope i didn't have them. a bra when i was obviously mature and an older girl at school had to tell me i needed one ? nope, mom was oblivious to me. the only part of my body she recognized was my brain, which was the holder of all her problems. how could i tell a mother my problems, e.g. strange tics, girls telling me i needed a bra, the fact that i only had one pair of shoes...when she was so clueless as to her own angst? and then two incidents i remember where the heel on my shoe broke at a critical point. once in 8th grade when i went on a 5 day school camping trip and i had to borrow a pair of tennis shoes from a girl i didn't know. the second when i was a senior in high school and we went on a day long class trip and the heel of my shoe broke and i walked half the day limping until i just thought, "screw this", and i broke the heel off the other shoe. fast forward to 2007, i lost 92 pounds and the interest of my husband and the shoe buying started (i have kept off the weight and got rid of the husband last october ). both my parents worked, so my parents didn't lack the money either, just the common sense.

imeldessa...i am sorry you have had to go through this childhood angst also. however, it bears to mention that everything we have genetically and behaviorally inherited has made us the people we are today. and you are right, not all differences are negative. i don't know who i would be today if i hadn't gone through what i did the past 56 years of my life. i like the me i turned out to be today. not perfect, but good enough.

...and let's not ever talk about ebay, ok ?

yes, it's also nice to have met another wonderfully obsessive/compulsive partner in shoe-buying. i look forward to more interesting conversations with you !

imeldtette
    Last edited by tic chick; 01-31-2012 at 08:30 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

okay...

so i saw a pair of shoes on ebay the day before yesterday. really pretty brown leather sandals with a flowery design on the instep. they were dansko shoes and this model sells at about $110 online. the shoes were brand new, in their original box and $44. they have 2 inch heels and a one inch platform in front. i thought about them all freaking day. i bought them....yes, i did.

mea culpa,
    imeldtette (jeannie)

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

O Dear Immy,

Well, we had such high hopes for you, but one fall from grace... Let's just say that we pray that it does not start a dangerous trend, a downward spiral as it were. The shoes do sound cute as a button, and we know that you shopped for a Very Good Price for a Dansko! The question is -- do you feel better now? Happy? Or guilty? Or so pleased that you want to roll on the floor with them and rub them all over? I'll let you decide.

It's funny that our mothers' behaviors were so opposite and yet we ended up with the same buying compulsions. Yours ignored you and your very real needs to the point of broken shoes. I believe you take the Cinderella Prize on that one!

Mine indulged me and her fantasies of the Perfect Child, who obviously was my sister! Maybe she felt like she had to make it up to me, her blatant favoritism, just a little? BTW I still go barefoot as often as possible -- by preference. And I think I must have had a recent Asian past life, because I always take off my shoes when I enter a house, any house, and stack them neatly in a row by the door.

The BRA Issue??? OMG, the horror, the humiliation. Mom can't talk about sex or anything remotely related to it. So a First Bra is gonna be a huge traumatic deal, certain to raise all sorts of phobic issues. Which it did.

Good on you for losing 92 pounds! Bravo! My one friend went on a liquid diet in a hopital out-patient setting. Other friends didn't see her for quite a while and were astonished at her weight loss. "How much DID you lose?" was always the question. "Ooo, three hundred pounds", she'd say demurely. "Three HUNDRED?!" would invariably be the reply. "Yeah, one hundred and twenty-five from my side of the bed, and a hundred and seventy-five from his side!" she'd laugh.

I heartily agree with you that we are the people we've become due to our past experiences, good and bad. They nuance us.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Uh oh. I'm feeling kind of naughty after visiting one of those shoe sites. My favorite doc who I've known for twenty years was showing me her shoes, clogs with backs in a snakeskin pattern. They're her most comfortable pair, but they're brownish and she can't wear them with everything, she'd like another color. I reminded her of my favorite site plus the fact that shoe companies often discontinue certain styles after a while, so she definitely should order another color before they disappear. I was saying Dansko, but she was saying something like "Sangria", so I had to go check.

Bad move. Now I have like twelve pairs on my Wish List, maybe half on sale or clearance. Many of those only have "one left in stock, so order soon!" :ambivalence: Ay yi yi. I absolutely covet one dressy pair that's fairly flat in a silvery leather -- mules with a very cool disc-like strap. Plus they have my top brand in a mesh summery shoe in Denim Blue! I lurve denim. I've had three pairs of those shoes and only one pair left that's wearable. **gnashing of teeth**

Imeldette, have you worn your new babies yet when you've gone out dancing? How I wish I could still dance and not keel over from the pain all too soon. Not glue my feet to the floor because aerobic exercise turns me into a Martian as I hit the proverbial wall and switch to anaerobic immediately? Not fair, god, not fair!
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

imeldessa,

i sense the frustration, i have been there...not QUITE 12 pairs on my wish list, but maybe 3. we MUST find a way to narrow this down.

okay, i think you have to visualize your wardrobe and where you could possibly wear these lovely sounding shoes. now silver is a very nice and hip color right now and it goes with EVERYTHING, plus it's a seasonless color. BUT, your favorite brand in a summery shoe. and denim...which you lurrrrrrrve~! i think it is better to get one pair of shoes you absolutely love then 3 or 4 that might be less expensive, but don't make you feel like the cinderella you are. could you possibly put up a link for both shoes so i can help you with this heady decision? then we will edit them out so other's do not get the same pair, cause i HATE to go to a party and see another woman wearing the SAME PAIR of shoes that i have on!

the dansko's i just bought are summer shoes, sandal slides. and oh! they turned out to be the color "chino" which is a kind of olive green...which i loved even more than the brown i thought they were when i bought them. here in detwah we only wear sandals from june through september, if it stays warm. i don't think i could dance in these shoes...at least not the hustle. but i DO have a pair of slouch ankle boots which i WILL wear once i get these hustle dances down pat. this one lady, who is my hero at the hustle class, wears tall boots with HEELS while dancing. i admire the heck out of her cause she also looks like she's in her mid to late 60's.

this is the dansko shoe: http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-da...axy-p_id207442 the color in this pic is TOO light...they are definitely an olive green...think olives!)

these are my slouch boots and they are comfy!: http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-sp...own-p_id242617 i love the way the adjustable ties on the side make the ruched cuff. i have a denim skirt i will wear them with, but i need a pair of straighter-legged jeans to be able to tuck inside the boots. (oh, i got the boots when they came out and with a sale and discount on that brand that weekend, i got them for $99!).

imma, i really empathize with you about choosing shoes. it's the food equivalent of choosing which flavor of eddy's ice cream i want when i'm in front of them and they are on sale at meijer. today i got key lime pie, my ab fab!

sher , we all have to accept our limitations, whatever they be. i will never be able to drive because of my ocd. this causes me, at the least, extreme problems if i have to go somewhere far because i have to get someone to drive me. i have children and the separated from husband, but when he goes i will be down to one son who lives at home. i walk A LOT, now that i have a bike i will expand my radius in the summer.

i can see you are a talented person. i am a craft klutz. the only thing i can seem to handle are flowers. i can make lovely living arrangements in plantars and gardens. i couldn't draw a straight line with a ruler. celebrate your gifts! minimize and accept your limitations. no one can do everything either because of physical or other inability.

(((hugs))),
    immy
    Last edited by tic chick; 02-18-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Dear Immy,

Whoa! From those pix I can tell you must be one Hot Mama! Dancing in the ruched boots -- what a dream. I'll have to live out my dance fantasies thru you and your hustle. I used to have one little group of friends who took -- wait for it -- TANGO lessons! Then they got to buy the sexy accessories, the loong earrings with all the motion when you moved, the dancer heels, etc. Jealous much? No, not me. :ambivalence:

I can understand why you might not want to wear the new sandals in the snow, but they are very peekaboo hot. IMHO serious social dancing requires a strap so that you don't turn your ankle and ruin the evening as well as your foot with all the new moves and impossibly difficult steps you've mastered. Plus the dips. Not good to play Cinderella when somebody dips you and makes you want to swoon anyway. Also not good when somebody drops you because they were either too drunk or the cement floor was too uneven -- don't know which. Cement floor = not a fun place to land when you have no way to recover your balance because you've just placed your trust in some dude who claims to be able to dance. But that was decades ago in another time and another life. Also when I was young enough that men were still trying to impress me with their dance moves. Now they're old and creaky/cranky and nobody but the women want to dance at weddings. Bah humbug to olde farts!

Back to the shoe obsession. I think I've narrowed it down to five: one dressy silver low, one dressy black strappy heel, one red tailored mule with detailing, one black suede mule with scrollwork, one denim shade mesh summer mule. Middle three on sale. Yesterday I started walking around the house in my dress shoes to see what was still comfortable with the bad bone spur right near where dress shoes cut across the instep. One navy Clarks Mary Janes not working till after foot surgery. I have to practice more with the Aravon low heels to see if my back can tolerate the forward angle. Keen brick cut-out MJs doing OK, but brick does not go with everything. Now it suddenly turns out that I have two dressy events coming up soon: arts council wine tasting dinner with sdq BF, and community dressy event of the year movable feast gourmet dinner. Ooo my!

So let's find out if I can do this. Sexy silver http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-sa...her-p_id235059 with what looks like a flexible edge over the instep. Black suede with scrollwork http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-so...sed-p_id202259. Red tailored with detailing http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-ta...red-p_id218744. Strappy heels http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-cl...ack-p_id171695 AND denimy summer shoes I definitely wear http://www.onlineshoes.com/womens-me...nim-p_id245733 BUT not on sale, maybe never on sale, and not quite summer yet. Maybe can wait?

Phew! Somehow I wasn't doing that quite right and it was tedious to paste up. I desperately need to improve certain of my computer not-skills.

Jeannie, you're so sweet for saying what you did. I have much to be grateful for, including my creativity and arts and crafts work. Thank you for reminding me. I didn't realize that you can't drive, which must be more of a headache than I can ever imagine. You certainly wouldn't be able to function out here in the boonies without a car, and even with one, everywhere is a long haul. But the surrounding are beautiful even if I still can't see them so well.

HUGS back!
    Sher
    Last edited by Beader; 02-18-2012 at 11:02 AM.
    Sher

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12