Thread: For SAD: Goddesses of Spring

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Lightbulb For SAD: Goddesses of Spring

For those who might be interested, I did a bit of research on the multitude of goddesses of Spring from many traditions. I'll list as many as I can from my scribbled blurry notes. Feel free to add others.

Persephone aka Kore, Hebe, Maia -- Greek
    Proserpina, Flora, Libera -- Roman
    Freya, Gefn -- Nordic
    Lada, Kostroma -- Baltic, Slavic
    Ostara, Olwen, Brigit, Blodewedd -- Celtic
    Sita -- Hindu
    Artio -- Swiss
    Beiwe -- Finnish
    Dziewanna -- Eastern European
    Hare Ke -- West African

Right now, I plan on making an offering of Kleenex to all of them. Maybe some Vitamin C too. And D3 might help.

Sher

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

I know some Greek, two Roman, One Nordic, one celtic, and that be it. love me a bit of trivia.

Looks like you aren't faring too well in the sniffles department lol. Hope your offerings help.

Maybe I need Echinacea tea too?

I found another Roman, if I can read her -- Anna Peranna.
    Maybe she's the goddess of perennials? Like -- PLEASE come back up! Where did I plant you and can I recognize your leaves & not pull them as weeds?
    And I'd never heard of Flora before except as a turn-of-the-last-century female name. Who was Flora Dora or was she a song?

OK, folks, we're in that last week count-down for SPRING!

It's been feeling like summer in my neck of the woods and I hope it holds on. I know some of you have your seed packets all ready already [so to speak], so I'm looking forward to Chris' Alternative Gardening thread. In my lucky lil microclimate, we have daffodils, magnolias, other early blossoming trees that I can''t see well enough to name, and a few tulips. YAY!

And some of my mint was hardy enough to stay green all winter along with the rosemary and the funky Euro ice palm. I think I spotted something coming up that might be lemon verbena.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Okay Sher you got me all excited. Now I gotta delve into more Google for exotic trees. Europalms? Yep gonna look.

Spring!!! Yay, seemed to take too long and now I say, it's here already lol.

Don't get too excited, Chris, it's more like a very low bushy thing that's about 12" high but tends to survive winters. The leaves are fan-like and come out of some central stalk which seems buried to me right now. I'll try to take a photo tomorrow for ya. It has survived its second winter and this time doesn't look too too bedraggled. Last winter it looked pretty iffy.
    Sher
    My Life Menu: CFS probably since birth, full flavored since the 80s, with Fibromyalgia, Major Depression with a side order of Anxiety and Agoraphobia sauce, Restless Leg Syndrome with spicy Other Sleep Disorders, 11 Eye Surgeries, a generous helping of Gut Problems

It's TODAY at 5:14 UTC [is that GMT?] !
    Time for SAD and the Winter Demons to disappear.

Time for seeds to sprout. And blossoms to bloom.

All the Spring goddesses have come home to roost. We should celebrate! I think that many of us have already started by playing in the dirt.
    Sher