Thread: Jumping to Last Post I Read

Distinguished Community Member Beader's Avatar

Question Jumping to Last Post I Read

Am I doing something wrong? On other boards, when I return to a topic I've read or posted in, I jump to the last post I'd previously read. Here I'm back at the start of the thread. Is there something else I should be doing? Otherwise, I'm re-reading all the old stuff and not getting easily to the new stuff.

Thanks.

Sher

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Sher if you go up to settings next to your name you may be able to change it in there. Down at the bottom of the page it asks about display and then gives you choices such as Linear oldest first, linear newest first. That may change it. Also when you come to a thread title beside it it shows how many pages, you can select the last page so you are not going back to the beginning.

I hope that helps and that I understood what you meant.

Chris, The problem is that others may have added more comments since I last visited that thread, so jumping to the last page may not help me figure out where I left off. But I'll take a look where you suggested & see what that does or if it only adds to my inherent state of confusion. Thanks.

Sher

In that case I think the only thing you can do is go to your last post in any thread and read your way to catching up. That is the way we all have to do it. The closest you can come to reading the last post first is changing your settings but to see just posts that have come up since your own last post or where you left off reading there is no way. I don't think there is any other way to do it. There is new posts up top but that isn't always reliable.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Maybe someone with more brains than me will come along with a suggestion lol.

There is also a way to subscribe to threads so that if it has any new posts in it they come up in your settings.
    Last edited by houghchrst; 01-20-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Welcome to BrainTalk, Sher!

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to be able to start reading posts from where you left off last time and read to the most current post? If so, I hope my answer helps.

Houghchrst was right to lead you to the "SETTINGS" page. Here are detailed instructions on what to do and a link to a page that explains all the modes.

In the upper right hand corner of the page, where your screen name is, you will see other words after it. Click on the word, "SETTINGS". When you get there you will see a box labelled "MY SETTINGS" on the left hand side of the page. Inside that box, you will see "MY ACCOUNT" in black and underneath that "GENERAL SETTINGS" in blue. Click on "GENERAL SETTINGS". About half way down that page you will see a box with the heading "THREAD DISPLAY OPTIONS". The second selection under it is "THREAD DISPLAY MODE". There is a drop-down box there with 4 options. To go back to the last post you read when you sign-on, pick "Linear-Oldest First", as your option. MAKE SURE you scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on the box that says "SAVE CHANGES" after you change anything on that page.

If you want to read what the various settings mean, you can go to this page: http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...thread_display (click on that). Scroll down about 1/3 of the way down that page and read what it says under the headings:

Thread Display Options and Viewing New Posts or Today's Posts

I hope this helps.

Once again, we welcome you to BT !
    Last edited by Moderator #7; 01-20-2012 at 09:26 PM.
    Moderator #7

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Yay! Thank you Mod 7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beader View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Am I doing something wrong? On other boards, when I return to a topic I've read or posted in, I jump to the last post I'd previously read. Here I'm back at the start of the thread. Is there something else I should be doing? Otherwise, I'm re-reading all the old stuff and not getting easily to the new stuff.

Thanks.

Sher
    Welcome Sher :)

You can go to the first new post since your last visit by clicking on the icon to the left of the thread title. In the attached screen shot the red arrow points to the "New Post" icon.

newposticon.jpg
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Dear Mike and Number 7,

Thanks so much for your feedback. NOW it's finally working right! Except the little double arrow icon is over on the right of the thread title, which when I click over it now proclaims that it will take me to my last post. Yay!

I had already set my settings to the correct configuration sometime during my previous incarnation here, but just doing that was failing to work the wonders that I had hoped for. But now all is well. Much gratitude.

Sher