Thread: Dementia with Strokes

Distinguished Community Member puddykat's Avatar

Default Dementia with Strokes

I have VaD, Vascular Dementia, for many years. For me it causes small seizures, tia's (small strokes), and larger strokes which involve one side of my body that goes numb. When one of these things occur part of my brain dies.

I'm in later stages of Dementia, having some tough problems, thought maybe someone here could help or make suggestions.

Having trouble with hearing/seeing things, mostly hearing things. I'd think my SO is getting phone calls from his 'girlfriend' in his bedroom....there are even specific times. Some days I sleep all day; he knows how to check that out before he even comes home. Tuesday he stops at a pub, swear he brought her home for a couple of hours as he knew I was sleeping....but I wasn't, just laying in bed, couldn't hear voices to well as they went downstairs but she was here.

We've talked about the phone calls, he claims it's my dementia, walk into his room any night I hear something, he said. Was going to do just that last night but he locked the door.....when he says he has all day meetings, etc, how can I believe him. He loved to take 1/2 days on Friday to spend them with me; he hasn't for last two weeks as I think he's seeing her.

I don't if I'm imagining all this or not. Only way is to walk in on him. Yet, I'm glued to the bed; afraid to find out? But one of these times I have to do it for my own sanity...as he could be trying to drive me insane.

Has a stroke knocked out front of brain, my imagination is running wild from it? I don't know what's real and what's not real anymore....do know I'm wide awake when the above events occur.

I looked into drug treatments; some of them can kill you! or make you sleep all day, and some strokes/seizures have me sleeping all day already, maybe 2 times a week.

Anyone having experience with this, please write......any thoughts, please write. Thanking you ahead of time for your help, hugs, kat
    TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia

Distinguished Community Member

One thing I would recommend is not to do anything to alienate your SO, especially since you don't know. Also, I think you should have a counselor to help you separate what is suspicion from what is the true situation.

Question

Is there any physical disability that prevents you from getting out of bed when you think you hear something?
    There have been times for me that I think I may be heading down the same road; mine is memory loss though. (Better yet - lack of memory! )

suse

Distinguished Community Member puddykat's Avatar

Time wise I know when she's going to call so I'm ready at edge of bed, make sure I'm hearing what I'm hearing; he's more of a yes/no person, I would think not to draw too much attention to himself as his voice is very distinctive, can be loud; mostly he whispers. One night I finally got the nerve to go in, he was carefully covered up in bed which he never is, tore covers back, nothing, in a good mood, unusual. Found nothing. Back to bed I went, conversation continued. It still happens almost every night, getting I don't care. If it's going on, he must have a new age phone that goes in his ear, cuts conversation noise etc. If it's the dementia, it's the only thing I'm hearing. He's done alot to hurt my heart in our married life....what's one more thing. Thanks for all your input friends. hugs, kat
    TMJ/shoulder/parotid tumor surgery, Scoliosis, Lumbar fusion for Spondylolithesis; now in entire spine. Herniated cervical disc, no surgery, high risk/Vascular Dementia (VaD), Breast Cancer survivor 12 yrs, Fibromyalgia, Osteoarthritis. Rapid transit small bowel/no weight gain, IBS, 'cusp'/Crohns; Diviculosis; myoclonic dystonia. VaD, my 8th yr, causes tia's, seizures, strokes, Parkinson's, Lewy Body Dementia