Thread: Just registered 12-17-11

New Community Member

Default Just registered 12-17-11

Hello,

I recently had a cerebral angiogram with coil embolization (Aug. 2011) and have been dealing with residual issues, including excessive drowsiness (it seems I need 9 to 11 hours of sleep at night, and still have to take a 30 to 90 minute nap in the afternoon). My doctor has sent me for blood tests and we will discuss things a week or so from today.

Hope everybody is doing well.

honhs

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar

Welcome Honhs. I am glad you found us. Look around and pop in where ever you like. There are many forums that may speak to you.

New Community Member

Thanks, houghchrst, it's nice to find so much info in one place. I've been spending time looking around.

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Hello honhs
    did you have an aneurysm? Sleeping and a general feeling of tiredness are quiet normal for any type of brain surgery, and yes the coiling of an aneurysm is still brain surgery. I had mine coils in September and have the same issues with needing sleep. Your body, is telling you it needs to rest, and everyone heals at a different pace. You must listen to your body. You will eventually get on track and will be able to increase your activity as your body adjusts to the coils and the fact that there has been a bit of tinkering in your brain. You might check out the aneurysm forum, and can get so much information from the archives from the old site. In the mean time , welcome to brain talk :)

New Community Member

Thanks, Ging, I'm learning a lot from this site. Actually, my problem was an arteriovenous fistula in the cavernous sinus behind the right eye. A vein and an artery had meshed and formed a fistula, or an abnormal connection, such that the artery was draining blood into the vein, and causing problems. The doctors had to insert 62 coils (I counted from the medical records) to plug up the fistula. Apparently that problem has been resolved and what I'm dealing with are residual issues, which are bewildering and annoying. I had been on Gabapentin and was told to stop it a month ago, which I did, and still the drowsiness and forgetfulness issues remain.

It's interesting to hear that you have the sleep issues, too. I'll be checking out the aneurysm information. It's too bad that doctors don't warn patients of the side effects of surgery, but I guess they get so relaxed when things are not life-threatening. And now the drowsiness is starting again so I'm off to bed. Have a good one!