Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need suggestions for completing an MRI

New Community Member

Default Need suggestions for completing an MRI

Hi,
    It's so nice to be back and see so many familiar names. I haven't been on in a very long time (2-3 yrs?) and when I was I posted as AK.

When I came back I found the new website and it's great. I couldn't get AK to take for some reason so I just used the term of endearment that one of my step-daugters calls me "AnnieK".

The main reason I have been away is that my computer time has been very limited due to declined health. I am writing tonight because I felt that someone here would likely be able to help me with this particular dilema.

Over the past eight years of chronic pain I have had many MRI's of various parts of my spine, and although all of them are terribly painful because of the condition of my spine I am able to get through them and produce readable film for the radiologist. This time however, something has obviously changed. I knew I was worse now but I didn't realize the MRI would be a problem. I have tried twice now, the first time without any sedation and then this morning my doctor prescribed 10mg of diazepam, which I could not feel any effect from what-so-ever.

The problem both times is that I have muscle spasms in my back from my waist to my tailbone that go on almost constantly 24/7. The technichian said that the film is not readable it is so blurry from the constant motion. They thought the meds would help relax me but these happen in every postion all the time and I am on potent pain medication already. I take a muscle relaxer every night too that I have told my doctor I can't tell that it helps. I waited last night and didn't take it until 2am hoping it would still be in my system to aid the diazepam.

This is just one of the many pain problems I have but it is a big one because it causes me to often feel as though I am going to fall and I am SO sore I can't even explain in words how it feels. It's been going on like this for at least 18 months and I really feel like I have to have relief from these spasms soon. However, the doctor says he has to have the MRI to see what is going on in order to help me. (Don't know why it has taken this long to order the MRI in the first place but that is another story?)

I am calling tomorrow to make my monthly appt for my regular meds and to discuss how we are going to handle all this and I would like to have your help. What do you suggest?
    Thanks so much, Annie K.

This is just a suggestion...but...certainly worth a try....have you tried reflexology on your feet....I worked with a woman who had MS...and part of her disease...were these tremendous muscle spasms...that were strong enough to fling anybody caught in one....I discovered a spot on her foot...by accident...that when she was in spasm...as soon as I touched it...the spasm stopped...and we laughed..because she had a mole on that exact spot on her foot....It was weird...but it worked every single time....

Years later....my sister had cancer...that spread to her brain....and she had shaking spasms....that shook her whole body so bad...that the bed banged on the wall is she tried to lay down...so I worked on her feet....for hours....constantly working the brain points....and the spot known from my friends spasms....after a while...the spasms stopped...and my sister fell asleep...and I continued to work on her feet...while she was sleeping...until someone arrived to take me home...

Before my sister went to sleep...she couldn't talk....in sentences...or remember her life....Hours after I was taken home...my sisters daughter who was staying at my home...came running into the house...I thought something was wrong from the way she was running and crying my name....

Her face was pouring tears...I thought maybe my sister had died...but...my niece said that her mother was able to sleep for many hours...and when she woke up...she could speak...and remember...and she wasn't having any spasms....

I continued to work on her feet until she died....there are a great many reflexologists that have far more knowledge than I....the important thing to do...if you see one...is after they work on you...soak your feet in warm water with about one cup of apple cider vinegar in it....this will draw the toxin...I can't think of the name...it is an acid released in the muscles when you exercise...that makes your muscles feel sore...soaking your feet will help tremendously with the soreness that would come from having a reflexologist work deeply on your feet...

I have a spinal injury...and sometimes will get muscle spasms...and I take vitamin B12...the kind that dissolve under your tongue...and that helps me...but...your case may not be from the same kind of source as mine...

But...reflexology will help you...regardless if it solves the problem...it will give you certain amounts of relief...without any doubt...don't expect a permant cure instantly...but it will give you improvements....

Blessings to you....and Blessings to All......

Community Member

I think you can be sedated during your MRI. Speak with your doctor about your inability to remain still. Good Luck........... I was given a shot of valium during one of my MRI's, but that was for anxiety.

New Community Member

Yes shinty, I believe the diazepam is in the valium family if I am not mistaken and that was the attempt but obviously they would have needed to give me much more. I was instructed to bring someone with me to drive me home so I know they thought that little 10mg pill was going to do something but it sure didn't. I am assuming your valium shot worked and I am glad for you that it did. Were you in the hospital for that MRI or was it at a place that only does MRI's? Just curious because the one I was at wasn't able to give any drugs at all.

New Community Member

Hummer,
    I read another one of your posts somewhere last night and you and I have alot in common I believe. Aren't you the one whose injuries came from a surgery? Sorry if I have the wrong person in mind. Anyway, I have never even thought of something like reflexology. To be honest I don't know anyone who has ever used it and have no knowledge of it what-so-ever except what you just told me. I will educate myself a bit on it an consider it though. I really appreciate you sharing that story about your sister. That must have been emotional to type out, probably stirred alot of memories. You must have felt so honored to be able to be a vehicle of restoring something as precious as speech to someone as close as a sister. I have two sisters (my only siblings), both younger and they are and always have been my best friends, losing either would be so, so hard.

Distinguished Community Member

Hummer - I practice Hands on Faith Healing as well as reflexolagy and it works. I am certified with a three year degree in Metaphysical arts and healing and people swear by the relief I am able to give. Make no misteak, the work is done by God, Spirit, whatever your belief is - I am the insturment and i thank spirit every day. A 10 Mg. Valium will NOt calm somebody in chronic pain, i speak from experiance, they need to try something else, I could recommend some things but I am not a doc so I won't. I wish you luck and and as little pain as is possible.
    Happy holidays
    Blessings
    Alex44
    Last edited by alex44; 12-19-2011 at 01:25 PM.

AnnieK, it is time to really push your doctor to do more for your spasms and to give you something stronger for the MRI. I know when I was in terrible pain and spasms before my lumbar fusion my wife would rub my feet and give me great relief for a time. Good luck with finding what works for you.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Another...remembering....

My niece was team roping...and caught her finger in the dally...and cut her finger off at the top knuckle....she was in a lot of nerve throbbing pain....I worked on her feet....working the toe that would represent the same injured finger....

I worked it very deep....it can be quite painful...if you let them work deeply...I sing...I relax and sing a note....I told my niece to just scream...which she did....most reflexologists do not work that deeply...but...if you can stand it...it has extremely powerful results...my niece said that after I worked on her...that she wouldn't have any pain for about 3 days...then she would come back...when it began to throb...and after some treatments...the nerve pain...did not return....

I hope you can find something that will help you.....

Blessings on us all....

Community Member

I get massage for mostly upper back spasms, it works very well but ii hurts some when you first start and you need to stick with it. Also a steroid injection may help stop the inflammation causing the spasms enough for you to get your MRI.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years
    4-12-09 Trip to Laser Spine in Florida. Nerve pain 90% gone.
    Off opiate, using Marijuana tincture, working well.

Massage,Reiki,Faith healing, these are all very good weopons in our arsenal against pain. Meditations works to calm my mind and a bit of the pain as I can go to "My Space". no matter your belief system, I put all of the above in the metaphysical, therefore not religion, faith in yourself, and if you can find yourself open to reflexolagy,faith healing, mesitation, and massage, it can help you. Hoping everyone had a good holiday and is doing well
    Blessings
    Alex44

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast