Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 194464848990919293949596 LastLast

Thread: Party room- a place for fun, pity, commiserating, or any other thing you come up with

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Hi Mark and Sandi. Is there someone here named "the Trol? Maybe I spelled that wrong. Well, I spent seven days in the hospital with Pneumonia in both lungs. You would think someone as old as me would know how to take care of themselves.

Getting back up out of that hole is not so quick this time. I'm still trying to get some strength so I can at least try out my new power chair that came in about a week before I went to hospital. I haven't give up, just coasting along. I don't know what we will do about the holidays. We have many grandkids and at least 5 great-grand's makes me tired to even think about the. I do love them but don't think I can handle the holidays. We shall see.

I hope you and Penny will have good times for the holidays. Get some sleep Mark, that is most important. Sandi, I wish for you and your family happy holidays. I know it will be hard, but you will be in my prayers.

Take care all, you too Trol foderoll, where ever you are. I love you all, Julia

Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Distinguished Community Member

Ju;ia, good to see someone is checking in. Sorry to hear you haven't learned how to stay out of the hospital. I have an idea for you for holiday, sit back and let everyone take care of you and keep you entertained. One of the oldtimers from this site HellBent Troll has been stopping by so I hope he sees this post. Sandi if you are coming around I hope you have a good holiday.

Penny and I are trying to get things fixed up for Thanksgiving but until the in-laws decide what they are doing we aren't sure when we will do our dinner. Penny got a 'new' car a two weeks ago after shopping the internet for two years. Our Cadillac was still in great shape but it wasn't a car to be driving two blocks or eight blocks at the most. It was a great car to have on the road but we don't do that much any more so I finally got her to get a more realistic car for what she drives now. It is a 2012 Ford Focus and she loves it. I hate having a car payment again after not having one for ten years now but we will pay it off long before she retires. The trip to Louisville to get the car and then a trip to my mom's to see IU football game really hit me hard but it was a fun trip both times. At the car place I met two Marines that worked there and we talked a bit while Penny negotiated for car. The the football game at IU v Michigan was a great game [2 overtimes] but IU came up short. It was the first game I had gone to at IU that the crowd really got into it. Tyrel is now working at UPS and doing well so I think he is on the right medication and dose. Maybe this next Fall he will start going to college again while working part-time. As much as we love him it is time in the next 6 months for him to move out and let us get back to a empty nest again.

Take care, everyone and have a good holiday.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Yes, happy holidays to all of you whether I know you or not.

I took my power chair for a test drive yesterday. Don't think I injured anyone. I need to practice more before I get too frisky with that thing!! Hope all are well and looking forward to a great Thanksgiving.

My love to you all, Julia
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle

for my brother Ben

4. The following user says "thanks"

Julia, good to see you have stayed out of the hospital so far. Just put a horn on that chair so people know to get out of your way as you come by.lol
    Have a great holiday with all those young ones and let them come to [great]grandma instead of you doing things for others. We are doing our Thanksgiving Saturday and we should have our Christmas tree up so the granddaughters will be excited that day.

Sandi, I hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    1979 spinal issues, 1993 lumbar microdisectomy L3-4, 1996 360 3 level lumbar fusion L2-5, 1999 open thoractomy fusion T8-9,
    2002 C3-7 herniations and T4-7 herniations, 2004 total disability, a new limited life

Default holidays

We were on our way to a very good Christmas despite the limit of spending money because my mom came down to see all of us but especially to see the great granddaughters. On Christmas Eve I was not doing well so my wife and mom went over to see the girls and for my mom to see the changes my daughter and SIL have made to their house. Everything went well until they were walking to the car to come home. My mom broke her hip and was lucky a couple of guys could help her into the car. My wife and mom came to our house and called me out to the car to see what I thought. It was clear to me that they needed to go to the hospital so I got my keys and led them out to the hospital [my wife is awful about directions and knowing where to go]. To shorten the story we spent Christmas Eve in the hospital while my mom was in pain and getting images of her hip to see what really was going on. Once they saw the break then the decision was where to go since our hospital didn't have an orthopaedic doctor. Fortunately mom's home hospital could take her in so after leaving us she had a three hour ambulance trip. She had to wait until the day after Christmas to have her surgery and she came out in good shape. She is slow in getting able to get out of bed and using a walker but she is in a place the hospital transfers patient needing recuperating. I and my son, daughter and her family went up the following weekend to visit and I was disappointed with the lack of progress my mom was making. I know she will need time to recuperate since she is 78 years old but after two weeks out of surgery I was hoping she would be able to move in her bed but she seems to be content to just stay in the same place. I am thankful her mind wasn't too effected since she has Parkinson's and often they don't do well going under for a surgery.

Back to Christmas Day, the granddaughters and family came over to our house and thankfully we did present before dinner as I was wiped out from cooking and being under the weather. The girls were very excited this year and enjoy their presents. My mom had brought down presents for everyone so we opened them too. I really appreciated the picture she gave me of my grandparents that I had commented I would like to have in several years. I got to explain to my kids what each had done which was amazing considered they were two poor farm kids growing up. The family had a really good time and where here for four or five hours unfortunately right at the end of dinner I couldn't go any longer. I went downstairs to my chair and fell asleep with sounds of laughter from upstairs.

I hope all had a good Christmas and New Years. Post if you can about your family gathering and I hope no one else had a medical emergency to deal with.

7. The following user says "thanks"

Jo6

Oh Mark, how awful for your Mom!! 3 hr. Ambulance trip? I really feel for her on that account! the hr. long trips I had had was bad, but I cannot imagine 3 hrs of that. I hope she is doing better now. It is sad it happened during the holidays, but it is sad it happened at all. I will add her to my prayers list.

I'm sorry you are having some rough times. You did the right thing to go take a rest when you got so tired. You aren't nearly as old as I am, but when you suffer from chronic pain it is just hard do like we used to. I had a good day Christmas, but was so worn out by the time everyone went home I went to sleep in my chair, had a cup of coffee in my hand , drop the thing, spilt coffee all over me and the floor, woke Ken up, he was asleep in his chair and he jumped straight up!! I couldn't help but laugh, but that coffee was HOT!!

I enjoy hearing you talk about the granddaughters. they are such fun, eh? We had grown up grand's, but 1 great grand daughter and she is something else!! She loves her Papa and granny too. Smart as a whip, of course you know about that!! She is just 2, but there isn't much she can't do.

Sandi, TRoll and everyone else that drop by I hope you had a grand holiday. Mark, you take care and make Mom take care of herself also. I hope Penny is doing well.

I've been up longer than I should have been. Give out, but it was good to read how your holidays went. Hope to hear from you soon, Julia

for my brother Ben

Hi, not sure what this is all about. I have MS but also suffer with Stenosis. It is was it is, eh? Anyways i just wanted to say Hello to evetyone.

Peace
    The early bird catches the worms~~~~~that means, I wake up early and have worms. lol

That's my son's words of wisdom to me! ! lol

Charlotte, this thread is a place where people can come to and complain about their medical problems or talk about our lives. We give and get much support when we need it the most.

Jo, IU had to chuckle about you falling asleep in your chair and dropping your cup. There have been many times I have woken up finding my drink on my lap as I had fallen asleep while drinking my beverage [water or Coke]. I set my drink down on a table next to my chair if I feel drowsy yet there are times I drop off to sleep in an instant. Yes you are right that we can't do as much as we did in the past because CP takes so much out of us. It is good you were able to make it through out the family's visit and only conked out after they left. My kids lived with me long enough to know and understand what it means when I need to go to my chair.

Not much change in my mom. I talk to her a couple times each week and I will have to be patient with her recovery.

Hi Mark,
    Glad you had a good holiday, mine was as well. Didn't do too much but had a great family visit. My Mom (88) and I last about the same amount of time so now that she's with me its not always me that gets tired first! I am using marijuana successfully although I still get those days where not much works. I drink it (tincture)and it takes about an hour to take effect but lasts for around 3 to 4 hours. Feel better than with opiates. Hope your Mom recovers quickly.
    If no pain, no gain is true, where is everything I should have gained?
    DDD, Fibro, CFS, pain for 20 years. ADR c 5/6 Feb. 2018 doing well.
    Back to pain management, fibromyalgia getting worse.

Lil E, it is great to hear that MJ is working well for you. I will go up to my mom's the middle of Feb and stay for ten days to care for her. I hope she has shown major improvement by then. The care facility won't release her until she shows she can care for herself at home. She will still need help with every thing but personal care. I certainly hope getting home picks her spirit up although she isn't too bad in that respect.

Would life be great for us if the saying "no pain no gain" were true. We would have gained tremendous things with all the pain we have dealt with in our lives.

Page 94 of 96 FirstFirst ... 194464848990919293949596 LastLast