Thread: I Cried when I read this. At Last! Generics versus brand-name prescriptions

Distinguished Community Member

Default I Cried when I read this. At Last! Generics versus brand-name prescriptions

Please Read.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/754755

For those who can't read the post, it's titled:

FDA to Tighten Standards for Generic Antiepileptic Drugs
    Medscape Medical News, December 5, 2011

Linnie
    Last edited by linniec; 12-07-2011 at 02:33 AM.

Community Member

Found a better link for those like me who don't have an account..

http://epilepsyu.com/blog/fda-to-tig...ugs/#more-2045

Thanks for the info. folks I appreciate it. Travis, thanks for giving the other webpage to check out I looked into it and I see that Rochester University is doing a study on this and this is where I go so I plan to get ahold of my Epi and
    get more info. I've found that I can take some generic AED's but then there are some brand names that I have to take like Diamox. One think that concerns me also is if the post offices run only 5 days a week and overnight mail will take
    2 days this might be a problem for those who get their AED's in the mail. Here's wishing all of you only the best and May God Bless You!

Sue

So much suffering because patients did not come first - profits did. It is not just the antiseizure medications! This happens with hormones, and more! We have to pay $100 per name-brand prescription vs the $10 for generic, but the generic doesn't work!!! What do they think - we buy name-brand because we are rich snobs or something!??

Hi Folks,

I looked into the matter as to why the want to cut back on generic AED's and I found out that at the Rochester University where I go Drs. are doing a medical study to find out if the brand name works better than the generic AED so they would rather
    put us in danger instead of doing a simple DNA test on us to find out if the generic would work just as good as the brand name. I plan on speaking with Epilepsy Foundation as well and the head administrator at Rochester and get more details I personnally
    don't think they are being to smart putting us in danger when all it really comes down to is money and politics. Here's wishing You Well and May God Bless You!

Sue

I'm getting somewhere.

Go to
    http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/script...ocs/tempai.cfm

Once there, scroll down to the words "Search by Active Ingredient ." Click there and type in the generic name.

What you will see is all the companies, including the brand name company that make an FDA approved drug with that generic ingredient. The various strengths are named.
    Last edited by linniec; 01-26-2012 at 05:02 AM.