Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: The Decorations - what Happened to MERRY CHRISTMAS?

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Thank you Mike for your spiffy contribution to this thread....and you too Trim tab. An interesting addition to be sure.

Merry Christmas to All and Happy Holidays to the rest of you heathens..LOL!! Peace on Earth and Good will to All and you too Gene..:o
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by SalpalSally View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Merry Christmas to All and Happy Holidays to the rest of you heathens
    LOL

Thank You Sally...now I have that warm holiday feeling that I've heard so much about !
    *another random thought *

Quote Originally Posted by RandomThought View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LOL

Thank You Sally...now I have that warm holiday feeling that I've heard so much about !
    LOL back atcha!
    Love, Sally

Mike Weins, I don't think the U.S. government has websites that are forums or blogs . . . NINDS for example, does not have Terms of Service and I can't find a way to post a message there, I think it would be like writing on a police car were it somehow an issue of free speech to expect to be able to do so. You posted "If a website is run by the US government then they are forbidden by the 1st amendment to restrict your free speech" . . . but I would suggest "the US government [is] forbidden by the 1st amendement to . . ." is sufficient, it doesn't matter whether its a website or a billboard or some federal employee twisting your arm. You seem to be expressing a publisher's right to editorial powers as a 1st amendment issue but I don't think it is a 1st amendment issue, a publisher has the right to be selective in what it will or will not publish is what I am trying to express to you . . . publishers do not have the right to twist your arm either. As near as I can tell, the genesis of BTC was such that there was a desire to allow members to exercise their free speech rights here as much as is possible . . . but a significant amount of material, even now probably, would tend to be posted that was not really free speech and was abusive of the opportunity the website presented, which is why moderators were brought into 'the picture' . . . not surprisingly . . . editors are a kind of moderation and every major publisher has them. There is no chance at all the first amendment will be changed. Although I think you may have left out some words you intended to express, I am alarmed that a literal interpretation of your expression . . . 'as we see fit' . . . would mean a moderator could put Geneo76's credit card information in agates post and there would be nothing either could do about it, i.e. hints of the idea that rules don't apply to moderators . . . I of course doubt moderators would ever do such a thing but you seem to be saying that would be ok by the rules . . . I know full well moderators can be able to do that . . . but I do think it would be wrong if they did. Yet this thread isn't so much about the free speech element of the first amendment, its about the freedom of religion element . . . NINDS cannot lawfully place a "Merry Christmas" greeting on their website but non-profits can legally do so (as far as I know).

I visited MGH and discovered their holiday posters include:

Chanukah 12/20-12/28
    Diwali 11/13
    Kwanzaa 12/26
    Chinese New Year 1/23 (year of the Dragon)
    Nativity 12/25
    Eid Mubarak 7/20/12
    Winter Solstice 12/21 (Cat Dancer: apparently for most of the U.S. its 12/21 the actual moment is the last hour of the 21 day - first hour of the 22 day East Coast(-5): 5:30am UTC)
    Christmas 12/25
    Epiphony 1/6/12
    Native America Celebration - the gifts of creation Jan-Oct 2012

Ten! I knew there was a lot of them.
    Last edited by TrimTab; 12-15-2011 at 07:18 AM.

Distinguished Community Member

Looks to me like "Merry Christmas" and "Happy Holidays" would cover the list of ten.

Gabriella
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Wayyyyyy TMI!!:o
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member Frog42's Avatar

What it all boils down to, though, is that Mike Weins runs this board and he has the right to put anything on here anywhere or leave it off if he darn well wants! :)

Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

--And he's given an explanation in addition to saying he'll post no more in this thread. Maybe it's time to let this thread to drop down onto another page.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

This thread has turned into a battle, and is now closed.
    It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people whose posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts.

Moderator #5

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567