Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Decorations - what Happened to MERRY CHRISTMAS?

Distinguished Community Member renee's Avatar

Sally- I think Chanukah is on the 25th as is my next door neighbors birthday.
    Can't forget his birthday. :>)

Distinguished Community Member SalpalSally's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by renee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sally- I think Chanukah is on the 25th as is my next door neighbors birthday.
    Can't forget his birthday. :>)
    It xeems to be several days of celebration..:o

Hanukkah, Chanukah or the Festival of Lights is a Jewish holiday celebrated for eight days around late November to late December. The name is derived from a Hebrew word which means "to dedicate", and during Hanukkah, the Jewish people commemorates the re-dedication of the Temple in Jerusalem and the "Miracle of The Oil".
    Love, Sally

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hanukkah, Chanukah or the Festival of Lights is a Jewish holiday celebrated for eight days around late November to late December.
    --It starts at sundown on December 20 this year.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Distinguished Community Member

It's not a matter of "political correctness". It's a matter of respect. Respect for those of us who are not Christian, but who may...or may not...celebrate the other holidays that occur during December. Respect which was not afforded to people when religious and other discrimination was rampant, in the "good old days".
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not a matter of "political correctness". It's a matter of respect. Respect for those of us who are not Christian, but who may...or may not...celebrate the other holidays that occur during December. Respect which was not afforded to people when religious and other discrimination was rampant, in the "good old days".
    I agree Cat, it is a matter of respect and if someone wants to say Happy Witches Day, I will wish them a HWD, so why can't you show me the same respect by letting me print Merry Christmas?:o
    Love, Sally

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

One day soon

Abby
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sally, I can't see how you're being prevented from posting Merry Christmas in any of your posts. People are free to read them or skip them.

The issue here is the greeting people see when they visit any of the BrainTalk boards--people who might be new, people who might be anywhere in the world. The decision was made by the administrators if you read Mike Weins's recent post in the Forum Feedback thread I gave a link to in an earlier post--post #5, above.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

When individuals write to you -- individuals who share your beliefs -- they are free to wish you a Merry Christmas. And you are free to wish anyone you wish a Merry Christmas. Individual choice. But for a public board, who is here to greet everyone, not just you, "Happy Holidays" is the appropriate greeting. If you don't like it, you can switch to the non-holiday skin, and just start each of your posts with "Merry Christmas".

And by the way, it's not Happy Witches Day, but Good Solstice (which is on December 21). And not everyone who celebrates Solstice is a witch.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Thanks Agate and Thanks Cat. I do understand..
    Love, Sally

Having been raised in the bible belt with December 25th being celebrated as Jesus birth for the Christian population, I didn't see "disrespect" of the other religions represented in our town. We had a lot of Jewish people who celebrated their heritage also. Not very many African Americans in our town but some.

The town was mostly Christian of one demonination or another and included both black and white segregated congregations as well as schools. I grew up seeing discrimination practiced and abhored it but it stemed from ignorance and not religious practices. Instead of calling it "political correctness" I guess "religious differences" might be a better discription.

On a board such as this to be honest it is simplier to just include the multitude of celebrations under the banner of "Happy Holidays" but that doesn't preclude each of us celebrating our particular beliefs by posting what we believe. It doesn't have to turn into a tutorial on what is correct or not correct as we are all different and have the right and the choice to believe what we want to believe.

No one should be offended by our diversity of beliefs. I will be celebrating Christ birthday on December 25th as I did in the "good old days" as a child. We always got fruit and nuts and 3 gifts from Santa. I always love to watch "It's a Wonderful Life" during the season as it truly demonstrates what is meant by Christmas which is "Love thy neighbor".

We could make a seperate thread and tell others how we will celebrate our special holiday this December. Cat, I thought Solstice is a twice a year astronomical event which just happens to fall on December 25th (according to wikipedia). Is this the holiday you will celebrate and if so it would be interesting to know how you will be celebrating.

Merry Christmas,
    Gabriella
    Last edited by Gabriella7; 12-10-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Progressive/Relapsing MS, Myasthenia Gravis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Diabetes, Hypertension, Hashimoto's Thyroiditis
    Advocate for ADA, Artist's Community for Change, ADAPT, Universal Living in Place, HopeKeepers, Complementary and Alternative Medicine

"Life is mostly froth and bubble, two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own"........Adam Lindsay Gordon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast