Thread: Botox for headache and pain?

Default Botox for headache and pain?

Hi All,

Because a leak can not be located I decided to visit Physical medicine to try and manage things. I am not sure if he thinks a leak is possible or not, but he thought maybe Botox injections might help. So I had injections in my forehead, temples, base of skull and neck. Has anyone tried Botox for headache and pain? He said it would take 3 days to notice if it is helping (2 weeks for max results.) The injections are done 3 months apart.

Thia

Community Member

Hi
    I also have had botox just above my eyebrows three each side. the relief for my eyes was incredible!! Lasted about 4/5 months. The main headaches, from top of forehead round skull and neck was the same, but I had complete relief for the pain behind my eyes, and the eye that had dropped picked up again. Once it wore off, my vision, droopy eye and pressure behind the eyes came back again as per before. But it was heaven for those few months, just to have a part of my head that didnt hurt. I cannot afford to have this done again unfortunately but the Dr in Harley Street, London, does actually operate to give permenant results (way out of my price range unfortunately) So in my opinion botox is an incredible pain relief in the short term, however Im not sure about long term benefits vs negatives. Hope it works for you.

Thanks Hemi

I am hopeful this will help me. Today I feel a bit more woozy, balance is more off and my nose seems to be a little more runny. Don't know if that is the result of the injection or just that I've been working harder than usual. I will see how I feel on day 3. I am lucky these injections are included with my co-pay in my HMO insurance.

What surgery does the Dr. in Harley Street do?

Community Member

The doc in Harley Street permenantly removes/cortarizes (cant spell it) the nerves that are temporarily numbed by the botox. He didnt mention any others such as the back of the head, he deals with the forehead only. For me, the botox took effect on day 7 so if you dont have any effects for a few days dont worry. I will be very interested in knowing how it works on the other parts of the head. I would do ANYTHING to get rid of this headache, so would be really interested in any info or documents you may know of that have been published regarding this. Tomorrow I am seeing my GP and am going to beg him to write me a letter and get me taken in to the local hospital (where they do ct myelograms) via the A and E department. If only for a rest. I cannot deal with this pain much more. On top of it all I have had a really heavy cold and chest infection and as we all know, coughing is agony with these low pressure headaches. Thankfully the fever broke and Im just left with the cold and slight cough.
    I am glad you are getting your injections through the insurance, Please ask about long term use of this (lets be honest) non natural product being injected over a period of time. We have all seen the likes of the rich and famous and their faces after regular botox!!!

It is now 3+ days post injections of Botox. My balance does seem a bit more off. I feel a little euphoric. The tension in my neck is less. Head pain has eased. I hope more improvement will happen over the next week or so.

Sarah

I too wonder about the long term effects of using anything for pain. If I think it is making a big difference in how I feel, I will discuss this concern with my doctor. I also wonder if over time, once the body has relaxed a few months with Botox, will it be necessary anymore.

Thia