Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT Turkey Week Chit Chat

Distinguished Community Member Pegakafarmgirl's Avatar

Default OT Turkey Week Chit Chat

Hi everyone,, whats that saying "are we ready for some Turkey?',, we have thanksgiving yesterday, so Thursday we opted for chicken/noodles,, sounds good to me,,

been busy aound here,, Joe bagged a big 10 point buck,_bow season, we been keeping a eye out for,, he is gorgeous, wrapped deer meat, , and now we have shotgun season, in a couple weeks,,

I did manage to screw up my back.. shifted the spine, so been to the chiropractor,.other then that, I feel okay, weather is to up and down, body is trying to adjust to it,,so really, its a standstill, right now, cause its 14 degress out, and then its going to be in the 50's,, weird

later then
    " Don't outsmart your common sense"

Peg

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Cherie for the update on Sally I wondered if that wasnt the case. I had not received an email from her in a couple of days. I get some of the FUNNIEST emails from Sally it really makes my day.

SALLY YOU GIT YER SELF BACK HERE PRONTO!!!

I am doing pretty good for being 110 years old. Actually I really cant complain blood pressure is down and blood sugar is down as well. I know that the wheel will come flying off the cart again so I just enjoy feeling human for a change.

I had a follow up appointment last week and had a long talk with my PCP and his P.A. about having to do the IVSM as often as I have over the past year and a half. They both said the same thing. As with most medicines you have to weigh the good with the bad and EVERYTHING you put in your body has effects . Good and BAD. So you need to balance them. They are most worried about the fact that in my case the MS drives up my blood pressure and there really is not a good answer to my health problems. But unless I want to end up stroking out and spend the rest of my life laying ind bed drooling on my self I will do what ever I need to in order to get my blood pressure under control.

The weather has been co operating cold but the humidity has stayed down. We are supposed to have a bad winter weather wise so wait and see. Actually it doesnt make much difference there isn't much you can do to change it anyways.

I am still keeping up with playing the organ it does not sound any better but I enjoy it. I have figured out how to rig up some headphones so I wont have to listen to the dogs howling!! We are going to mother in laws for a couple of days during Thanksgiving it drives me nuts that her other 2 kids cannot be bothered to do anything for her. My wife goes down there (to Boise) and I am going as my wife says everything is falling apart. And she wants to decorate for Christmas this year so my daughter and son in law are coming to help as my daughter says "dad the thought of you swinging on a ladder gives me nightmares".

Be healthy everybody.

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hope everybody will have a great Thanksgiving, and that means Sally gets sprung from that hospital by then too, let's hope.

I hope I can be excused for crowing about this but it's nice to know when efforts are paying off. I just got the results of the fasting lab tests I have to have done regularly, and this time I won't have to go back for 6 months.

In the last 2 years I've lost 17 lbs. and now weigh 112. I wasn't overweight but wanted to be lighter than I was. I take a total of 20 mg of Lipitor per week. I'm Type 2 diabetic but don't take any meds for it.

HGA1C 5.9 (desirable is less than 7)
    (that measures blood glucose control over the last 3 months)

cholesterol 172 (desirable <200)
    triglycerides 66 (desirable <150)
    HDL 72.2 (desirable >50 for women)
    LDL 87 (desirable <70 or <100 depending on your risk of heart disease)

Vitamin D was 57. They were aiming for 60-80. I had increased my vitamin D3 intake to 3,000 IU/day a few months ago.

I feel very lucky.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Hi Peg. Brrrr that is cold. I'm cold here and it is just the 40's. I hope your back improves. Any more improvement after the stem cell treatment?

Gary, you are between a rock and a hard place w the IVSM. I'm with you on the err on the side of not having a stroke.

Agate, you tiny thing! Those are very good looking numbers! Cheers to you!

Our semi- vegetarian Thanksgiving is the same: salmon, small boiled yukons, green beans, salad, bread, a ham steak for our guest (w ketchup), dressing and gravy. Guest is Peter's Mom and she is bringing mashed squash, a lemon meringue pie and chocolate chip cookies. She offered to cook us a chicken. We declined. All of this is for 3 people.

Chocolate to anyone who needs any extra calories this week,
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 11-22-2011 at 08:47 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

Community Member

Happy Thanksgiving everyone...hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Lorraine:)

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

I really did not have time yesterday to do much more than update folks on Sally. No chance to read or reply to other things.

Becky, Greg and the kids came down from Cambridge just after noon with homemade applesauce and cranberry relish as well as a pumpkin pie and some heavy whipping cream. Heather and the boys got there 5 minutes earlier with roasted root vegetables, smashed cauliflower, a custard pie, a coconut custard pie and a citrus cheesecake that she and the boys made yesterday.

Wednesday I made an apple and a walnut pie and two batches of bread (did one 5x9 loaf and 9 little loaves). Each grandkid got to take a small loaf of their favorite bread home along with their pick of several different types of goard. Also cooked the squash and made up the green bean casserole and mixed up the stuffing.

Yesterday morning I stuffed the turkey and had it in the over early, peeled , cooked and mashed the potatoes. Made the gravy and carved the bird just before 1PM and had a delightful time. Heather commented that this is the first year she can ever remember in her 35 years on earth that it has just been us for Thanksgiving and not extras that did not have family with whom to spend the holiday. People were invited but health reasons or other plans prevented them from coming. It really was a special day.

Just after Dark, Becky and Greg loaded up David's van with some stuff they were storing at our house then David followed Greg (driving his van) in our other car to a home they own but which is rented to get some more things out of storage. Greg then drove back to Cambridge for the night and was off to VT this morning. Becky and her two stayed at our house and will head back to Cambridge Sunday while we are in NH as of a couple hours ago and will head back home Sunday. Beky wanted to be near her sister and nephews while husband is away and our house is quiet and clean while chaos often reigns at Heather's. So she's using it as a base for naps and early bed and quiet to study for a paper that is due in two weeks.

David has scheduled a work day at the condo for tomorrow to level some brick walkways before full winter sets in. They got a foot of snow here Wednesday but it's been warm enough yesterday and today to take that down by half and all the walkways that need work are clear.

Thanks Peg, for starting a Thanksgiving thread. Hope the back gets better soon. Would also like to see you feeling really good from the stem
    cell. But I have to remind myself that the MS is still there regardless of what we do.

Lorraine, glad to see you checking in. Hope your Holiday was a nice one.

Ann, I keep forgeting that you do not eat much meat. Wish I had your discipline and also Agate's. I try not to be too bad, but I eat pretty
    much every thing and try hard to do it in moderation.

Cherie, speaking of food next Thanksgiving I am coming to your house. All your food sounds like what I like. Besides it is only a hop, skip
    and jump from North Carolina to New England.;)

Gary, glad your daughter puts her foot down, otherwise you might just be redoing all of your Mother-in-laws house. Sounds like you are
    at least feeling a little better.

Agate, those really are good numbers. I don't know why they never seem to bother to check mine.

I went about 50 miles yesterday to my cousins and took her out to eat. She is alone and her Mother (my aunt) died a little over a year ago.
    I always had dinner with my Aunt, who was a gourmet cook until shortly before her death, a month before her 98th birthday. So now I try
    to visit with her daughter when I can. She lived with her Mother and I do not like for her to be alone during the Holiday season.

By the way, last week I had part of the house painted. Having the painters in and moving things and then trying to clean kind of wore me out
    but I am glad to get it done. I had living room, dining room, foyer, up the stairwell, and down a hall that is down stairs painted. Next will probably be the upstairs bedroom and bath, but that will have to wait for a while. I have 18 feet vaulted ceilings in dining and living room.
    So anyway the painters come in, take a look at the ceilings and think they can charge more. But they did work hard and I feel did a good
    job so I am happy with that.

Sally, we are all still praying and thinking of you daily. So, are you really giving all the men trouble where you are? I think it was Gary that
    pointed that out in another post. Just kidding! Get back to us soon.

Virginia
    Virginia

Default Thanksgiving and What I'm thankful for

Now that Thanksgiving is over and the weekend is upon us, I can reflect on my Thanksgiving and what I am thankful for.

I had Thanksgiving with the Ambassador and his wife along with 35 Peace Corps trainees and friends and co-workers. It sounds more glamorous than it really was. I ended up spending more time with the kitchen help than with Mr and Mrs Ambassador which was how I liked it. They cooked a feast and I helped and since feeding people is what gives me joy, I had a great time.

What am I thankful for? I am still able to work in a job that I love, albeit with much less energy and much more forgetting. Except for this darn MS my health is pretty good. I have enough money to get by and save a little for when I can't work (which I think is coming soon). I have loving friends and family--very important.

What are you thankful for?
    MaryLiz

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

We are back home and I am tired. My wife told me on the way home that my MIL asked her last night why was Gary doing all of this work and she said that he has a problem with (her other daughter) doing a half a** job and CHARGING her to do it and besides Gary cant sit still unless he is having a flare. Another reason was after having spent my life in the trades I really hate anyone taking advantage of anyone let alone a elderly widow. A plumber had her scheduled to replace both of her toilets as they were too old to get parts for and they were running constantly. I went to the local home repair center bought the parts and repaired both of them total time 15 minutes total cost for parts $7.96 .

I still have my journeyman electrician and plumbing license. I have always had more work than I wanted and I have always made a good living and I have never knowingly over charged anyone or charged them for work they didn't need. There isn't any reason too there is plenty of work out there any if someone does a good job there only problem will be is turning down the work. Since MS I just cant do it any more and I still get calls.

Weather is cold but the sun is shining and no snow is predicted for the next few days. I am doing pretty good the insurance changed its mind about a blood pressure med that I take and it is pretty expensive so I need to make an appointment Monday to see if the doc will change it. I appealed to the ins company6 and they will not budge. Grrrrr.

Be healthy everybody.

Distinguished Community Member Cherie's Avatar

David organized a "Homeowner's Workday" for today at our condo in NH. We were told two weeks ago at our annual homeowner's meeting that there was an urgent need to excavate all of the stairs leading into our building(...5 sets) because they were built over a "stump dump" and were sinking and needed to be "brought up to code" by putting in pre-poured steps and leveling walks and adding railings.

Now , if they did that, and I needed my scooter or powerchair to get into my home here, I would not be able to access it. The Gradual grassy slope leading to my front door would be torn away and replaced with a dozen railed stairs and an even steeper grade to my home. Today, 5 homeowners and their families got together for a little over 4 hours and lifted every brick, refilled and tamped down the san base and replaced the bricks and may well have saved us (as homeowners) $67,000 next Spring to completely replace the stairs.

While the guys were doing that, I was trimming the ornamental trees and shrubs and the dead wood and lower branches on the white pines in our complex (another $5000 in maintenance cost taken care of in a little over two hours).

Good day. Good outcome. Hopefully money saved and Board convinced not to throw good money at the projects.

You set an excellent example Gary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast