Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 1234567813335378103 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Happenin'

Hi Joy , those purple flowers you asked about is called a 'columbine'. Last year I had no blooms on it. This year it exploded with blooms. I didn't catch a picture of it in full bloom. I had to move it to my back garden as it was killing off my lavendar rose bush. I think it will do just as well where I moved it. And I saved my rose bush. Both are doing good now.

I hope you are feeling better.

Dee

Distinguished Community Member

My callia lily is blooming a lot. Every year it seems to get more blooms. When I had put a order into a plant place my order ended up back ordered so they sent me a hibusca (sp) plant which I know nothing about. It has lots of blooms on it. Does anyone know if I'm supposed to bring this in in the fall????
    Take care,
    Dawn

Hi Dawn, From what I'm reading your hibiscus plant is a tropical plant and can be damaged in the winter. Best to winterize it. I found this link that may help.

http://www.gardenguides.com/TipsandT...ues/winter.htm

Dee

Distinguished Community Member houghchrst's Avatar
    Blog Entries

it depends on the type of Hibiscus and some are hardy in our zone. I had beautiful hibiscus for years before I moved here. Never dug them up.

Community Member

Hey, all. How're you doing? I feel bad I haven't dropped in much except to complain.

Got an MRI done Saturday, had to be knocked out and have DH in there holding my hand, but the NICE hospital was awesome. I know the university hospital is "better" (top rated, blah blah) but the community hospital has such awesome nice people, I was much happier going there. University MRI people didn't even let DH in the waiting room. *head shake*

Dee, BEAUTIFUL flowers!!! So pretty! Hibiscus can be sensitive, I know. Hmmm.... I'd bring it in to be safe, but that's me.
    Dx: Epilepsy; depression; chronic GERD and peptic ulcer disease; pelvis and spine damage from accident.

Leo, at least that is over with. Great to hear that the people were nice.

I will bring the hibiscus in for the winter. I think I'm supposed to treat it like my other bulbs. Throw in a bag and forget about it until spring?

The weather is cooling off. I hope it stays like this because I have to go to the fair with the DH and girls in a week. Minnesota has the largest state fair. Yay, crowds, just what I don't need to deal with. It will be DH's birthday the day we go so no getting out of it this year.
    Take care,
    Dawn

having fun getting used to the new site NOT!

Dee,flowers are sure pretty-thanks for sharing. good for you feeling better! who cares what it takes eh?

Dawn,don't envy you going to a fair. that kind of thing is history for me. a friend of mine said the deep fried Twinkies are good.

we are in the 80's today,so too hot for me to be outside. I've been busy putting cheap price stickers on all the stuff in my shop. the package has over 500 stickers & I will use them all. lots of stuff eh?

nothing new here. getting fed up with my housemate more & more.

just found out someone I've known since childhood has died from cancer. she suffered too long.

couldn't bear to watch the Seahawk's loss last night. bummer!

I got a purple mum the other day. and a bouget of purple glads. enjoying the summer weather finally. and have 2 new Stephanie Plum books to read.

((((hugs to all)))) Pati

Wow Pati, you sure have a lot of stuff to sell. I wish I lived near you so I could browse through your shop.

O.k where oh where did everyone disappear to this time?

I suppose it's like me where I don't have much to talk about.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

we have had several beautiful days here in michigan. the temps are in the upper 70's and 82 today with hardly any humidity.

i am out with the dogs and i am digging a trench to plant my boxwood hedge divider. unfortunately, RIGHT WHERE i want to plant them is a shallow 5-inch thick tree root. i started trying to chop through it yesterday, but my axe is too dull. so today when my son comes home from work, we'll got to home depot and get a nice, sharp new axe and i'll see if i can have the old one sharpened. once that root is gone, it'll be a breeze! HA!

i am also reading my booklets for my pharmacy technician recertification when i have a few hours to spare. each booklet takes about 2 hours to read and answer the questions to. i have 5 more booklets to finish before the end of october. no problem.

they had an article in the paper about a bank paying homeowner's in my area up to $10,000 a piece to improve the exteriors of their homes. you pay to have the work done and then apply to the bank and they reimburse you for half of it. it's some kind of program the bank has agreed to do to avoid fines from the government for denying mortgages to people in 4 cities in wayne county. detroit is included in that.

so much work, so little time until winter breezes blow. i will be writing less for awhile, but i'll still be around.

then of course, the winter blues set in.

and who said gardening was for sissies?

thank you for sharing and caring,
    jeannie
    Last edited by tic chick; 08-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

aw well jwannie [ardon my replies of your being absent. i agree yard work is vey rewarding for hos who can still do it. sor grapes in my paet as i cant ,o,. i rather work in garage even when i coud work anything before a house being iside. now i qam outside not at all unless we are at lake or eodeo. voh we did not do much of at all this summer. we have so manyof the time life books with beautiful pics of yard grden an i sill love to just look and dxream tho. same with cookbooks and th is not fattening at all, lol/

Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 1234567813335378103 ... LastLast