Thread: House cleaning

Distinguished Community Member Abby2006's Avatar

Default House cleaning

I can't even pretend I am doing it anymore -I used to be able to just give it a' lick and a promise; (as they say)

Problem is I used to be a good house cleaner and I see to much that needs to be done.

Don't have alot of money to spend for ouitside help and ny $70.00 (3 hour min/) does seem to be motivated to even want to help.

Abby

Just venting!
    Stand for something or you will fall for anything

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Abby:)

House work:( I like it to be done but it takes so much effort and the best part of my day. I pay an independent (not a chain) service to come for 2 hours every other week. 2 young woman- the same one's each time. It's good enough. $65 each visit.

Why can't your hired help do it? Can s/he be replaced?

Best to you,
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

I have a woman come in once every two weeks, $20 an hour, to do the "heavy cleaning" -- wash floors, clean bathrooms, change the bed linen, vacuum. And then any other "unusual" chores I want done, like washing windows, shaking out curtains, straightening the closets, etc. In between I do surface cleaning, and clean my kitchen, then whatever else I can reach from my wheelchair. She usually is here 2 hours each time (I have 8 rooms to clean). She is not licensed, or part of an organization or company -- just someone who cleans houses for folks. She also is willing to drive me places (or rather I drive, she rides along, unloads my wheelchair, reaches stuff off the shelves in stores, etc.), take out trash (to the local dump; we don't have trash pickup)..pretty much whatever else I need doing.

I'd like a super clean house..but my husband is a hoarder-in-training, so we work around his junk, cat hair from my four cats, and whatever mess I'm making with my dollhouse construction. She's good natured about all of that...and doubles as a house and cat sitter if we're away, so this works for me! :)
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I no longer have a helper now that I'm in Oregon, but that is all right because the apartment is smaller and newer, the laundry room is right on the first floor where I live, and the management changes the ceiling light bulbs and even (once a year) washes the windows outside. Also, with air conditioning I have less down time in the summer.

I hired someone to put up the curtain fixtures and the heavier pictures when I moved in, and I'll be looking for someone to take the curtains down and wash them one of these days.

I don't cook any more except for easy top-of-the-stove items or meals I can put into the oven or microwave. As a vegetarian I steam quite a few vegetables but that's about the extent of my "cooking."

Some communities have volunteer helpers who will come in and do some tasks.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

Thank you ladies, just got to find someonne

Abby

Housecleaning is very expensive here also. Can't afford it and the house certainly needs it! Unfortunately, I have to sell it - can't afford house any longer....
    Last edited by newone; 11-22-2011 at 07:07 AM.

Newone to expensive is right - sorry you have to sell your home

I saw on TV one day the perfect way to decide on hiring someone to clean your house ask the person if you can see the inside of their car that usually will give you a good idea of how well they will clean your house.

I am worried about security issues if I go outsie a agency to get someone -

Abby

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Abby2006 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Newone to expensive is right - sorry you have to sell your home

I saw on TV one day the perfect way to decide on hiring someone to clean your house ask the person if you can see the inside of their car that usually will give you a good idea of how well they will clean your house.

I am worried about security issues if I go outsie a agency to get someone -

Abby
    newone, having to sell your home is sad. It happened to me years ago but I did find that I was really glad to be rid of the whole responsibility--the bills, the upkeep, things like rotting fascia board and gutters needing replacing, leaky roof, parts of the heating system needing replacing, frozen water pipes, carpenter ants--the list could go on and on. Did I mention mice?

Abby, that's probably good advice about asking to see the inside of somebody's car before signing them up to help with your cleaning. And I agree that sticking with agencies is advisable. They usually bond their workers and act as intermediaries if there's a problem--such as a worker who doesn't show up when expected.
    MS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/07 - 5/10.
    Member of this MS board since 2001.

I live in a really small town (500 people or so...) and everyone knows everyone else...or knows somebody who knows someone...so it's easy for me to avoid agencies. I know my cleaner, I know where she lives, I know people who know her, I know people who use her and have used her in the past. But if I lived in a larger city I certainly would use a licensed and bonded person, and an agency.
    ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o