Stand-Up MRI for diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand-Up MRI for diagnosis

I recently posted that I was undergoing cervical and brain MRIs, with and without contrast.

Since my symptoms occur while I am upright, and subside when horizontal, I had suggested to my neurosurgeon that I have them done at a Stand-Up facility. He was very pleased with that idea (shouldn't it have been his??), and I just got the results yesterday.
    Mine were negative for tachymeningeal enhancement, which according to my NS is the positive finding for a CSF leak. So I am back to square one.
    However, I wanted to post this suggestion as an option to all my friends on this site who are suffering from a leak, or suspected one. Perhaps this test is an option, and may show significant findings and aid you in resolving your situation.

Good luck to all --
    Marianne

I totally agree with you that stand up MRIs are the most logical way to get accurate results. At least you have those machines in the states. In the UK, there is ONE, at the Stand up MRI centre, privately run on Harley street. AND they do not do neuro radiology. so no chance for us brits!
    I am glad that you had the opportunity though, so on the findings what have they suggested now?

Comment

Marianne,

I thought your suggestion was a great idea so I made the same suggestion to my neurologist. He agreed that it is worth trying even though I have had two brain MRIs while lying down in the last year. I called the MRI facilities in my area that have standing and sitting MRIs and was told that they can do an upright brain MRI in the sitting position, not in the standing position. So I am scheduled for a sitting, upright MRI next week. Thank you for the suggestion.

Comment

I am not sure why they call it Stand-Up MRI, as the machine is actually equipped to have you sit during the test! From what I was told, there is no actual standing for any MRI in this machine. Strange name! It does help if you do not like closed spaces, as the entire front of the machine is open, and I even had a TV to watch. I was afraid this type of machine would not be clear, but the NS said they got excellent clarity on the films.

Glad you were able to get the appointment, Leaking. Good luck with your results - keep us posted, please!

I was told that there is no other test for me, other than an ICP monitor, to determine an actual continued leak. It was suggested that since I get relief from a combination of several meds, I should continue using those and just restrict my activities as needed.
        I am one of the fortunate ones on this site as I am able to do this, and lie down when necessary, since my company has me on total disability. My heart goes out to those who do not have that luxury.

Good luck to all - it's wonderful to share our experiences and information, and support.
        - Marianne

Comment

Upright MRI in spontaneous spinal cerebrospinal fluid leaks and intracranial hypotension.

AuthorsSchievink WI, et al. Show all Journal
          Headache. 2007 Oct;47(9):1345-6.

Affiliation
          The Maxine Dunitz Neurosurgical Institute, Department of Neurosurgery, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

Abstract
          Orthostatic headaches are the hallmark of spontaneous intracranial hypotension, but MRIs are traditionally obtained in the supine position. We investigated the utility of upright MRI of the brain in 6 patients with spontaneous intracranial hypotension. No discernable differences were noted between the supine and upright images.

PMID 17927653 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Comment

Seems like it should be a valid tool though. :)

Comment

Laura --
              And here I thought I was on to something! Dr. Schievink is the best - I should have known he would check out every angle.
              We'll all keep plugging away for an answer.
              Thanks for your post ---
              -Marianne

Comment

Marianne

Thanks for posting the result. I too feel it could make a difference in my case as things are always worse when I am up and working. It will be interesting to see if Leaking's results are different.

Comment

I had my sitting up brain MRI. My neurologist told me that the radiologist's report said that there was no difference from prior MRI.

Comment

Working...
                  X