Chiari 1 and Tethered Cords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chiari 1 and Tethered Cords

Classic Arnold-Chiari malformations are inheritied deformities in the nervous system that develop from ectodermal tissues in the embryo. Ectodermal tissues turn into nerves and skin. Chiari 1 malformations, on the other hand, appear to be due to design flaws in the posterior fossa of the skull, such as one that is too small. Smaller posterior fossas may explain why females have a higher incidence of Chiari malformations. In contrast to classic Chiari malformations, the skull develops from mesodermal tissues, which also develop into muscles and connective tissues. What's more, the latest research shows that adults can acquire Chiari 1 malformation due to degeneration and trauma of the spine. The cause in many cases may be due the tethering of the brain and cord.

Humans are susceptible to Chiari malformations due to the unique design of the skull, spine and circulatory system of the brain as a result of upright posture. Among other things, Chiari malformations may play a far greater role than we currently realize in the cause of neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis, as well as others.

For further information on cord tethering and Chiari 1 malformations click the link below to a page I published on the foramem magnum:

Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

I am new to this thread and I would appreciate help with my daughter, Jenna's, situation.

She was diagnosed several years ago with Arnold-Chiari(age 19), with the MRI showing the cerebellar tonsils extending approx. 6 mm below the foramen magnum. Her condition was found when she suffered a brief "stroke" after a chiropractic cervical manipulation which apparently kinked her vertebral artery.
    During the past 3 years, she has had several episodes starting with a "shock to the heart", then a resultant numbness in her arm(s) or face. Jenna then becomes anxious, with the associated feelings of being unable to breathe, and nausea/lightheadedness. The episodes last no more than an hour, usually prolonged due to her anxiety.

I would like to know if anyone on this forum can recommend a neurologist who specializes in this condition .Jenna rides/trains horses for her living,is extremely physically active. She is aware that her condition is not life-threatening, but the episodes nevertheless cause a great anxiety.

We are on Long Island, NY, but will travel if necessary. She has been seen at Columbia Presbyterian by a top neurologist, who suggests a low-dose SSRI, but Jenna is reluctant to start on medication unless absolutely necessary. Does diet/exercise play a part in reducing the chances of an episode?

What are your thoughts on SSRIs for a 27-year old? From what I have read, they may also alleviate her anxiety to a degree. Am I correct?? Are SSRIs the same as beta-blockers - which were also recommended for her.

Any response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

- A worried Mom (Marianne)

Comment

Working...
    X