Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask cleaning questions

Distinguished Community Member

Lor,personally I would only use bleach to clean the toilet. (just pour some in & close the lid for awhile-then flush).

bleach is very toxic. why expose yourself to it? might be cheap but it just might cause you some health issues also. I'd advise using something else.even Tide works well on wood,just need to rinse & dry off.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Yeah. It's just that I read that. I guess it was wrong. I was thinking that even though it's deluted allot...ummm, Isn't just a touch of bleach kinda ??? around food.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

I wish you good luck and make son do most of it. You can tell him how and where to clean.

I care about you Lor and want you to stay safe and well.

my love Jo (((((( Lor ))))))
    Last edited by Jo6; 11-19-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

I bought some Green Works. Jo, I just read John your post cuz he was sitting here. He said "It sounds like they think it's _______ (some TV show with I guess ground in dirt everywhere). It's mostly messy but with hidden 'icky stuff a bit'. My main concerns for Steve are the kitchen & bathroom.

All of you are so nice to help me, however :) (That sounds like I definately want no more talk. We can talk about cleaning tips, for each other, if you want. :) )

I hear plain vinegar is a good grease cutter. Also, I imagine baking soda is great in a kitchen too!
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Gosh Lor, I am so sorry to have given that impression. I didn't mean the man was dirty or anything like that. I worry too much.

We cleaned Ken's Moms house and it was a real job!! Although it was clean when we started moving things it needed some cleaning where furniture was. the atic was what tripped me. Things had not been moved in many years. His Dads duffle bag was all way back in there and when Ken pulled it out it was still FULL!! He fought in WW2. Can you imagine? lol

It was falling apart and I wouldn't touch it. Ken didn't want to, but we both finally stopped laughing enough to pile it on the truck to go to the dump.

Some houses are just harder to get clean than others. . I am sorry I sounded so bad. I went back and edited it. I am not upset at you, I just don't want you or John to feel bad about anything I say. I am just worried about your health.

I always wear a mask because of my COPD and dust will start an asthma attack quick as a wink. My skin breaks out with cleaning stuff so if I do any cleaning I always wear rubber gloves.

I know it is hard work and I hope you don't hurt yourself. Just take care and all will be good as new before you know it.

I truely am sorry, Jo

p.s.I use baking soda to clean the counter tops in my kitchen
    then rinse real good. You might want to use something else
    at first, then the baking soda. I use the baking soda to clean
    plastic bowls and such. It will remove tea stains real quick.
    Last edited by Jo6; 11-19-2011 at 08:24 PM. Reason: add thoughts
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Jo, You didn't 'bother' me, or whatever you call it. Acually, he was a dirty man...."a dirty old man" LOL. John found his collection of Playboys & 3 or 4 pictures of nude women. The day Steve & I went to clean, I found several slides of nude women -- & to think, he was 'very religious' (religious pictures & palms (Palm Sunday) everywhere. That duffle bag however sounds like this situation. We wore gloves just to take old pills, spices, bottles, etc. out of kitchen cabinets & drawers. I suggested a cleaning crew thing after someone here suggested it. John thinks it's not neccessary but I then think Steve (& GF if she is moving in?) will be running into spots that need cleaning, as long as they are there.

(One time I used Ajax in a clear plastic piture(sp) & scratched it up then found baking soda was what I should have used. Now since I have a new iced tea maker, I use baking soda.)
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Unhappy

Not to change the topic or anything...

Do any of you watch "Hoarders"? I do once in a while until my stomach starts to turn. The filth and messes on that show partially turn me off the rest is the way these hoarders are "molly coddled". When a person needs a TEAM of people to come in and shovel out their house because they are going to either be evicted or their house condemned by the city, I'm sorry, these people NEED a realty check. They rationalize the mess, make excuses, bring the clean-up to a halt and even ignore the fact that they have DEAD animals IN the mess. COME ON! :ambivalence: One woman actually lost her false teeth in the mess. One woman refused to believe she had more than one or two mice in her house when she had HUNDREDS!!

What I'm saying and what really bothers me is people are not being honest with these hoarders. They are trying to reason with them and they usually go storming off in a huff or go on a crying jag or throw a temper tantrum. What's wrong with this picture? IMO these hoarders are not being responsible and probably are like children, immature. They never learned how to be responsible and CLEAN or that there are consequences to their actions or inactions.

I will add that there ARE some hoarders that are mentally ill or have been severely affected by some major tragedy in their life, then they will need daily intervention and probably shouldn't be living alone. But there are some that are just spoiled and selfish. Constantly shopping is what I mean. Piling stuff upon more and more stuff just for the thrill of shopping. Going into such debt they put their whole family's security at risk. I've seen the effect this has on the kids in this situation many times. It even splits families apart forever. They need mental heath intervention. This is just a bad habit that needs to be broken. I personally couldn't imagine shopping like that.

White vinegar is another great thing for cleaning. I always have a few gallons to use. I remember when I'd hear my mom complaining that her coffee pot was getting slow. When she'd go to work, I'd clean it with the white vinegar. She'd know as soon as she ran it, that I'd cleaned it. :) Here's a site with 1,001 Uses for White Distilled Vinegar. It has information about use of white vinegar in cleaning, gardening, laundry, health, automotive, pets and cooking. :)
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

I was thinking I might use a paste of vinegar & baking soda for the kitchen. (I run vinegar through my coffee pot once & awhile.)
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone !

yeah, vinegar is great! i am using it in some warm water to clean out the inside of my refrigerator...the glass shelves and even the outside! i have a teapot and i mix half water and half vinegar and let it simmer 5 minutes and it gets all the gunk out of the teapot also.

you can also wash your fruits and whole veggies (like tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.) in a water and vinegar mix. just rinse well and dry with paper towels. they put wax on cucumbers to make them shiny! i do not like wax in my food. here's a website that explains how they tested this and what works: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=14540742

barque, i think everyone who hoards does so for some kind of psychological reason. the people who buy new stuff and never use it, wasting money and getting into debt, are looking for something to make them feel better cause they are not dealing with their issues. i think all hoarders deserve our sympathy and they all need help.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast