Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask cleaning questions

Blog Entries

Simple Green all purpose cleaner (haven't used there "naturals' line yet though) is a non toxic bio degradable cleaner that cleans really well. It won't corrode your faucets and doesn't dull your mirrors. It's concentrated so you can use as is (for really nasty stuff) or mix it with water :) Like I said though the smell takes a little getting used to, not as bad as ammonia or bleach but not as pleasant as fresh baked bread
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

My parents had an addition put on the house, after living here for 20 yrs. We had never seen mice before, but soon after the addition, we started seeing 'em. We had a heatilator in the family room, and decided we wanted a real fireplace, so that was built as well. Not long after that fireplace was built, we noticed mice coming in through the fireplace. Had a cleanout door on the chimney outside, so my dad sealed it w/caulk after. The dog would always be laying on the hearth, and as soon as a mouse came in, he'd chase it. Saw them run and slip under the kitchen cupboards a few times. My dad set traps in each room, and we got rid of 'em soon after. I can't imagine what it would be like with a house full.

I always have a bottle of Simple Green to use. I've used Lysol and Mr. Clean, whichever was a lower price, I had bottles of both last yr., and did some testing. I noticed that Lysol works better, so I've been sticking with that since then. Spic and span works well on floors and walls. I've always liked Fantastik, so usually have a bottle of that as well. The Clorox wipes work well, and you can buy 'em fragranced, so you don't smell bleach. I usually have a bottle of Clorox cleanup also. I helped my mom clean this house for yrs., and still use the same cleaners.
    Last edited by Michelle83; 11-15-2011 at 10:52 PM.
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Red face

Funny you mentioned mice Michelle. I have lived in the same place for years and never had a mouse either. BUT every once in a while I would THINK I saw some tiny, little dark thing out the corner of my eye run past me in different rooms but no evidence of any mouse anywhere. I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me again, something they do on a regular basis. Well, last week I went under my cupboard to get a bag of flour and it was half gone with a big chew hole on the side. Also a whole bag of powdered milk was totally eaten and half the bag with it. I also found droppings for the first time. I have set some glue traps and bags of poison but no sign of the little monkey yet.

I mentioned the Spic and Span in the box, it's a powder because you can mix it with hot water really strong. BUT you must wear rubber gloves when using it. It'll fry the skin right off your hands otherwise.
    Last edited by Barque; 11-17-2011 at 03:36 PM.

When I saw that mice had been mentioned earlier, I decided to tell about when they showed up here.

This kitchen has a vinyl floor, and my mom always had a box of spic and span powder to clean it. One of us would have a bucket of spic and span mixed with hot water, and scrub w/a brush. The other would have a bucket of hot water and a rag, to rinse and wipe up. We always wore rubber gloves, to keep our hands safe.
    Life's greatest gifts are often found in friendships.

Distinguished Community Member

Default my thoughts

Lor,hope the mice situation is under control!

the kitchen is most likely very greasy. I use Greased Lightening for tough jobs,even the oven racks. very toxic so wear a mask & heavy rubber gloves. don't forget the hood/vent.

look for mice damage to cords,insulation,etc. they love kitchen ranges! under the burners,drawer under oven.

vinegar is very cheap,non toxic & cleans just about anything. best for glass (just ball up some newspapers to wipe off) I just dump some in a bucket of hot water.smell goes away too.

my favorite cleaning product for anything is "Green Works" by Clorox. it smells MUCH better than Simple Green (Mike).

make sure you pick up new smoke detector's/batteries & fire ex. for the house. things your son might not think of.

there's a product called TSP that cleans walls/smoke,etc. very well. it's cheap. can find where they sell paint/wallpaper. comes in a powder you mix with water.

get some good sponges to clean walls-well worth the $$

happy cleaning!

Distinguished Community Member

lor back when i cleaned wlls, I would buy one of those foam mop things and use it. I hated having to do all the high and low places and found that if I kept a sponge mop just for that, it made it so much easier to do the walls. good luck with it.

Distinguished Community Member tic chick's Avatar

hey everyone!

TSP is great for grease and smoke as pati says, but it is also very caustic, so you need those rubber gloves again!

i wouldn't do this at all! i think pati said to hire someone to come in and clean it. for the amount you'd spend in products and time, i'd rather not put up with the hassle. if he's renting the house for $1 a month, the cost of cleaning is worth it.

then i'd also call in an exterminator to get rid of those mice and a handyman to caulk any holes from the outside that mice can get through. like julia said, if they stick their nose in, the rest of the body just flattens out and follows.

lor, you know YOU are the one that's going to wind up cleaning all this. tell your son to pay for it and consider it the cost of a first month's rent.

just my humble "i hate rubber gloves and cleaning" opinion.

jeannie
    Here's to good women. May we know them. May we be them. May we raise them.
    "The world is a better place when you're barefoot." Mark
    "Don't go there unless you know the way back." TC
    "...there will be an answer. Let it be." Paul McCartney

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Red face

My building is brick and 2 years ago the building was sold. The new owner is restoring and reinforcing everything. He had a team of men come an "Point" the entire exterior of the building. "Pointing" is the word for recementing and mortaring brick buildings and completely brushing down the whole thing to make it look newer and plug up any holes in the cement. They did a beautiful job, I think I may have taken a picture or two, let me go look...

Community Member

I'm with jeannie. Hire it done. Get people who do post-disaster clean up if necessary---people who will be moving the appliances, and will scrub behind those things, etc. It's the only way, unless you've got a week to do it that carefully yourself.

Also WEAR PLASTIC EYE PROTECTION AND DUST MASKS. If there are mice, you do NOT want stray dry rodent fecal matter flying into your body, nor whatever else might be in there. When we bought our place and I spent a week cleaning it all up, I was sooooo glad to have eye and ear protection from all the weird dust and crud and so forth.
    Dx: Epilepsy; depression; chronic GERD and peptic ulcer disease; pelvis and spine damage from accident.

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

I have the time but I'm most worried about the kitchen. Do I just use a gallon of water with a half a cup of bleach to do cupboards & drawers?

Thankyou all. Maybe I'll buy some Simple Green or Geen Works today.
    Lorraine (lor)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast