Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I ask cleaning questions

Distinguished Community Member lor's Avatar

Default Can I ask cleaning questions

My son hasn't decided to clean his house yet. It's a discusting mess. He opened the fireplace flue(sp) and a dead racoon fell out. He opened the kitchen drawer & 4 mice jumped out. I picture him, his GF, Lisa & I cleaning. Whats a good way to clean & disinfect kitchen/food areas? But we have to clean all rooms. (Accually, it's in a nice neighborhood!? Just empty for 2 yrs. The previous owner had loaves of bread on the floor, etc.)

I made a list of cleaning stuff to take. Pinesol, Lysol (liquid & spray), Ajax, bleach, amonnia, Pop-Ups, buckets, rags, scrub brushes, broom. Can you add to it & suggest what to do?

Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Rubber gloves for sure and maybe those paper mask, you dont want to breath in too many fumes,
    plastic bags to tie up garbage, but you are well armed with cleaning supplies, you will be fine, be sure to wear the mask when cleaning the fireplace then light a nice fire in it to clean the rest of it. good luck , Happy cleaning :) Ging

TY Ging, We R going to do the fireplace later. He plans to call a professional for up high. Having too much soot can be dangerous. The 1st thing we want to clean is the kitchen. Can I spray water with a little bleach, in the drawers & wipe? Any soap? Is that best? Yuk....there were mice & droppings. Cupboards too I bet. :ambivalence: Yeah, rubber gloves.
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Jo6's Avatar

Lor dear, is there furniture in the house? Is so and there are some peices you want to keep don't take it further than the front yard. Clean it after empting all drawers. Please be careful with mixing hosehold cleaners. Sometimes what is written on the bottle isn't whats in the bottle. The Elderly sometimes do strange things when it comes to cleaning stuff!!

You can do yourself in by mixing cleaners. Now, clean every spot on any furniture you keep. If you've seen that many mice you can count on having a housefull!! Could even be snakes with it being empty for so long.

It's hard to believe your SIL ignored the place when he left home. She should have emptyed all the food out. Fridge? Gads, I would probably just take it to the dump!!

If you don't get all the mice they will only multify and before you know it the house will be run over with them again. Find all and any place they can get in and close it wherever those are. A mouse can get into a place if it is no bigger than it's nose. If he gets his nose in then the whole body follows.

I feel for you, I really do. My MIL's house didn't have anbody living there about 2 yrs. before we finnished clearing it out. Even though I didn't SEE any mice there were droppings everywhere. I came home every night and scrubed the skin off me before I touched anything.

Rubber gloves is a must. More than 1 pair too. It will take you a good long time to do this. If I were your son I would call in a profesional cleaning crew and have THEM do the cleaning. It may cost him a bundel it is worth it not to have to fool with it. I tell you, it is hard work.

When we got to MIL's attic, dang, I about run out on Ken. He would throw stuff down to the empty living room and I would go thru it. I found some stuff I thought Ken would want to Keep and seperated them from the rest.

By the time we were thru he had a huge truck load full and that was just the attic. Yep, I would call the cleaning people in a heart beat.

You take care and don't hurt yourself. my love, Jo
    Did you ever know that you're my hero and every thing I would like to be I can fly higher than an eagle
    'cause you are the wind beneath my wings

for my brother Ben

Blog Entries

Mr. Clean bathroom and kitchen scrubbers. You'll need a few if it's as bad as I picture it. Will also save you from some of the fumes. I also like Simple Green, but it's smell takes some getting used too
    Question: Why can't I post links or pictures?
    Question: Why can't I have a signature, avatar, or profile picture?
    Question: What's wrong with my account?

Answer: You are in the "registered users" user group. This group is very limited in what it can do. This will annoy spammers to no end Just keep posting once you have been registered for 30 days and have made 11 posts your account will be "unlocked".

It's really easy to put someone on ignore and it's strongly recommended that you do so with people who's posts you don't like.

Step 1 - log in
    Step 2 - click on the "settings" link
    Step 3 - click on the "edit ignore list" link on the left side of the screen
    Step 4 - type (or paste if you copied and pasted it) the username of the person you want to ignore
    Step 5 - click the "ok" button on the right of the screen

Easy peasy and will lower your blood pressure. One important note though, this won't hide quoted posts. It's an oversight on the developers part and it's not an easy thing to "fix." So if someone quotes someone you have ignored, you'll see the quote.

Alternatively when you click on a person's name and view their profile page, underneath their avatar, there is a option that says, "Ignore this person". Click that link and then click the yes button.

Distinguished Community Member Ging's Avatar

Hey, Mike,
    I forgot about simple green, that is good stuff, thanks for putting it back in my head :)

I never heard of Simple Green. Tell me about it.
    Lorraine (lor)

Great Mike!
    Lorraine (lor)

Distinguished Community Member Barque's Avatar

Red face

Can you get some BEFORE and AFTER pics for us. I love to see the changes.

My suggestions are 3 Piles:

Trash

Keep

Donate

In each room make 3 piles and get all the trash and donate stuff OUT first. Decide where to put the keep and put it in appropriate rooms. That'll make a good start.

Get all the dirty laundry done too or at least get it all bagged up and put somewhere out of the way.

Good luck lor. I actually love doing this kind of thing. I am an organizing FOOL.

Spic and Span in the box, it's a powder you mix with hot water, works like magic on really greasy, grimey walls like in the kitchen. I won't use anything else. Cuts down your scubbing time to a wipe or two.
    Last edited by Barque; 11-15-2011 at 07:35 PM.

Distinguished Community Member

We clean my mom's place with Awesome. It really works great on anything dirty. You can buy it at the family dollar store.
    Take care,
    Dawn

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast