Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: February Chit/Chat

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

ANN ~

Yay! for MA for doing the most sensible and logical thing with COVID vaccines! I'm sorry that Peter missed this opportunity. But at least you can all go together.

Sunshine ~

I hope your sore arm and nausea abate soon and that you have no further side effects from the vaccine.

Virginia ~

As I write this on my new iMac, I encourage you to find a new computer sooner rather than later. You mentioned that you ordered a USB for back up of your current computer. Is it a flash drive? I used an external storage disk, which I plugged into my old computer to retrieve/back up all of the data.

Do you use a laptop or a desk top computer? You could tell your brother that you need a new computer, and he could go on line and look for one for you from his own home.

My dear friend guided me through the set up of my new iMac over the phone, so your brother or some other person could do the same for you. The new computer (at least on a Mac) will take you through steps to set it up. I highly recommend a Mac, because they are very straightforward with instructions, easy to use and don't require Windows. Also safer from malware.

About the Medicare card phone call: Spam Caller.

https://www.fcc.gov/beware-new-medicare-card-scams

I never ever give out any identifying information to anyone, who calls me, unless I am expecting or making that call. My answering machine takes all of my calls and has for years, because the phone ringer disturbed my boys and then Jim. Plus, I couldn't just drop what I was doing to answer the phone a dozen or more times a day.

As Seniors, we are targets for a variety of scams, so we must be diligent and not answer any questions unless we are certain we are talking with the proper authority/agency.

I hope your inclement weather is waning, and tomorrow's skies will be blue and sunny.

With the help of my dear friend today, I retrieved 629 photos, from 2009 to 2019, from my old computer. I feared that they were all lost, and I was very sad about that, because I hadn't stored them anywhere else. But there they were, thanks to my dear friend, and I was so happy to see my beautiful Jon and Jim and the memories of that decade. Now, they are in the iCloud, exactly where they belong.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, I use a desktop computer, but it sits on it's side and is slim, so not much space taken up. My modem is here in my office also. It is the modem for my internet, telephone and cable. So it is altogether.

I have never used a Mac. I have been using windows since I started on computers at home and at work, so I feel very comfortable with them. I know Macs are nice.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=stillstANNding;100018]The state (MA) announced today that if you are a caregiver, family member, neighbor or trusted friend of someone over 75, you can get a vaccine at the same time as the elderly person regardless of your age starting tomorrow. This is for four mass vaccination sites. They’ve added appointments starting tomorrow morning.

Oh my goodness, someone is listening to me. Peter just missed this deal by 5 days.

The problem is that this deal works only if I took John to one of 4 mass sites in the state. I cannot drive to the one closest to me...and local news showed pictures of very long lines of people shivering in the cold and snow! So the caretaker has to be strong and the elder being transported has to be able th survive long hours in line. The rollout in MA is horrible. Waiting weeks for those 75 and older to choose to be vaccinated. Wrong problem to have wasted weeks on. Older folks would have gotten vaccinated from the get go...the places to get it needed to be fixed.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The two vaccination sites in this town have shut down for now because of the snow.

I'm just waiting until it becomes easier to get the vaccine. I'm hoping that it will eventually be easier. Getting to/from a site and probably having a long wait while there are pretty daunting for me. I'd need to find the bathroom while waiting and might lose my place in line. In take-a-number situations, I'm apt not to hear my number being called.

The groceries got here yesterday, just as the snow was starting. Now there are a couple of inches out there and no indication that it will melt for a few days. Just enough snow to shut everything down.
    Last edited by agate; 02-12-2021 at 09:53 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Agate, glad to hear you got your groceries before the snow got there.

Our weather has been dismal for the past few days and is forecast to be the same everyday except Wednesday until next weekend. It is rain and more rain. It is also raw and cold, not getting out of the 30s in the daytime and due to get below freezing tonight.

I havenít been out all week. I think it was one day last week. I really canít get to my trash.

One more reason to get my second vaccine, Laura would be able to do this.

I am typing on my iPhone and it is difficult.

Things seem to have really opened up here in the past few weeks as far as the vaccines go. More and more people seem able to get them with no problem.

My brother who had COVID called this week and he and his wife got their first one the following day. Hope this keeps on.

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

(((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

You're used to PCs, and I'm used to Macs. And we should all stay with what we feel comfortable and familiar with when we upgrade our devices. If you want to replace your desk top computer with the same brand/manufacturer, then perhaps you could do a search for available models and get an idea of what would be an appropriate replacement for you.

I can tell you that the changes in technology in the years since your and my computers were in vogue are amazing. The lack of stress over losing the computer is incredible and so relieving for me.

Are you using your iPhone, because your computer is on the fritz again? I highly recommend that you back up your old computer and begin looking for a new one. I feel better with my new iMac, and I think you will feel the same with a newer, more reliable desk top computer.

I didn't realize that people, who have had COVID, could be vaccinated so soon after having it. How is your brother feeling? Any improvement with his breathing?

Lazarus ~

I'm so sorry that you are encountering so many obstacles to getting the vaccine. You are proof that coast to coast this vaccine roll out is a debacle.

The new Administration is contending with too many crises, and they can't all be solved in a few days. I guess we need to hold onto the hope that things will get better.

agate ~

What you and Linda described about waiting in line, traveling a distance to an unfamiliar place, being out in the cold, to get a vaccine just reinforces my comment earlier that no thought to the needs of Seniors has been given in the vaccine roll out. I'm sure that these obstacles would be the same for the majority of Seniors, and these things should have been and should be considered in scheduling Seniors to receive the vaccine.

It's good that you received your groceries, despite the weather.

To all of you, who are experiencing cold, rainy or snowy weather, I send warm thoughts.

Stay safe and be well, everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Supposedly we've had 8 inches of snow so far, with another ice storm on the way. Everything is shut down. There was mail yesterday but so far none today.

My son and his wife and 2-year-old plus the pets plus the woman who lives in part of their place plus her kitten have been without power for over 12 hours now. They are feeling the cold.

AND a poor shivering cat turned up outside their door, and so they took her in. They're trying to locate her home or find her a home.

There was supposed to be a FaceTime session with them today but they've lost all of their connectivity except for what they can get via a vehicle.

He did call though. At least that could still happen though I wish they hadn't given up on the landline phone. It's one good reason for hanging onto your landline phone--it's apt to work during a power outage.

Of course the 2-year-old is restless. The dog is getting old and incontinent. There are several cats. I'm not so concerned about the cats, who seem to find cozy spots and take a ho-hum attitude about situations that would send everyone else around the bend.

The power company says it expects to have the power restored for the 13,000 people in that ZIP code who are affected by Monday in the late afternoon. The governor is declaring a state of emergency for 9 counties, and theirs is one of them. So is mine but so far the power is still here. I really hope it will stay on.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I hope you keep your power, too, Agate. When we get Nor’easters, I turn the heat up a bit and the fridge down a bit so both will last a bit longer if we lose power.

Sorry you missed your video visit with your grandson. I think William.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Agate, your son and his family are being hit hard. I do hope they get power back sooner than Monday. With so many outages, who knows. It is really hard on people to be without heat in weather like that and with a little one especially.

I cranked up my desk top tonight and it came right up. Rose this type computer fits my space. I have a large monitor that takes up part of the top of my computer hutch and the computer sits beside it since it is a small tower. My modem that serves all of my stuff is on the floor. My computer has an Intel Pentium processor and a 1TB hard drive. Every time windows has been updated mine has been, so I have windows 10, which is the same as what would come with a new computer. Not sure what I will do yet because it is hard for me to be out looking at computers with my walking so limited. Of course right now the weather and COVID are a deterrent also. I want to get this whole computer backed up before doing anything. I have been on line and they are not making this type anymore. I don't know why, I think they are wonderful.

My brother who had COVID did get very sick for about two days. He had a fever of 101 degrees and hard chills. Then he came out of it. He asked if it was too soon and they said it was not. His wife who also had it did not have any affects afterward. He might have failed to tell them how bad his case was. On the other hand I have heard of people who have reactions with the first shot and he says he has too.

Guess I need to go wash my face, brush my teeth and bet ready for bed.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

There have been 9.8 inches of snow, a record for this date. Some people are having a pretty good time with it:

https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/..._breaking_news

More drama around these parts. A TREE just fell in son's yard, damaging the car belonging to the woman who is temporarily living with them. It was their tree, and they had done the right thing last summer when they had their trees inspected by an arborist. This tree just couldn't take all of the snow and ice.

Last edited by agate; 02-14-2021 at 02:42 PM.

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast