Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can COVID-19 vaccines be mandatory?

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

If it is any comfort to you, none of this makes any sense to me either.

Why are we told that they have vaccines, then we find out they don't have enough?

I watched Jimmy Kimmel's monologue from last night on YouTube today, and he described the ordeal he went through trying to schedule an appointment for the vaccine for his parents. Answering a questionnaire, then being directed to a list of appointments available, only to discover a list of: "No appointments available." He had to fill out the questionnaire again every time he checked for available appointments. It took him hours to get an appointment, and he commented that this must be difficult for older people to wade through this mire as he did.

With the shortage of the vaccines currently, who will get priority in 3 weeks? The people getting their first shot or the people getting their second shot?

As for prioritizing the "tiers" for the vaccine, nowhere have I seen "people with disabilities." Or people with cancer or immune disorders, all of whom are at risk for severe cases of and death from COVID.

So, we're on our own in the COVID vaccine lottery.

Good idea to wear 2 masks, Virginia. Just be sure to dispose of them or wash them after one wearing.

Be safe and well, everyone ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Yesterday I listened to a news brief by our state secretary of health. She was making a little more sense. The people in Mecklenburg county up near Charlotte had been promised this vaccine in order to have this big drive thru - I assumed she meant some time ago. She says that the state has been being told that they would get a certain amount and then they don't get that much.

She thinks things are now going to open up so that they know what they are going to get ahead of time. She says that it will be allocated to counties going forward, by population. We are due 120,000 vaccines today. I hope we got them. That is not much, but it is better than not knowing or expecting a shipment and then not getting it. She also says that she wants 95% of our stockpile to be used every week, because if we are not using what we have we will be cut down. However, I assume this does not mean the second vaccine because she said she wanted to assure everyone that the 2nd shot would be there for them.

I get different updates pertaining to things from my newspaper everyday. I am going on to see if they have posted an update on whether or not the shipment arrived for 120,000 today. She has done her best during this past year, but has truly had her hands full. She has not had her shot yet, but said as soon as it comes her turn she will get on the list.
    Virginia

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Is this of any use to you, Virginia?

https://abc11.com/covid-vaccine-nc-v...date/10054390/

Today a memo came around to the residents here, announcing a third case of COVID-19 in the building.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia ~

That update seems promising, and I hope it comes to fruition for you and everyone in your state.

Today, I watched Jimmy Kimmel's monologue from last night, in which he updated his in-laws' vaccine situation. (Turns out it is his in-laws, not his parents.) Mother-in-law went for her vaccine yesterday, and when she arrived, she was told that they had sent all of the personnel home for the day! So no one was available to administer the shot! She was given another appointment. I just can't believe how bad this is, with the number of COVID cases and deaths in California.

How is your brother doing now? Healing prayers continue.

agate ~

I wonder how the residents in your building are being exposed to COVID. I pray that you and your neighbors remain safe.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Agate, thanks so much for all this information. Some of it is still confusing to me. They seem to be having clinics that I know nothing about.

I am very concerned about the additional out breaks in your building. Like Rose, I am curious as to where they are being exposed. I would assume that once they get it that they are confined to their apartments. I hope you do what my neighbors and I do and that is not visit anyone. You are in a retirement home, not a long term facility. I wonder if these people had caregivers or help that brought it in without realizing it. Of course they say it spreads several days before a person knows they have it. Stay Alone!

I hope your shoulder and arm are far better.

Rose, I just keep praying that John will not come down with this. I wish he could get vaccinated. I am sorry he has lost another friend.

Did not talk to my brother today. The day was kind of taken up with insurance company as was yesterday. Sorry if I said anything about this before - I can't remember. Anyway, I received a letter yesterday pertaining to my Medicare part D. I changed companies in December because the one I was with was no longer going to cover my Rebif. This company said in all their literature and their Drug Formulary that they covered it. This new letter stated that they had let me have a 30 day supply, but after that it was not covered. I was on the phone most of yesterday afternoon with someone I could not understand and he had no idea what I was saying. After far more than an hour I gave up. I got back on the phone today in order to talk to someone else. She finally, after having to put me on hold, a number of times said yes it was covered, but I had to have step therapy. Step therapy was Betaseron and Avonex. I told her I had had Avonex and couldn't take Betaseron, so she says she has sent a letter to my Doctor to get him to state that I can only take Rebif.

Isn't that the craziest thing you ever heard of. When the insurance company starts trying to dictate which multiple sclerosis drug a person can take, even though the one the Doctor has written a prescription for is on their formulary. I am sure Betaseron and Avonex are expensive drugs also. It's not like going from a brand name to a generic. That I can understand. This I can't.
    Virginia

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia, this idea about "step therapy" makes no sense to me. I've heard of some of the riskier MS drugs, maybe Tysabri or Ocrevus (I'm not sure which ones), requiring that the person have tried other MS drugs first--usually one of the interferons, I think, and I guess it's because someone has decided that people shouldn't be on these riskier drugs unless they've already tried and failed with the less risky drugs (or maybe just with one of them).

But Rebif is always mentioned as part of the ABCR or CRAB drugs, if you recall? The magic 4 that were offered to people with MS routinely? Rebif was known as a lot like Avonex except that it wasn't quite, and Betaseron was a bit like both of them, and Copaxone was in a class by itself because it's not an interferon but neurologists kept telling me that "all of those drugs do pretty much the same thing" and so the patient could just pick one.

I never heard any reason why Rebif was a drug that you could only move "up" to after trying other MS drugs. Is it possible that whoever spoke to you on the phone was misinformed?

I'm betting that the place you were talking to (the insurance people?) have a system where their phone-responders read their replies from a script. Lots of places do this, I understand. I had a helper a while back who told me about what it was like to work for Social Security answering its calls. She said she was given a big book of possible questions with the scripted answers there for her to read aloud to the caller. She was expected to do this and not use her noggin to adapt the answer to the individual caller's question. I think that this absurd practice must lead to a lot of misinformation being given out.

agate ~

I wonder how the residents in your building are being exposed to COVID. I pray that you and your neighbors remain safe.
    Thank you, Rose.

This building has 58 units but 60-some residents because some units are occupied by married couples. I'm not surprised that there are some COVID-19 cases.

Each person who rents an apartment here gets a key to the building's front doors (7 of them, all on one key) and a key to the apartment. That person can duplicate those keys and hand them out to people of his/her choice. Usually the keys go to helpers and/or family members but you never know. All of these people with keys can just come and go as they please.

Of course most are trying to visit only when absolutely necessary but I've seen quite a few people who don't live here getting on and off the elevator. I'm sure that transmission is possible. Most of us use the same laundry room, elevator, halls, and get our mail at the same location. All of these places are possible human contacts. What with most people here so hard of hearing that everyone is in the habit of staying fairly close to people they're talking to, the social distancing isn't going to be perfect.

Virginia, thank you for your concern too. Rest assured--I don't see much of anyone. I give empty cans and bottles to a couple of neighbors for recycling about once a week and sometimes exchange a few words while doing that, or meet someone in or near the laundry room and talk for a few minutes. The grocery delivery person comes once a week and we might chat for less than 5 minutes. Packages are often just left outside my door or out in the building entryway--I don't often see the delivery person, and I've noticed that I no longer am asked to sign for packages.

Yes, the people with COVID-19 are reported to be in quarantine for a few weeks, staying in their apartments. The one I know rarely left her apartment anyway and so that wouldn't be so hard for her but I have no idea who the other two are.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia ~

I'm with you on your insurance trying to dictate which drugs you should be taking or in what order. Also, how long have you been taking Rebif? Continuity of care is a primary concern here. I'm so sorry you have to go through so many hassles for everything.

Of course, I pray that John doesn't get COVID, and thank you for your prayers. We discussed this today, when he visited to try to fix Jon's recliner for me. I saw an interview with an expert physician today, in which he discussed wearing 2 masks instead of one now. He recommended KN95 masks, and said that they are available on Amazon (and they are). They are the next best thing to the N95 masks, which medical caregivers wear. They have 5 layers of protection. I want John to have these masks.

I asked John about when he could get the vaccine, and he replied that at this point, he isn't sure whether he is considered an "essential worker." Of course, he is! It's just crazy in California right now.

We talked about the snow stranded vaccinators in Oregon, who had left over vaccines and went car to car asking if people wanted to be vaccinated. Otherwise, it would go to waste. Many people declined, but a few said, "Sure!" One man reportedly took off his shirt and jumped out of his car!

Johnson & Johnson Vaccine

Apparently, what I reported earlier about J&J dropping their vaccine was incorrect. Here is the latest news:

https://www.nasdaq.com/articles/john...use-2021-01-27

It will be a couple of months (or so) before J&J rolls out their vaccine, so it's probably wise not to wait for it to be available, if the current vaccines are accessible.

agate ~

Your acts of kindness always touch my heart. Bless you for helping others.

Your observations about how your neighbors may have contracted COVID are more than educated guesses. You do have contact, however infrequent, and you live in proximity to each other. Plus visitors or careproviders coming into your community bring more potential for exposure.

My prayers are with you to remain safe and that you'll be able to have the vaccine soon.

Love & Light,

Rose

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Today, I have seen several news stories about the Johnson & Johnson vaccine on TV. Here is today's news about it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladit...h=f5a2e471dbba

We are in such a mess, we can certainly use all the help we can get.

Virginia ~

Did you get your vaccination today? I hope all went well for you and your brother.

Sending prayers and healing energy to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Been vaccinated Rose. I told the nurse it didn't even pinch. My youngest brother who took me was so sweet. He insisted on holding my hand and getting me up my steps when we came home. He called today with something he had worked out in his mind that he thought would help me get up and down the steps. His mind just goes a million miles an hour.

He also told me I need some tennis shoes that are flat and slip on. He says they are comfortable and kind of stretch and are not real tight on your feet. He thinks they will help me. I ordered a pair tonight. He thinks my shoe soles are too slippery. I guess he had an opportunity to watch me try to get around more than he usually does. I ordered some sketchers. I had no idea what kind to get, but can send them back if they don't work.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Virginia, I love my Sketchers! My physiatrist recommended a shoe with a gel foam sole. I think you’ll love them.

AN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast