Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autoimmune Disorders/Immunosuppresion and COVID Vaccines

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Autoimmune Disorders/Immunosuppresion and COVID Vaccines

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

After I read funnylegs4ís post about the COVID vaccine risk for people on blood thinners in the Stroke Forum, I decided to research whether there is a risk for people, who are immunocompromised or have autoimmune disorders.

So far, Iíve found and read two articles:

https://www.healthline.com/health-ne...vid-19-vaccine

https://www.painnewsnetwork.org/stor...hronic-illness

As I expected, the COVID vaccines havenít been tested on people with autoimmune disorders or who are immunocompromised from chemotherapy.

I think that would apply to a majority of BrainTalk members, but especially the MS/SPS forum members.

I have RA and Psoriasis, and while not diagnosed, probably osteoporosis. At this point, I believe Iíd be considered at risk for the COVID vaccine.

The articles advise us to consult our physicians on the safety of the vaccine, if we have an autoimmune disorder and/or are immunocompromised from chemo or similar drug therapy, including steroids. That seems to put tremendous pressure on our physicians. How do they know whether it is safe, if it has not been tested on people with autoimmune diseases? They are just throwing darts in the dark.

The year before his cancer diagnosis, Jim had a horrible RA flare. Our family doctor referred him to a rheumatologist, and then he insisted that Jim have a pneumonia vaccine while he was in the office. An hour after Jim came home, he was in bed, where he stayed for 10 days. His arm hurt for at least 6 months from the injection.

For those, who have an autoimmune disorder, the articles try to give us hope that we will benefit from herd immunity. How large is our herd of people with autoimmune disorders, rare conditions, who are taking some kind of immuno-supressing drug? Iím guessing it is in the multi millions.

Iím certain that the number of people in America, who have a disabling condition is much larger than statistics might indicate. One reason is because the Census never asks about disabilities. Another reason is that many residents in the U.S. do not have access to appropriate health care. They could have an assortment of medical conditions, which are undiagnosed.

So, there is probably a large swath of people, who might not fare well on these vaccines. Iíve been avoiding the news a little, so I donít know whether this potential
    problem is being discussed in major media outlets. It should be, because we canít just expect our physicians to know and warn us it could be unsafe. They should, of course, but we canít expect it.

A few weeks ago, John asked me if I intended to take the vaccine, when it became available, and I responded, ďI donít know. Right now, Iím thinking that I wonít. I know that it hasnít been tested on people like me, because thatís how it works and always has with Big Pharma.Ē

I know this, because I devoted 50 years to researching drugs to help my children, parents, family, friends, and of course, Jim. The first thing I look for is drug interactions, and the second thing is side effects, especially ďrareĒ side effects.

Of course, I am certainly not advocating that anyone, who wants a vaccine, not get one, or actually two as required for efficacy. Iím just providing you with information.

Iím not a scientist or a qualified medical professional by any means. I am a proponent of research and informed decision-making.

And, I love you.

Be well, be safe, be strong.

Here is the link to funnylegs4ís post in the Stroke Forum:

http://www.braintalkcommunities.org/...OVID19-vaccine

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, thank you for digging up this very useful information.

There are people here who are taking some MS drugs that would cause them to be immunocompromised--and apparently the COVID-19 vaccine might not be a good idea for them--just yet, anyway.

Others are taking no MS drugs or are taking drugs that modulate the immune system but don't suppress it. It's probably OK for this group to get the vaccine, except that MS is often classified as an autoimmune disorder now, and so maybe not.

The one autoimmune disorder mentioned in your second link that would be a problem so far as the COVID-19 vaccine is concerned is lupus. But I've heard some doctors say on TV news programs that anyone with an autoimmune disorder might not be a candidate for this COVID-19 vaccine.

As I said somewhere else on this board, I have doubts about a vaccine that has been rushed through in this way. And as so often happens, the drug was tested only on healthy people. They just don't know what it might do to older people or people who have a chronic disorder.

That generic Copaxone is sitting in my fridge waiting for some more materials to come my way and maybe a nurse appointment for the first shot. Since it just might offer some protection against COVID-19, I'm going ahead with it and am still thinking about the COVID-19 vaccine.

It may be a while before I'll need to decide. The first people to be vaccinated will be health-care workers and people in nursing homes. They won't get around to seniors in apartment buildings for a while. For one thing, I doubt that they're going to bring the vaccine to us. It would be too big a problem in social distancing. So all of us would need to travel somewhere twice to get vaccinated. This won't be so easy for some of us here.

However, I will do it if it seems like a good idea.

Just to put this into perspective, the 1918 flu pandemic lasted about a year and killed 675,000 Americans. This 2019-2020 pandemic has lasted nearly a year now and has killed 300,000. So the 1918 flu seems to have been a much more brutal killer.

Many of us here already lead fairly isolated lives. We might just be better off without the COVID-19 vaccine though, like Rose, I wouldn't want to try to influence anyone one way or the other.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Well, unless I'm somehow FORCED to take this vaccine, I don't plan to get it. Like Agate noted, it has been rushed through the approval process. As little as I even go out of the house, I will wear a mask until my life ends if need be.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

6. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I don't much mind having to wear a mask. I'm gradually learning how to keep my glasses from fogging up and my hearing aids from dropping out. It's a bit tricky but worth it. I keep my masks right by the front door so that if anyone comes to the door, I can yell out "Wait a minute please" while I tie the mask on. Sometimes during the day I wear it hanging around my neck so I need to tie only the top tie if someone is at the door.

Because of the hearing aids, I don't have the masks that hook behind the ear. Those are probably easier to whip on and off.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much for sharing my post and for taking the time to research this Rose. We need as much scientifically valid info on these vaccines that we can get. We are purposed to go to our doctors anytime we take a new drug to ensure it is safe, so it's just a matter of the doctors having the right info. I think doctors like and need to be asked these questions. I'm open minded but cautious with the new vaccines. It will be a long while before healthy folks with Cerebral Palsy are on the "Get vaccinated now" list anyway I'm guessing, so I have time to see what the research by doctors turns up. I don't want it to be like the drugs on TV where 6 months later you see lawyers suing for liver and bladder damage etc. I'm hoping it turns out like a safe flu shot type thing. Disability doesn't know in statistics because people are nervous to disclose due to ableism or fear of experiencing ableism, at least partly.

True agate, this virus is less deadly.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member
    Blog Entries

2 doctors in NY got the vaccine. It's here...now we see if it works...
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This CDC Website seems to be giving out up-to-date information on COVID-19 and the vaccine:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

14. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Do your masks have a sturdy bit for the bridge of your nose? I've found that having that part snug against my nose bridge stops the fogging glasses. John has been experiencing with a variety of masks, because the loops sometimes aggravate the back of his ears. The ones I use, which I can't find any longer, are made specifically to protect from viruses, and while it is comfortable on his ears, he finds it too "thick." I just laughed and told him that was the point!

I think the death toll for the Spanish Flu being larger than the current COVID toll pertains to the lack of treatments available in 1918. The medicines we have now didn't exist then, like Tylenol or Advil to control fever and pain all the way to the "Cadillac" drugs given to DT, Chris Christie, Rudy G, etc.

They didn't have the large medical facilities we have now, with state of the art ERs and ICUs, or ventilators, or even oxygen concentrators. They didn't have Haz Mat suits and other PPE for medical providers. They didn't have the vast array of antibiotics we have now to treat pneumonia and other COVID-related infections, like sepsis, UTIs. They didn't have CT scans, MRIs, biopsies, the ability to test blood for everything imaginable and get the results back within an hour.

Today, we reached 300,000 COVID deaths, and that number would be significantly less, if the person responsible for serving us as a leader had been upfront and on the ball about managing the impending pandemic. Instead, he called it a hoax and no worse than the common cold. He shunned wearing a mask as did his followers ... hence ... we lead the world in cases and deaths.

After he contracted (purportedly) COVID, he received the Cadillac treatment and was released in 3 days. My question is this: Why isn't this drug being manufactured as fast or faster than the vaccine, when it apparently works effectively to stave off the virus? One answer is that it costs $10k. Well, so does one chemo infusion, but Jim got a ton of them. It's a pandemic, so what is the deal with the cost of the drug?!! Make a big batch of it and dole it out to all of the hospitals, so we can save lives! That Pharma company will still make a fortune off of it at a much reduced price, because COVID is spreading like a wildfire.

And why hasn't anyone in our government recommended that this drug be widely available in hospitals? It requires close observation, but that's what ICU is all about anyway.

If this pandemic had been handled appropriately from the start, the numbers here would be much lower. And around the globe. All we need to do is look at New Zealand. Granted it is a small island, but everyone on that island joined together to beat COVID, and now they are enjoying live concerts together.

I've watched some news today, and videos of the first vaccines given to nurses and doctors have been shown repeatedly. That is where they should begin, because these are people, who are exposed to it constantly every day. No matter how much discomfort we feel with our masks, they have to wear them all day for 12 hour shifts or more, plus change in and out of protective gear. I can relate to that on a much smaller scale, having been in ICU with my boys dozens of times, 12 hours a day for weeks and months with each stay.

I think we will learn more about the vaccine, once it has been given to more people. I think about the automatic inoculation of people in long term facilities and worry that one size doesn't fit all. If you're on a blood thinner, have an autoimmune disorder, or are otherwise compromised physically, it might have the potential to cause adverse reactions. Specifically, I'm thinking about Jeannie.

Electoral college votes were cast today. I pray for a better, brighter future for us all.

To All ~ Be safe, be well, and find a moment of peace and happiness every day.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Community Member

I already got an email from my neurologist and he is recommending that all his MS patients get the COVID-19 vaccine. He told me that I will be in Phase II, which starts February 21 in Massachusetts.

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ikoiko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I already got an email from my neurologist and he is recommending that all his MS patients get the COVID-19 vaccine. He told me that I will be in Phase II, which starts February 21 in Massachusetts.
    Thanks for this information. It is just what I was seeking. Do you know anything else about how you get set up for the shot?

I am getting rituxan tomorrow and hope to feel stronger immediately and get home before the snow starts! (Big storm coming to us). I worry about the infusion center but really need the rituxan. I think the pandemic situation has made me less anxious about being housebound by the snowstorm. What do you think? I think we will both be hit had by this storm.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast