Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I probably shouldn't have lifted that photo from your Profile without getting your OK on it, Brian. All along I thought you'd put it there because this place is getting known as a hangout for mother hens who worry about people if they're gone for too long.

Just let me know if you'd rather not have that image posted here and I'll remove it at once.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member RandomThought's Avatar

How gracious of you to offer. It's fine to have used it. I think the photo was leftover from my having talked about this wayward group of chickens that visited us for a few days years ago.

I've heard it is harder to get something off the internet than to remove pee from a swimming pool (not that I've even been in a position to attempt either).

Brian
    *another random thought *

Blog Entries

When I first saw the chickens there, quite by chance and a while ago, I simply assumed that you'd saved it from one of our "clucking hens" posts where such chicken photos have turned up--and that you'd done that for future reference, in case the clucking hens got too bad.

I should have paid more attention to that lawyer I mentioned in another post recently, the one who said "Never assume anything."

I'm afraid I'd forgotten about your own chickens. Raising chickens is an achievement that deserves to be mentioned in this thread anyway, IMO.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

5. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When I first saw the chickens there, quite by chance and a while ago, I simply assumed that you'd saved it from one of our "clucking hens" posts where such chicken photos have turned up--and that you'd done that for future reference, in case the clucking hens got too bad.

I should have paid more attention to that lawyer I mentioned in another post recently, the one who said "Never assume anything."

I'm afraid I'd forgotten about your own chickens. Raising chickens is an achievement that deserves to be mentioned in this thread anyway, IMO.
    1A. I love the construction of your first sentence, so elaborate, so detailed, and yet likely grammatically correct *admires your linguistic abilities*. My youngin is also using duolingo but in her case it is to teach herself Swedish; She is also a 3rd year Spanish student.

2B. While our "visitor chickens" were a fun interlude we have more recently had a shocking encounter with nature in my neighborhood.

Perhaps you have heard the term MURDER HORNETS in the news with a possible reference to the seemingly ongoing series of misfortune brought to us all in the year 2020 ?

More correctly they are called Asian Giant Hornets and grow to about the size of your little finger (1 1/2 to 2 inches long). In my neck of the woods we have been closely following the news of their presence with more than a passing interest.

Now, when I tell you this, it is possible that a particularly determined person could very closely determine my location and even possibly reveal my secret identity! (s known forum sleuth suspiciously* / *laughs heartily because he thinks he's so funny*).

The United State's first ever Asian Giant Hornet nest was located and eradicated from a neighbor of mine's back yard less than 1/8th mile away!!!

You heard me ! Murder Hornets live in my neighborhood. And worse? Several queens escaped the nest and will come out of hibernation in the spring to form more nests!!!

Are we scared? *inserts dismissive sound* We've seen worse...

Here is a link to an approximately 10 minute video of Washing State Agriculture Officials removing the nest using a combination of specialized suits to avoid the massive stingers, saran wrap to keep them contained, carbon dioxide to chill them into a docile state, and large vacuum cleaner to suck them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbIf...ature=youtu.be

Here is a shorter video of the same event if you are, like me, patience challenged:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twwVznP2mao

Just another day in 2020 around here...
    Last edited by RandomThought; 12-21-2020 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Adding 2nd link

Blog Entries

Brian, I promise not to concern myself with finding your location. If it should turn out to be anywhere near me, I might start worrying about murder hornets.

I had seen a TV news segment on murder hornets a while back but promptly put them out of my "mind" as too horrible to think about.

Glad you explained about the officials in specialized suits. I thought that aliens from outer space must have been brought in to get rid of the hornets.

This is an achievement on your part, Brian. You've given all of us a new worry that should take our minds off of COVID-19 and other worries we might have had.

There's nothing like a distraction to put your problems into perspective....

And you yourself can still be on the lookout for the escaped queens.
    Last edited by agate; 12-21-2020 at 11:36 AM.

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

I've enjoyed reading everyone's amazing facts and experiences!

Brian ~ I am far less concerned about Murder Hornets than I am about mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus, a threat we have every year in my neighborhood from Spring to Summer.

We had an annual problem with bees nesting under Jim's workshop (a Tuff Shed), and we had to have them terminated, which we loathed doing. Then, the exterminators (bee people) patched up entrance locations and used some kind of pheromones to deter them. The problem with bees can develop, if they become "Africanized." Jim was quite ill, when all of this transpired, so it was an unpleasant time for us. Our neighbors were patronizing and lacked compassion, which didn't help.

We are located under the Monarch butterfly migration, which is magnificent. But, they haven't been here for a long time, because they are dying off.

We need bees, even hornets, and butterflies. But we don't have a need for mosquitoes. WNV is similar to malaria. I'd rather risk a murderous hornet than malaria. But, that's just me ...

Our Planet needs our help. It really does.

Prayers for all to be safe ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Brian ~ I am far less concerned about Murder Hornets than I am about mosquitoes carrying West Nile Virus, a threat we have every year in my neighborhood from Spring to Summer.
    I can certainly understand why you have more concern about a nasty virus you face every year than a invasive species probably thousands of miles away which if local efforts succeed you will most likely never encounter.

I hope that officials in your area are working hard to stop the spread of mosquito borne disease.

Around here they are diligently taking steps to stop the Asian Giant Hornet invasion and that includes working with officials in neighboring Canada.

AGH sleigh.jpg

11. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Brian ~

Alas and alack, no, my community does nothing to stop mosquitoes and the WNV threat every year. They post warnings on our street light poles, which should just read: "They're Baaaccckkk! You know what not to do."

What not to do: pools of stagnant water. I am diligent about keeping the water in Michael's pond churning with a fountain and waterfall. I water my front yard 3 times a week, per guidelines for water conservation in this drought-ridden state. My neighbors water every morning for 30 minutes, which results in standing water. The common area sprinklers over spray, so we have puddles on the sidewalks.

Sometimes I just want to exclaim at my neighbors: "What's wrong with you? Aren't you afraid of WNV? Aren't you concerned that the state is constantly on fire? And those fires significantly reduce our air quality? And ... what is wrong with you?"

That is also how I react to people, who refuse to wear masks during this pandemic. For the greater good, the sake of our planet and all life forms, people need to get a whole truckload full of clues.

Oops! I apologize. I went off on a tangent! Your Christmas photo is very amusing, as long as they don't come to my house!

Now, back to "Amazing Facts and Experiences Of Me" ...

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

13. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Maybe people haven't got the word yet on stagnant water and mosquitoes??? Sometimes I get glimpses of neighbors' back yards here (if I look out a window on an upper floor) and am struck by how many backyard pools and ponds there are, none of them looking as if any water is being churned. (Shudder.)

I'm not eager to meet up with any murder hornets either. They are pretty big as hornets go--1.75 -2 inches long--and multiple stings can be fatal though one sting isn't. I'm sure they do helpful things like eating other insects but I really wouldn't want a bunch of them congregating nearby.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_giant_hornet

They're not always helpfully eating up unwanted insects either:

If they become established, it is claimed that the hornets "could decimate bee populations in the United States and establish such a deep presence that all hope for eradication could be lost." A "full-scale hunt" for the species by the WSDA is underway.
    Rose, I hope your Monarch butterflies will come back but I understand that they're endangered. It's so sad that species are being wiped out because too many humans are doing too many oversized harmful projects all over the globe.

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just wanted to say how much I am enjoying this thread. Interesting. Thanks to everyone for this gift!

P.s.
    I am in western MA and farmers around here are having problems with missing bees. Lots of papers written about the cause of devastated hives.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

17. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast