Tv / screen time and effects on brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tv / screen time and effects on brain

Hello all. I’m posting a link to a research summary which also has a link to the actual research paper. It talks about brain development in young children and “white matter.”

I’m not a scientist here. I’m not a neurologist or child behaviourist. I’m just a now nervous mom.

Yes, I was one of the moms out there that let her 1 year old watch tv. Above the recommended one hour a day? Yes. Guilty. And feeling very guilty. But what is done is done.

I wanted to ask from a neurological standpoint, to anyone who is qualified to answer or knows a thing or two about white matter and brain development:

As per the research paper, is the damage done reversible? If tv time is cut out, can the brain continue to develop and “catch up” on any short falls so to speak, due to prior tv watching? I’d never forgive myself if my little one had some kind of learning issues later on because I let her watch tv a little more than necessary. I plan to cut it out now for sure. But I’m anxious about any long term damage that cannot be undone.

I don’t want her to fall behind as this article claims is the likely outcome.

Comments? Perspective insights?

Here it is:
    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

((((((beenath)))))) ~

TO CHILD NEUROLOGY ON BRAINTALK!

None of us here are scientists, neurologists, or behaviorists either. I'm not sure that we're qualified to answer your question, so you should pose your question to your child's pediatrician.

The majority of us remaining here, who post regularly (or semi-regularly), are parents of adult children, who have grown up on this forum.

When my children were toddlers, Sesame Street premiered on TV. We watched it every weekday, as well as Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood, and Captain Kangaroo. Our TV was small, black and white, and had an antenna. I do know that their exposure to those programs helped them learn sounds and words. They had severe developmental disabilities, so I utilized those programs as learning tools for them.

Whether that exposure contributed to the progressive nature of their underlying condition, I have no idea. They lived to be 32 and 49 years old, and they watched TV all of those years.

Of course, now technology is more complicated. I strongly feel that we are exposed to a greater amount of electromagnetic field than we were 50 or even 20 years ago. That might explain why today's children, who watch too much TV or use various technical devices, are experiencing white brain matter issues.

The best thing you can do, in addition to discussing this with your daughter's pediatrician, is to limit screen time and follow the suggestions in the article. More one on one time with her, more creative activities, more reading to her, and teaching her the beauty of nature by being outside as much as possible.

The sad fact is that as technology progresses, children will need to learn how to use that technology to keep up with their peers. So, you'll have to determine how to keep her current without over stressing her brain. Parenting, with or without technology, is a balancing act.

Don't beat yourself up. You're on a new course now, and that will benefit your daughter. Please let us know your daughter's pediatrician's opinion.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

Comment

I'm not a scientist or parent. However I worked with kids. Unfortunately screen time is unavoidable during COVID19 and kids are not responding well to online school below certain ages. My general belief is that the younger the kid is the less they should use screens. My other general belief is in neuroplasticity which is the brain's ability to change. The brain is not fixed and immutable. The brain can be taught new patterns. So if your worried change some habits now but don't be guilty and don't be dogmatic about it i.e if the child has a favorite movie or video allow them to watch at decent times just to relax. I find a lot of kids have attention and learning problems just because they are not stimulated correctly academically and don't have a physical outlet to burn off energy. I think a kid being forced to sit at a desk for 8 hours, staying perfectly still, is just as harmful as TV if not more so, since kids learn by movement and actually doing an activity in most cases. Keep in mind it's different for people like me with a physical disability who need less movement. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by funnylegs4; 12-12-2020, 12:10 PM.
      Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
      My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

Comment

Working...
      X