Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome back to Parsi and any others dropping by here

Distinguished Community Member Jen's Solitude's Avatar

Hi Soul, I remember your unique username. I don't have any info on the Wahl's diet, but just wanted to say hello.
    DAR
    R/R 1993
    Draw close to God and he will draw close to you. - James 4:8

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Welcome back, soul! Good to see you back here!

I never tried the Wahls diet but have taken part in some discussions of it. Some years back she was claiming on her Website to have cured her MS, and that was a red flag. Nowadays she's not exactly saying she's cured it but pretty close:

https://terrywahls.com/diet/

There she is described:

She is also a patient with secondary progressive multiple sclerosis, which confined her to a tilt-recline wheelchair for four years. Dr. Wahls restored her health using a diet and lifestyle program she designed specifically for her brain and now pedals her bike to work each day.
    It's great if she's doing better, I think, but there's been no evidence that I know of to show that her diet (or any diet) has contributed to that improvement. And in her Introduction to her book she states:

I still have multiple sclerosis, but now I also have my life back.
    The claim to have found a cure pops up in the Amazon ad for her book, where one of the testimonials states:

Terry Wahls is a hero to many for her discovery that a nourishing ancestral diet can heal multiple sclerosis.
    If she had a found a cure, that would be big news.

WebMD offers an assessment of her diet:

https://www.webmd.com/multiple-sclerosis/wahl-diet-ms

As someone with SPMS and diet-controlled Type 2 diabetes, I keep an eye on news about diets and MS. Nobody has yet shown that any diet will help MS. There is considerable evidence that obesity can be a problem for people with MS, and so it's probably best not to eat too many fattening foods, and to follow a sensible diet that mainstream nutritionists recommend. I have doubts about Dr. Wahls's claims about her diet.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Soul, I posted to you on Cat Dancer's thread, not realizing you were on this one. It's nice to have you back. Tell us how you are and what you have been up to. Didn't you take Rebif early on or was that someone else?
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Hi Soul! I’ve never forgotten your risky maneuver of jumping off a train on the way to a doctor’s visit. That’s you, right?

I have read Dr Wahl’s book and watched many of her lectures but decided that it was not for me. I’ve been mostly stable for decades - I know many do not have the luxury of just taking a DMD like Copaxone.

Welcome back.
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 12-02-2020 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Changed “decade” to “decades”
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by soul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hello it's been a while I have been dealing with life the universe and everything, I am looking for some information on the Wahl's Diet, I know in the past many of us tried and believed in this diet
    As I said it's been a while, I believe I joined this board in the early 2000's, so yea I am back
    soul
    DX RR/MS 1989
    Welcome. I too can not speak to the diet you asked about. I remember researching lots of diets but that was many years ago. Unrelated to trying to control my MS I have been a vegetarian for 52 years. I am also an organic farmer so I eat a varied and healthy diet. What about the Whal diet attracts you?
    Last edited by Lazarus; 12-02-2020 at 04:10 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

10. The following 7 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Jumping off a train on the way to a doctor's visit???? I don't recall this but would like to know.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

It might work for some people with MS.I looke into it and decided I just couldnít eat that way.

I do theSwank Diet, it may not help but it canít hurt me and it is closer to my own personal diet anyway. (Low saturated fats).

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I heard about the Swank diet many years after having to make major changes in my diet when diabetes was diagnosed. It turns out I'd been eating a diet similar to the Swank diet but without meat, poultry or (usually) fish.

soul, just FYI, a number of people here have passed away in case you've been wondering. We've lost Pegakafarmgirl AKA Iowa Farm Girl (Peg), nuthatch (Joan), Salpalsally (Sally), Matt, Electric Joy AKA JTwin (Joy), Frog42 (Vicky), greymalkin (Janith) and probably others I've neglected to mention.
    Last edited by agate; 12-03-2020 at 05:30 PM.

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12