Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: In Search of a Travel/Portable Scooter

Distinguished Community Member Jen's Solitude's Avatar

Question In Search of a Travel/Portable Scooter

Hi Folks,

I am wondering if anyone has any experiences or suggestions for a lightweight portable scooter. We are thinking that I might be able to be more mobile, if I don't have to worry about walking and balance issues.

I have been researching and it seems as though the more information I find, the more confusing it is. I don't know if I need to find a show room, or just order on-line? Should I have white-glove set-up service, or will we be able to do it ourselves? Should I get a regular battery or the more costly one that seems to be more energy efficient?

I won't be using it regularly, as I don't get out much, but I would like to have something that can be stored in our SUV for those rare occasions I can or want to venture out.

Does anyone have any experiences, thoughts, or tips to share with me?

Much Appreciated,
    DAR
    R/R 1993
    So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles. (Matthew 6:34)

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Community Member

My friend has a 45 lbs electric wheelchair, not scooter, that a healthy adult can fold up in one piece and put in the trunk. An Uber driver can do it, too. I don't know the brand name.

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

I will ask my friend for the brand name.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I always had an Invacare 3 wheeled electric scooter. I got it in and out of my station wagon with what is called a suitcase ramp. My original one died and I tried to replace it with the exact same one. I got one with the same model number but the wheels were smaller and I got stuck when trying to ride on the farm or even in an inch of snow!

So, I too am looking for a scooter I can get in and out of my car. I always want to be able to go somewhere. The scooters I have are big and I use them to get around on my farm. I think SSusan may have gotten a scooter a couple of years ago. I will try to reach her to ask.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've used scooters only occasionally, mostly the ones that stores provide for customer use.

But I have a Drive rollator that has held up very well and in general I've heard good things about Drive mobility aids. So when I looked at scooters on Amazon, this one appealed to me.

https://smile.amazon.com/Drive-Medical-Sfscout4-Spitfire-Scooter/dp/B00GPGKN4G/ref=sr_1_34?
    dchild=1&keywords=foldable+scooter&qid=1605043317& s=hpc&sr=1-34

Though it weighs 95 lbs., if you read the comments, people are saying they can get it easily in and out of their vehicles, and I'm pretty sure you can take it apart and load/unload it in pieces.

It has a basket, which I would consider essential. Even if I wasn't going to be buying anything, I'd still have my handbag and would need some place to stash it or any other gear I was taking with me.

This one seems to hold up for only 9 miles and its speed is only 4.25mph though. Many of them will go 15mph.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Hi Dar,
    I do have a lot to share but tomorrow. F I will pull my scooter folder and then I can give you info:
    Way too tired to do it tonight.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jen's Solitude's Avatar

Hi Ikoiko, I did investigate wheelchairs but we decided to stick with scooters. Thanks very much for your input, it is much appreciated.

Laz, thanks for notifying Ssusan! I am looking forward to reading what she will post. i can see why you would need a heavy duty type scooter, if you use it for your farming responsibilities. Potholes in the parking lots will probably be my biggest challenge. lol

agate, I use Drive products too. I have their wheelchair and a rollator. I have looked at their scooters online as well. Thanks for the Amazon link. It is definitely a contender.

Hi Ssuan, great to see you! Take your time posting your info, I look forward to reading your recommendation.
    DAR
    R/R 1993
    So never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties. Each day has enough of its own troubles. (Matthew 6:34)

14. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I wrote a long reply and itís gone . Hadnít tinshed it. When I get home from buying new dishwasher .

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

My friend has the "Go Go Elite" by "Pride Mobility" brand. I have "EZ Rider" brand. I hope this helps. "EZ Rider" has shorter battery life.
    Mild Spastic Diplegia Cerebral Palsy and bad proprioception.
    My website for my original short films! http://cripvideoproductions.com/astrokeofendurance.php

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I have a Pride 4 wheel travel scooter. I bought it in 2007. I had just left my full time job. The private disability company paid for most of it. Anyway it weighs 78 lbs without the battery.
    The battery weighs 33 lbs.
    It goes 10 miles on 1 charge.
    The max speed is 4.5 mph

Off road it is not stable .
    Several years ago I was going through a field with tall grass and blew a fuse, it is not intended for off road or even dirt roads.

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast