Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: News of Jeanie

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

Thank you for informing me, as I didn't know. Nonetheless, I still believe that she, as well as all patients in a rehab, should have alternating pressure low air loss mattresses. They should also have a lift and decent wheelchairs. But, I live in a dream world, where people are given excellent care.

I join you in being afraid that Jeanie will be there for a long time. I hope that we are both wrong, but only if Jeanie has appropriate care to live safely in her home. It doesn't sound like there are any planning efforts being expended for her discharge.

Thankfully, she now has Medicaid. I know they are stingy with it in Florida, but it could be her ticket out of the rehab facility.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I talked to Jeanie today. She is doing alright, but seemed a little down about staying in there so long and a lack of progress. She can stand with the walker for 30 seconds. There has to be two people with her. She cannot transfer herself at that rate.

She is frustrated and I don't blame her. She has been able to try and stand since she saw the Doctor last month on the 23rd, but this is as far as she has gotten. I wish they could give her PT twice a day, but they come once a day and I guess with them having to go to the rooms to do it that is probably about all they can do.

When the people who are going to get vaccinated get the vaccine maybe they might be able to give her more PT.

They wanted some dresses brought from home and wanted her to dress everyday. She says she still has a catheter and a diaper, so she told them she was going to just stay in the hospital gown. I don't blame her.

Her daughter-in-law has been really good about bringing her little things that she needs. She leaves them at a desk up front. She says her daughter-in-law did most all the work to get Medicaid. So she has really stepped up to the plate I think. This is Jim's wife. I didn't realize it but they have been married for 40 years.

The boys still come once a week, usually on Sunday. They don't stay long because all they can do is look through the window and they are talking on their cell phones. Jim hasn't brought Lacy in awhile. Jeanie says she misses her terribly, but that she thought it was maybe confusing for her. She said Lacy probably couldn't recognize her voice over the phone and just seeing her through the window wasn't too good.

She asked about everyone. I told her everyone seemed to be doing about the same, but that Sunshine was having a bad time. I tried to explain about the baclofen pump and some of what is involved. But it still hasn't all jelled for me, so I didn't get too far into it.

She wants me to say MERRY CHRISTAMS TO EVERYONE!!
    Virginia

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thank you so much for the update on Jeanie. She is missed!

It sounds as if progress is slow but steady even though she's discouraged that it isn't faster. The idea about dressing every day might appeal to her more in a little while--and might be a way of increasing her optimism by reminding her of the tasks she did routinely at home. It could be a stepping stone towards going home, it seems to me.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Thank you for these updates, Virginia. In the back of my mind I worry about her house. I hope she will still have it. Does Medicaid allow for owning a house? I hope so.

It is troubling that she can only stand w help for such a short period but we know she’s a fighter.

Christmas is important to her so if you have an extra card please send it. Virginia has the address.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Ann, I think Medicaid does allow one to keep their house. I hope so too. I agree about the length of time she can stand being troubling. I was disappointed, but stayed optimistic while talking to her.

If she could wear her slacks she might come closer to wanting to dress, but due to the catheter and diaper she has to be in a dress. I don't own dresses anymore because I wear slacks all the time and I am quite sure Jeanie is the same way.
    Virginia

Blog Entries

Virginia ~

Thank you so much for sharing this update on Jeanie with us.

Her frustration is quite understandable. She would probably benefit from two PT visits/day, but it may be that Medicaid won't cover more than one visit. And, if she needs two people to help her stand, then that is more cost.

Muscles atrophy without exercise, so that is likely one reason why Jeanie can't stand longer than 30 seconds.

Many people with catheters and diapers wear slacks. She needs a leg bag strapped to her calf, which would likely need to be emptied more frequently than a foley bag on the side of the bed. That's more work for the aides. And what is the difference between a dress and a gown in that regard? I agree that Jeanie might as well stay in a gown.

It's good that she sees Andy and Jim every week, and I hope that lifts her spirits a bit. I believe that Lacy does recognize her voice. Andy and Jim could also bring along something from Jeanie's house, with Jeanie's smell on it, to hold Lacy in as Jeanie speaks to Lacy. Dogs are intelligent and intuitive. Lacy will get the idea quickly.

I'm also pleased that her daughter-in-law has been so helpful to her.

This has already been a long stay for Jeanie, and I pray that she will build up some strength and be able to return home someday, with home health care in place. Until then, I pray that she receives excellent care from people, who treat her with respect and dignity.

Thank you again, Virginia, for being our connection to Jeanie.

Love & Light,

Rose

Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you for the news about Jeanie Virginia . It breaks my heart that she is not receiving better care.

Why is she not being allowed to use a bedside commode. To have to have a catheter in her for such an extended time and a diaper is upsetting to me. Is it understaffedó- is that the problem? Is she too heavy for the staff to lift?

I wonder if there are ways to hep her strengthen th legs while in bed. Pushing her butt up inthe air strengthens her back, and legs, or woul that agggravate the broken leg?

Or putting a strap around the foot and pulling the leg agains it straight to put some pressure on the leg?

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sunshine ~

I'm going to answer your questions, based upon my experience with nursing facilities and rehabs.

They are understaffed chronically. The staff are underpaid. Medicare and Medicaid do not pay the full amount billed for these facilities or services. There is a large turnover rate in staff. Staff become inured to their elderly and sick patients realizing that they are probably never going to get better and be released or will die. And with reduced quality of care, that is exactly what happens.

As I mentioned in previous posts, this rehab should have at least one lift/hoist and several different types of slings, to safely transfer patients. We had/still have one which cost about $5,000 many years ago. It is the top of the line. This is a write-off for a rehab center. Why don't they have a lift?

I have long dreamed of beginning a nonprofit foundation to develop safe, loving rehab and long term care homes, staffed with well paid and skilled nurses, therapists, aides, and on call physicians, and state of the art equipment. For the extremely wealthy, those places exist. For the rest of us, they do not. We choose between which one is less awful than the other.

In the early 1990s, we were advocating against the takeover of the In Home Supportive Services (IHSS) program by a powerful nursing home chain. Their goal was to force people, who were living safely in their own homes with care paid through Medicaid, into their nursing facilities. We prevailed, but it was a difficult battle.

I strongly believe that in home care is preferable and less costly than out of home care. And, the rights, dignity, and comfort of the person receiving care is enhanced in a home environment. I know this for a fact.

At one time that was the objective. Then, greed reared its head again, and corporations won. They know the strain on families, who are caring for ailing loved ones without adequate support, so they feed off of that demographic, and their nursing/rehab facilities are always full.

Those are the hard, cold facts. It angers me that our efforts then have not resulted in a better situation for us now.

We just have to keep fighting for what we need and deserve.

Love & Light,

Rose

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, I will add that in Jeanie's case she cannot transfer to a bedside commode or get back in the bed without two people helping her. She is also incontinent which she has talked about on here many times. She is also over weight. These things are complicating her recovery in my opinion, though I do not say them to her. I try to remain optimistic but empathetic when talking to her.

If you recall, Jeanie fell a lot while at home. She called the EMTs by using her lifeline. They started bringing a hoist to get her up and at least two would come. She began to be afraid to use her own bedside commode. I remember one time she was using one at night and fell between the bed and the commode. When she broke her leg this time she was transferring from the commode to her scooter.

I have still wondered, in the back of my mind if her family even thinks they will bring her home or if they plan to leave her in a nursing home. I hope they will bring her home and if she gets strong enough I feel sure they will. They have not just taken her there and abandoned her, but it is a situation that is hard for everyone involved. I am glad the food is good where she is.
    Virginia

15. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Virginia,
    What is the Lifeline you mentioned? One of John’s doctors must have mentioned it to him because he commented on it. Thanks.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast