Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: November, 2020

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I've had a very trying day. Computer problems. I was even about to dump the whole thing, and start from scratch. But I stuck with it, and I think I have everything back, and working well again. I'm glad, I have so many apps saved, I would hate to lose them all.

So that's been my day. I did make a store run early, and am ready to fix something, and chill this evening.

Everyone have a great evening.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

Computer problems are so frustrating and stressful! I'm glad you got your issue sorted out. Do you back up your computer, so that if it crashes, you can retrieve everything on it, if you get another computer?

Hope you had a nice meal and are chilling now.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

3. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Thanks Rose. I don't even know how to "back up" my computer. I'm a computer dummy.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

5. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That, and we'd be wearing only black for our year of mourning. Because, after a year, we're all fine, right?
    No. After the year of wearing everything black, you might move to wearing a black armband for a specified time. Sometimes that would have been two years of wearing only black.

That's good news about your ducks. I think of them all in a row, standing at attention, probably right outside your house.

Howie, computer problems are among the more unsettling and nerve-wracking experiences in today's world, at least for me. Glad you got them fixed. These more modern computers do seem easier to fix than those in the good old days of Windows 3.1.

I'm so easily unglued by computer problems that I spend quite a lot of money each year just to keep them under control--including Norton AntiVirus, which also includes free data backup, and that may be what Rose is talking about.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

7. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Thumbs up

If my computer goes down for good, since I wouldn't have a computer to shop for another, I would call my brother or sister to get me another. The only problem with that, is they all seem to be a Windows 10, which I tried for a few days, and hated it.

The computer I have now is a Windows 8.1 which I love, and would hate to have to get used to another OS. I have a site saved that carries computer with 8.1, but they are getting rare. I may try to buy one now, and put it away.

Albert Einstein

9. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Howie, you have to give windows 10 a little more chance than that. Right at first I was ready to ditch mine, and go back to windows 7. I fussed and fussed and then I realized that windows 10 is actually very much like the one I had. Now I like it. I don't back up my computer either because I don't know how on the computer I currently have. I think I will ask my brother to show me. I have been meaning to do that, so thanks for mentioning it. They are over my way today and will be back by my house shortly.

They brought me groceries and they are going to get batteries for my smoke detector. I have been putting up with it chirping now since Sunday night. My nerves are shot. Day and night it chirps at me. I called CPI for a service call twice and they have not gotten back to me, so brother and sister-in-law are doing it.

Also, they are going to stop and have lunch while they are out to pick up the correct batteries. They are going to a chicken place and will bring me some chicken wings back for my dinner tonight.

A neighbor is trying to help me with my mail. I had a letter to the Postmaster that my Doctor wrote back in 2017. I took it by my P.O. and they gave me the telephone number of the Postmaster General in Raleigh. I called and she said they would start getting my mail to me. They did it one day. So my neighbor went to P.O. yesterday and again carried the letter and also talked to the Postman who delivers my mail. He told her he would take care of me. We will see.

They just came back and put batteries in my smoke detector. It is so quite in here. They brought my chicken and a biscuit. I think I will eat it for lunch instead of waiting until tonight. It really isn't enough for tonight.

I forgot to ask about backing up computer.

Thank God for the people in my life who help.
    Virginia

11. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Today DH took me to the store and we got an aluminum transport chair that folds up and th foot rests can be detached. Well under 20 lbs. Now women can take me doc appts.

Then he took me to the baclofen pump doc office so I could turn in a very comprehensive registration packet, sign releases so they can get records from a stubborn doc office about releasing them to me with just a faxed HIPAA., had to be in person .

The office seemed very competent and very pleasant. She said my was the most complete they ever got from a patient and that Mede me feel relieved because the front of the app clearly says, they will r/s you if you do not have a complete packet including doc notes etc.

Relieved

13. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Howie ~

To back up my iMac, I bought a "portable storage" device, Backup Plus SLIM, by Seagate. Funnylegs4 provided me with detailed instructions on how to use it. I ended up calling Seagate, because I couldn't figure it out, and a very nice woman walked me through it. That was 427 days ago, and I've forgotten everything I did. I have a window in the corner of my computer screen keeping track of how long it has been since I did the backup.

My iMac is 7 years old, and I've never updated the OS. I'm so far behind in the Mac technology that there are many things I can't do on line. If you get a "new" or refurbished PC with Windows 8.1, you may run into the same problem eventually. I have always had a Mac, so I don't even use Windows, which sounds like a good thing, after reading about everyone's experiences with it.

Also, I've never had to worry about a virus, so I don't use Norton (in response to agate), because Macs are protected internally.

Virginia ~

I'm so glad that your brother and SIL are helping you. I can imagine that your nerves were scrambled with that constant chirping, so I hope that you're enjoying the quiet now.

So sorry for your mail mix up. Very kind of your friend to intervene on your behalf, and I hope you have a resolution very soon.

agate ~

Yes, I thought about the black arm band, and also the black wreath on the front door. Nothing like advertising your grief, eh? Oh, and don't forget the "Poor" in front of "Widow." Poor woman. She's so fragile. Well, yes, we are, but we're also strong and determined, and I'd prefer sincere compassion over patronizing pity.

From my observations, widows fare better than widowers. Most of the men I've known are lost without their wives, particularly after a long marriage. Many times Jim told me that he hoped that he'd outlive me, so that he could take care of me, as I've been a caregiver all of my life.

I always told him that that wouldn't work out well for him, because I was basically in charge of everything, as many wives are. He wouldn't know where to find things, how to manage the finances and all of the legal stuff, which comes after a spouse's passing. When he became ill, he told me that I was right about this, and he apologized for leaving before me.

Sunshine ~

Your new wheels sound great, and I hope the chair provides you with plenty of comfort. Is the seat padded? Does it have removable parts?

Congratulations on turning in your registration packet to get the Baclofen pump situation started. Red Tape: All t's crossed, and all i's dotted.

Sending love, prayers, healing, positive energy and extra hugs to all ~

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Today DH took me to the store and we got an aluminum transport chair that folds up and th foot rests can be detached. Well under 20 lbs. Now women can take me doc appts.

Then he took me to the baclofen pump doc office so I could turn in a very comprehensive registration packet, sign releases so they can get records from a stubborn doc office about releasing them to me with just a faxed HIPAA., had to be in person .

The office seemed very competent and very pleasant. She said my was the most complete they ever got from a patient and that Mede me feel relieved because the front of the app clearly says, they will r/s you if you do not have a complete packet including doc notes etc.

Relieved
    Sounds as if you're about to win the paperwork award! Congratulations on getting through that maze.

R/s = reschedule, I think?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I thought R/s meant Rub Sam. At least that's what she told me.
    Last edited by Howie; 11-11-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Albert Einstein

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast