Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: October chitchat

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I was about to ask the same question. I think this board was quiet for an entire day yesterday except for Tom Cat's message, posted late last night.
    Last edited by agate; 10-26-2020 at 09:40 AM.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I was here, but I saw it was so quiet, I decided not say anything.

I went to the ATM and store today, but it was hard to get motivated to make the effort. But a mug of coffee, and I got dressed and went. I'm glad I did.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I’m here. :-)

I’ve been planting garlic and putting all of the terracotta pots away. Quite a lot of physical work but it has to get finished this week as it’s going down to 29F Friday or Saturday night.

And I’ve been cooking and doing laundry.

Yesterday we went to the farm and got two Delicata squash, Rome apples, Bartlett pears, a red pear, beets w their greens, Watermelon radish (one big one), Banana peppers and spinach. Total spent was 20.06. Very happy.

Now it’s time for tea and a heating pad for my back.

Have a good evening - don’t watch the news.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Well, I have been going through some anxiety with family since Thursday. Got word that oldest Nephew, son of my brother who lives in South Carolina was going to have two arteries bypassed, but then they did four arteries. I was sorry to hear it, but felt he would be fine. He has been a hard working, healthy man who is 57 years old. They took him off the respirator fairly quickly Friday. However, that was when it all went downhill. They had to put in tubes to get blood and fluid out of his lungs. We kind of thought that was taken care of, but his heart rate went so high and stayed there. I think it was 170. They were considering putting in a pace maker, but finally decided to shock his heart, so they put him back to sleep. That was done late yesterday. As of now it seems to have worked and the text have slowed down.

Yesterday afternoon I cooked some pot roast that had been cut into small cubes for stew beef along with an onion, then I added potatoes and carrots. It was so good and I have enough left for tonight. I am looking forward to it. I eat much more of the potatoes and carrots than I do the meat, but the meat along with the onion flavors it, and I do eat a little of the meat.

Glad to see Howie and Ann are still around. It sounds like both of you have been busy today. Ann, how do you prepare Delicato squash?

I will try to take Ann's advice and only peek at a little news. I am afraid I will miss something if I don't watch any at all. When I think of watching news, I think of my Dad. He read two newspapers a day and always watched the evening news. There wasn't any cable back then. That's how I grew up.
    Last edited by Virginia; 10-26-2020 at 02:18 PM.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Virginia, we cook most squash the same way. We cut it in half, Save The Seeds, and stuff the two halves. Usually we use bread crumbs, diced onions and Romano cheese. When we have mushrooms, we add them to the mix. We bake these in the toaster oven at 350 until fork tender.

Also, clean the seeds. Bake them and eat them or let them dry and put them in a clean envelope. Label with what you know. Store out of sun in a cool, dry place. Plant a few if you can or give them away. This year seeds sold out quickly.

ANN (not watching the news)
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Yesterday, I posted on Child Neurology, then ate dinner while watching the World Series. So, I missed posting here.

Today, we had cool Santa Ana winds with gusts up to 50 mph in some areas. A wildfire broke out about 35 miles from me, but with the fire smell and ash here, it seems much closer. I was worried about my uncle and aunt, and her parents, who live in proximity to this new fire, but my aunt said that they were safe for now. About 60,000 residents have been evacuated.

In various parts of the county, power has been turned off, with concerns about trees and palm tree fronds flying into power lines causing a spark and more fires. Thankfully, the winds in my area have calmed, and our gusts were in the 14-20 mph range.

John chauffeured me today to run some errands. He just really doesn't want me to drive the van anymore. It is sweet that he is so protective of me, but I told him that I need to continue driving, so that I can be independent and not forget how to drive. We have a few things, which we need to do together in the next couple of weeks, so he'll be driving me on those occasions.

I might tease him sometime and climb in the back seat, "Okay, movie update: 'Driving Miss Rosey.'"

Or, I could pretend that he's an Uber driver and ask through the window, "Are you John? Where's your Uber sticker?"

We were only together for an hour, but we covered a million topics, remembering Jim and Jon, his friends, my friends, his family, politics, and we laughed. We always laugh when we're together. It's healing.

Howie ~

I gather that your coffee maker is working well, which is great! Good for you for going out into the world. I dread it too, but afterwards, I feel like I accomplished something. So, I hear ya! Remember to ask your brother for the Picard DVD the next time you chat with him. You deserve some new stories to watch!

Virginia ~

My prayers are with your nephew and brother and family. That sounds quite scary, and I do hope that your nephew remains stable and recovers fully.

I remember the days of beef stew, and it was always a comforting, warming meal during inclement weather. I'm glad that you made this for yourself. I wish that I had the same inclination.

Like you, I'm a nervous wreck, so I do watch a touch of news here and there during the day. We have 8 more days of campaigning, and then the superspreaders can stop infecting everyone. Hopefully, COVID cases will decline over a couple of months.

There are a record number of early voters in this election, and voters are standing in line to vote in person for 8 or more hours. That is dedication.

I checked on line to make sure my ballot was received, and it was, the day after I sent it, and it has been "counted."

Our votes (not who or what we voted for) are public information. I received a pamphlet showing my voting record since 2012. It was good to know that my vote had been recorded in those years.

Please keep us informed on your nephew's progress.

ANN~

Now, I'm ready to hear what you'll be making with all of those treasures! I'm imagining your kitchen smelling delicious!

My best friend is my heating pad. I hope that yours has given you relief from your strenuous day.

Agate ~

How are your wrist and shoulder? Thank you for posting in Tom Cat's thread. I will reply there eventually.

To All ~

Healing, positive energy, and prayers for strength and well being for you and your loved ones. Stay strong, be safe, and don't overdo anything.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rose, my wrist and shoulder are considerably better. I need fewer carefully positioned pillows when I lie down. In the last couple of days the knuckles of my right hand have been inflamed, sore, and stiff due to arthritis. They do that sometimes but they do calm down over time.

Virginia, I hope you'll get better news about your nephew soon.

I seem unable to resist looking at the news.

This talk about delicious food reminds me of a movie I just finished watching called "I Wish." There's a lot of eating in it--especially a Japanese treat called karukan cake.

I didn't know what it was but it sounds interesting. I don't think I've ever had a Japanese yam:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karukan
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

The Japanese Karukan sounds interesting. However, right now I am thinking about the squash that Ann makes. I am going to write that recipe down and try it for sure.

Ann, when there is a day that you are not so busy maybe you could think about putting that recipe on "Cooking with Cat" thread. I forget everything and I will need to look it up. When I do it will be easy to find if it is on that thread.
    Virginia

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Well, here I am, at almost 5PM in the afternoon having to wake everyone up again!!

What is wrong with all you people lately?

My brother and sister-in-law stopped by this morning to bring me a few groceries and a new electric can opener. I have been having a hard time getting some cans opened. I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks like a nice one. Other than that I washed my linens - just because it is Tuesday and I try to do it on Tuesday. I now have to go make my bed. That's the part I don't like doing. Pulling that fitted sheet tight over the mattress tires me out.

I hope all of you are having a good day. That is about all I have done. We have not heard anything about my Nephew today, but I guess that saying of no new is good news is true. I sure hope so.

Oh, I did pick up one piece of news. My youngest sister-in-law's uncle who is 80 has had COVID. He was in the hospital on a respirator and my youngest brother and I were talking about how unlikely he was to come out of it. Well, he did. He was on a respirator for about 5 to 6 days. They were able to get him off and now he is home doing well. Amazing at that age.
    Virginia

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Virginia, I am ALWAYS here, but when it's been quiet like it has been lately, I just won't be the first to post.

Today, I did nothing all day which is the norm for me lately. But tomorrow, I have a doctors appointment. No problems, it's just to get my scripts refilled. Then I'm done for the year.

And next month is right around the corner. Then in December, I'm the birthday boy, then Christmas. THEN, the New Year is here. WOW, 2021. It seems like a date in a sci-fi movie.

Everyone have a pleasant evening, and WAKE UP!!!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

20. The following user says "thanks"

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast