Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: October chitchat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I had to order a lamp today from Amazon. It's the one beside the bed, and the old one just quit working. I knew it was getting worn out. It was getting tricky turning it on. The new lamp gets here Saturday. I'll try fixing the old one some time soon, but not today.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

2. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I talked to Jeanie again. Things are not going too good overall. I feel so sorry for her. They have not done the surgery they need to do to replace the screws. They did not bother to send any transportation for her and she can't get in touch with the Doctor. Andy has got to have hip replacement soon, so that kind of puts him out of the picture for awhile.

Jim apparently cannot take off work to go to the Doctor's office. She says they have all called and there has been no response from the Doctor. He just doesn't return the calls. She is going to ask Jim's wife to go to the Doctor's office to see what is going on.

She is getting stronger overall with the PT, but she cannot put any weight on the leg that needs surgery. I asked her about a patient advocate becoming involved. I would think that place she is in would have one. She said they did and she talked to her and got her to call the Doctor's office, but even she has not had a reply.

What I didn't want to bring up, but I know she is aware of, is that normally I thought you only get 90 days in a rehab. If true she has one more month in there. What then?

I have promised to keep in touch. The surgery cannot take place before next week at the earliest, because of the week-end. So, Jeanie is just kind of there and that is it.

She is asking for prayers. I told her she is very much missed. Right now, and it could have just been a bad day, but she feels like she has kind of fallen through the cracks. She is not getting the attention she was getting in the beginning. She says her needs are not as great as some others in there, so they have to spend their time with them. However, the food is still good and the physical therapist is good.

As I said, part of this may be just an off day like we all have. I told her she might want to think about trying to find out something through some kind of Eldercare or whatever they have in that area that represents seniors. It would be hard to do while you are confined to a bed and do not have a computer to look up telephone numbers. Seems like that is something Jim's wife could find out for her and give her the information, but obviously I didn't say that.

She has stopped getting up in the wheelchair, which I did not say anything, but I was sorry to hear. She said they had almost dropped her and it scared her. I can absolutely understand that. However, just laying there in the bed ALL the time with no break even to go to PT would be depressing. The Therapist comes to her room now.

That is about it.
    Virginia

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

That is so sad, Virginia--though I think it probably cheered her up just to hear from you. Thank you on behalf of all of us!

Could someone there line Jeanie up with a personal care helper who could transport her to/from the surgery location? She might need to pay for that person--I don't know. Or why couldn't the rehab place provide an ambulance or some other appropriate transportation under the circumstances?

I wonder if there's any chance she could get along without the surgery but it sounds as if it's essential for her to walk at all.

I hope the place has an ombudsman or advocate who will step in. Soon.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, your thinking is kind of like mine. She is saying that they didn't send anyone for her, but wasn't it her responsibility to see that she had transportation? She did say that she didn't want to call an ambulance because of the cost to her.

That was the one thing I didn't understand - did the Doctor have it scheduled and Jeanie didn't show up, or is there something that I am missing? She has not talked, nor have her sons talked, to the Doctor since August.

I say what I feel I can, but it is like Ann said about her Mom once, Jeanie is of sound mind and she knows the medical field. Therefore, I am hesitant to say much and most especially since she has family there.

I did hang up feeling down for her. I felt so helpless because there was nothing I could do. She said she felt helpless.
    Virginia

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree that there are some missing pieces to the story. She probably just neglected to include them or may have thought she'd mentioned those parts before.

It's so easy to become confused in a situation like that, where everything is different and you never know what they'll be doing to you next. But since she probably is apt to feel disoriented, I hope someone has a handle on the situation and will see to it that she gets to her surgery.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Community Member

I do feel very bad for Jeanie. I was in a similar situation once, where I was in a rehab clinic for a month following surgery. When I needed to go back to the hospital to see my surgeon for an appointment, I can't remember who arranged it. I am pretty sure that I didn't, because I was pretty out of it. I think the the rehab clinic must have arranged transportation. It all went very smoothly. My mom was with me, so maybe she had a hand in it.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Community Member

P.S. I think these rehab places have transporting patients back and forth to doctors appointments down to a science.

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you for calling Jeanie again, Virginia. I think about her. It’s very worrisome that she ids not getting out of bed at all. That’s bad.

I hope she hasn’t given up.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I talked to Jeanie again. Things are not going too good overall. I feel so sorry for her. They have not done the surgery they need to do to replace the screws. They did not bother to send any transportation for her and she can't get in touch with the Doctor. Andy has got to have hip replacement soon, so that kind of puts him out of the picture for awhile.

Jim apparently cannot take off work to go to the Doctor's office. She says they have all called and there has been no response from the Doctor. He just doesn't return the calls. She is going to ask Jim's wife to go to the Doctor's office to see what is going on.

She is getting stronger overall with the PT, but she cannot put any weight on the leg that needs surgery. I asked her about a patient advocate becoming involved. I would think that place she is in would have one. She said they did and she talked to her and got her to call the Doctor's office, but even she has not had a reply.

What I didn't want to bring up, but I know she is aware of, is that normally I thought you only get 90 days in a rehab. If true she has one more month in there. What then?

I have promised to keep in touch. The surgery cannot take place before next week at the earliest, because of the week-end. So, Jeanie is just kind of there and that is it.

She is asking for prayers. I told her she is very much missed. Right now, and it could have just been a bad day, but she feels like she has kind of fallen through the cracks. She is not getting the attention she was getting in the beginning. She says her needs are not as great as some others in there, so they have to spend their time with them. However, the food is still good and the physical therapist is good.

As I said, part of this may be just an off day like we all have. I told her she might want to think about trying to find out something through some kind of Eldercare or whatever they have in that area that represents seniors. It would be hard to do while you are confined to a bed and do not have a computer to look up telephone numbers. Seems like that is something Jim's wife could find out for her and give her the information, but obviously I didn't say that.

She has stopped getting up in the wheelchair, which I did not say anything, but I was sorry to hear. She said they had almost dropped her and it scared her. I can absolutely understand that. However, just laying there in the bed ALL the time with no break even to go to PT would be depressing. The Therapist comes to her room now.

That is about it.
    Thank you for telling us about Jeanie.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ikoiko View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    P.S. I think these rehab places have transporting patients back and forth to doctors appointments down to a science.
    Yes. I think so also.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast