Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Any tricks, devices to get off the floor if you falll down and are unhurt.

Distinguished Community Member

Default Any tricks, devices to get off the floor if you falll down and are unhurt.

Because of SPS, my shins will spasm if I get on teh floor and try to get up. I am looking for a device that might do the trick. I have grab bars, but I cannot reach them from the floor. Something where all I have to do is use my arms.

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've found that I need to stay strictly off the floor unless I'm sure there's a stable piece of furniture nearby that I can hoist myself up on because I won't be getting up unless there is. I test the situation before I even try kneeling on the floor. But if you fall and find yourself on the floor without anything nearby, you do have a much bigger problem. Then you might want to roll over to somewhere where there will be a sturdy piece of furniture or counter you can use for assistance.

I don't know why I can't get up but I can't. Something I learned in PT does help but getting it right might take several tries. You put one knee forward so that foot is flat on the floor ahead of you, and then you try to get up by leaning into that leg. It's hard to describe. I usually have to try this more than once if I'm on my knees and trying to get up. Just where I place my legs matters--an inch or two one way or the other can make a difference in whether I can get up.

This video shows an exercise that pretty much includes the method I'm talking about. I can't do it without hanging onto something but maybe, as she says in the video, it's possible to exercise your way into stronger legs:

MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

Thank you agate. I will view the video later this morning after my chores.

5. The following 4 users say "thanks"

i slept on the floor for years from 1987 to2016 on and off especially 1999 to 2009
    "Here's an unpopular opinion: I'm actually not at all concerned about innocent men losing their jobs over false sexual assault/harassment allegations. Sorry. If some innocent men's reputations have to take a hit in the process of undoing the patriarchy, that is a price I am absolutely willing to pay." Teen Vogue writer Emily Lindin

7. The following 3 users say "thanks"

For years I got up using the above method, but taking it a step further. I bent over, put my hands in front of me and pushed with the leg that was behind me and came up. I have not been able to do that in a number of years. I absolutely cannot get up unless I am close to something that I can put my hands or arms on and push up. My legs have gotten much weaker since I was able to get up without using something to help me. The method I used when I could do that was taught to me by a yoga instructor.
    Virginia

9. The following 6 users say "thanks"

i have had to call for help more than once. no shame in that. but one year i bought 2 very large plant holders on wheels. sturdy metal things. i have had to spend the night onfloor myself because i did not happen to have my cell phone in my pocket and was too far away to get to it. no amount of yelling would wake my husband so i was on the floor in winter until luckily he woke up around 9 am. these days it might be 1:30 pm! but i spotted that plant roller and managed to get myself onto it, then i rolled myself by pushing with my arms to the back door. once i got the door open, all i had to do was sling my legs down the steps and hold onto two handles, one on each side of the door, and stand up. i had hubby put those handle there years ago so i could hold onto either side while entering our house thru back door. one step up but still risky for me. i am getting weaker as i age so i know it will come back to calling someone soon. That is what my kinda large sister in law had to do. even after calling an ambulance, the 2 people who arrived were women and could not lift her. my family, myself included have been in volunteer fire department for years. my hubby was chief for years and my brother, his nephews my cousins etc all belonged and we all were good friends as well. so they call on the fire department and got her to town. unfortunately they had to send her to a larger city and she died. but hey, they responded. good luck all.

11. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Joy, I’m glad you found ways to deal with the weakness in your legs. Thank you for posting here.

I am sorry you lost your SIL.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

13. The following 5 users say "thanks"

[B]thank you Ann. this idiopathic pheripheral neuropathy plus all my osteoarthic and fibromyalgia has deadened just about all. then when i get retested i find out, nope it can rob me of more still yet. But hey i am doing pretty good. i may have to use 2 canes if i try to walk (i use a powerchair for most of the time) but it can keep killing off my nerves. I have about realised that will be my undoing, it robbing me of all my muscles. but hey I still try until my back pain gets the best of me so i feel fortunate of that. i dread if I live so long that i cannot help transfer myself from chair to bed, etc. even short spaces to move are good.[B]

15. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Thank you Joy for posting here and telling us about your PN and how you are managing.
    Virginia

17. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Joy)))))) ~

Your perseverance, strength and courage continues to inspire me.

Thank you to you and your family for volunteering as fire fighters. I have the greatest respect for fire fighters, and your service to your community is to be honored and treasured.

I'm so very sorry for your loss of your Sister-in-Law.

Sending prayers, healing, positive energy your way ~ stay strong and be well.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

19. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast