Thread: Pedometer question

Distinguished Community Member

Default Pedometer question

I would like to be able to roughly count my steps as an incentive.

My apple iwatch is supposed to do that, but all I can see is other aspects like heart rate, time moving etc.

Those of you who have or had a pedometer, could you post a link to the one you got? Am guessing itís on amazon? Maybe not?
    I wont hold you responsible if it seems like itís way way off. Approximation is all I am after, not precision.

This would mean a lot to me.

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seems a shame to invest in another gadget if the watch is supposed to record your steps. I don't know anything about the Apple watch but it looks as if it needs to be coordinated with an iPhone for the pedometer to work--? I found something about it by doing a Google search for "apple watch and pedometer." But you've probably already tried everything and nothing made it happen.

Here are two pedometers I've been using--neither one of them is perfect, and a lot seems to depend on just where you place it each day.

The most recent one--I'm not sure about whether this will work at all well. So far, it's had its good days and its bad days:

I've had this one a few years but use it just as a backup, to compare with the other one. It's usually not working well any more but did fairly well for quite a while:

https://smile.amazon.com/3DFitBud-Co...9157116&sr=8-3
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 2 users say "thanks"

SOLD!
    I just bought the FitBud you recommended.
    They say you can wear it on your hip, or as a lanyard, or in your pocket. WTH? I though you strap it to a leg or ankle
    How does it measure steps?

Which position seems the most reliable to you?

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

I'm still learning about pedometers but there are differences among them. There are some that are meant to be worn on the ankle but I haven't tried that kind.

So far as I can figure out, the pedometers I know about are supposed to be close to the hipbone, though sometimes I've heard that they should be in line with the knee.

Clipped to the waistband seems to be the preferred spot for them (in line with the knee) but the ones I've tried tend to drop off, and so I've settled for the pants pocket. Then I try not to be too discouraged when some days the pedometer isn't recording accurately at all. I chalk it up to the type of pants I was wearing, or the fabric. So long as it sort-of works most of the time, I try to be happy and not expect too much of it.

Finding out that most people are thrilled if a pedometer lasts a couple of years was an eye-opener for me. I'd have expected it to last at least 10 years. I whittled down my expectations of pedometers when I found that out.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

I'm glad you found a pedometer, which I hope will meet your needs. I hesitated suggesting my pedometer, because it has additional information that you may not want or need.

I wear mine in my jacket pocket, and it is consistent in its readings after my walks. I stop to check it half way, then when I get home.

I never thought about placement, as you mentioned, agate, so I may try putting it in my pants pocket or clip it to my waistband. I'll see if the results are different.

I do know that I have not changed my weight on the pedometer, but I don't know whether that matters.

I don't count steps. I count miles. In my case, it varies from 2/3 - 3/4 mile, depending upon my route. My pedometer is always right on the mark in both cases.

I'll be interested to read how this works out for you, Sunshine.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

10. The following 2 users say "thanks"

I remember that Peter has had several that he had to measure his stride and input that somewhere in order for it to be accurate.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

This latest pedometer I have has the stride input option too. It was more accurate after I'd entered the stride.

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"