Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: September 2020: Keep on Moving

Distinguished Community Member

Default September 2020: Keep on Moving

MS creates some real challenges to keep on moving. It helps to inspire each other on how to find ways to move.

Did you stretch in your bed, swing your arms, roll side to side today? Or perhaps you did housework? Or exercised in a pool? Tracked your count of steps? Chased your cat around the home? Pushed the wheelchair wheels with your arms at the store? Post them here and we can support and egg each other on.

REMEMBER: this is a keep on moving thread, not keep on exercising! Any moving is important— it doesnt have to be “exercise”! Even Science proves thaT.

Rabbit Rabbit

2. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm breaking in another new pedometer while using one of my older ones in the other pocket, for comparison. The one I'd been using just wasn't working.

After reading quite a few reviews of pedometers on Amazon, I noticed that pedometers aren't expected to last very long--a couple of years.

The instructions for this new one, which is a lot like others I've had, state that wherever you place it, it should be near your thighbone. That was news to me. It's really meant to be clipped to the waistband but I've been putting it in my pocket.

It's kind of silly but I find that referring to it during the day and noticing that I haven't done very many steps so far gives me the incentive to do more walking even if I'm just going up and down the hall. Lately the weather has been so nice that I just pop outside with my rollator and walk in the parking lot where there are some nice trees and the occasional stray cat.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Agate, when Peter used a pedometer (I think from his insurance company) he often went out in the evening to put more steps on it.

The next to last day of vacation we went to another ocean side beach with a plowed access down the dune to the beach. Think cliff and you’ll have a good idea how high it was. No problem going down but I had to stop and just sit in the sand twice on the way up. Peter would have helped but he was carrying everything.

I give myself ten points and a star for that.

Yesterday and today have been bend and stretch days. Unpacking, laundry, wiping down the groceries yesterday. I slept great. Today was also pruning the garden and tying up tomatoes. A happy chore.

It’s good to see Mr Chip.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I swam yesterday and today 1/2 miles each. I chopped up onion and mushroom to prep for tomorrow’s lasagna. I made the salad for tonight to complement a shrimp dish I made two days ago. Done and done. Resting up for afternoon medical appt at radiology. Crossing fingers.

Which pedometer do you recommend? I would like to try one.

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Sunshine, you describe such yummy meals!

I can't recommend any pedometer in particular. I've been choosing low-priced ones that have good ratings and reviews but so far I'm underwhelmed by all that I've tried. Maybe no pedometer is always accurate, and I still have to find that out.

I've been sticking with the simplest possible pedometers (which are also the least expensive) because I don't have much patience with tinkering with settings on gadgets. There are pedometers that will tell you your calories burned, distance traveled, and many other bits of information. I just want to know how many steps I've been taking.

ANN, I tend to walk in the evening too--after I've realized I haven't yet racked up enough steps for the day. Also in the evening it's cooler, particularly now that the days are shorter. It's very pleasantly shady in the parking lot here by 6 PM.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Don't know that this counts as exercise, but I vacuumed for over an hour today. I took my recliner and turned it over on it's side, laying on the floor and vacuumed under it. Then of course I had to get it back up and in place. Then I mopped the kitchen and my master bath. Then I made vegetable soup.

My back is killing me. I am going to read for awhile and go to bed. When COVID is over I am GOING TO HAVE SOMEONE HELP ME IN MY HOUSE! It is too much for me. I have never minded work, but then I have never been this old and try to do some of this stuff. A lot is being let go that needs doing and that concerns me.
    That's my rant for tonight.
    Virginia

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Virginia, I must have forgotten something. Didn't you have someone coming regularly to help? Or was she not working out--not showing up when scheduled?

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Agate, I haven't had anyone to help me since either late Feb or early March due to COVID. It is too dangerous to have anyone in the house that long.
    Virginia

16. The following user says "thanks"

Blog Entries

Maybe the rules are different there but here there are lots of residents who have regular helpers, and those helpers are still coming in. They wear masks of course, and the people they're working for wear masks if there's no medical reason why they shouldn't.

Those helpers are among the very few people still allowed in this building.

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

There is nothing that states that I cannot have anyone I want come in, but it would be very hot to work for 4 to 6 hours in a mask. Also, my lady Laura is from Mexico. She is an American citizen, but her Mother and several of her family live in Mexico and she goes a lot to see them. She also has lots of family here and church friends and they get together and have fun all the time. She is in a weird situation, which I personally think she probably should get out of. She and her husband have been separated for probably 3 years or a little more. He runs around on her. They have a daughter and in telling me a lot of what goes on she says she allows it because of her daughter. He sleeps at some other woman's house part of the time and at Laura's house quite a lot. She says not with her. Anyway, there is just a lot going on with Laura and I am scared to have her in my house at this time. COVID in N.C. is high.

I told one of my brothers that my back was hurting and that I was going to have to get some help and he said well, not now.
    Virginia

20. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast