Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: September Chit/Chat

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

The raccoon lady. They seem to be totally at ease around you.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Thanks Jingle, can't believe you are feeding skunks and racoons. I would be running in the opposite direction. Anytime you would like to share pictures with us please do. We love pictures on here.

Edited to add: Agate, I hope everything remains alright with you. Rose, I also hope things are alright in your area. Just keep John on speed dial.
    Last edited by Virginia; 09-14-2020 at 01:21 PM.
    Virginia

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

We got possums, and they donít worry me. We also have armadillos that carry Leprosy but they stay away.
    Raccoons , and bats are notorious for carrying rabies. I would steer clear of them.

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Such intrepid souls around here! That raccoon eating right out of her hand!

The raccoons I've seen around here are considerably bigger than that one but I'm not trying to claim that my raccoon can beat your raccoon or even your armadillo. But here they get positively rolypoly.

Maybe they're overweight because people are feeding them. There are people feeding them and even feeding the odd coyote.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Fires

At dawn this morning, I turned on the local news to learn that the Climate Denier in Chief was visiting California. I was making my orange juice, looking out the kitchen window at the rising sun. It looked enormous and so close to the Earth, a brilliant orange in a smoky sky.

When I heard this news, I felt my blood pressure rise with the sun. "We don't want you here! We don't need you here! Go away!" Deja vu 2018. "Sweep the forest floors."

Later in the day, I checked the news again, and there he was spewing his uninformed garbage. After I heard him say "forest management" five times, I turned off the TV.

Much of the land on fire is federal land. So, why doesn't he implement "forest management?" Department of the Interior, please.

He flew here after a huge rally with unmasked screaming supporters, but he said, "I'm okay. I'm not worried about getting it, because the stage is far away from people."

Nearly 200,000 people have died, but it's all about him.

What are the odds that that rally becomes a "superspreader"?

On Possums and Other Wildlife

Jingle, there is no way that I would feed or get close to skunks or raccoons. Is your last name Doolittle? Or Irwin?

As agate said, raccoons have very sharp claws, and Sunshine pointed out that they can carry rabies. Scary stuff there.

However, possums, while they can also carry diseases are not aggressive. If they fear impending danger, they play dead. They are more afraid of us than we are of them, I think.

My 17 year old feral stray cat, one of many litters her mom dropped off in my backyard, survived outside where she was the Queen of the garden. She knew what was out there, and she remained inside the yard. I kept the first of her two brothers, until they vanished. We have coyotes here. The rest of her kittens I gave to a cat shelter to find them homes and donated money, food and cat toys to help them.

Canoe ate outside, and she would leave part of her meal for the possum babies. Canoe was spayed, but she still had a Motherly instinct. I feared that she would pick up some disease from them, but she lived 17 years. The last 11 of those years she spent with our stray adopted cocker spaniel, Bonnie. They became very close friends. But with Bonnie around, the possums didn't come back.

I can't recall whether it was last year or the year before, as time just melds together into a giant lump sometimes. But, I saw something on the deck in front of Jim's workshop from the bedroom window. When I went out to check, it was a deceased possum. I called a company to come pick it up, and the man, who arrived was so disheveled. I thought, "Well, look what he does for a living ..."

This is what I have long-termed, "Nature in your face."

Cars and the Real Problem

Improvements have been made in emissions on cars, and we do have electric cars now. I have to have a smog test on my old van every other year. So, I don't think that cars are the major contributors now to our pollution and climate change.

Race cars may be in a different category. I don't know. Howie?

Our reliance on fossil fuels, our constant battering of Earth with drilling, digging, fracking, building. The plastic in our oceans and huge cargo containers. Nuclear power. The bombs we've dropped everywhere in war, in testing.

What we have now is the accumulation of destructive things we have done to Earth.

COVID purportedly came from an infected bat. An infected animal has been the source of many of our epidemics.

Mad Cow Disease is when Jim and I decided that our family would become vegetarian over 20 years ago. And our BT member, flatfish, continues to update the forum that this disease is still a problem.

As a society of human beings, we need to scrutinize closely what is contributing to the ultimate demise of our planet, thereby ourselves, and understand that we need to change our ways.

Once again, I apologize for the length of my post. I'm processing a lot these days. As you can see.

Prayers for you all and your loved ones and for a healthy, free planet.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Rose, the pollution contributed by race cars is minimal. They run for a short time, once a week, then it's months before racing season comes around again.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

12. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Rose, we welcome long post. Mine usually are. There are so few of us, that we need to take up space.
    Virginia

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Improvements have been made in emissions on cars, and we do have electric cars now. I have to have a smog test on my old van every other year. So, I don't think that cars are the major contributors now to our pollution and climate change.

Race cars may be in a different category. I don't know. Howie?

Our reliance on fossil fuels, our constant battering of Earth with drilling, digging, fracking, building. The plastic in our oceans and huge cargo containers. Nuclear power. The bombs we've dropped everywhere in war, in testing.

What we have now is the accumulation of destructive things we have done to Earth.
    I'm not saying that cars are the major contributors to pollution and climate change but large numbers of them don't help. I haven't noticed very many electric cars on the road yet but I'm probably not out and about enough to know what's going on. Are they becoming very popular now?

Please bear with me while I continue my rant and move on to--planes. Planes are a great way to travel, but you have to wonder if some of the businesspeople hopping on planes at least once a week just to attend conferences really need to be doing that.

I've known of couples where he has a job in one city and she gets a job offer in another city, and so one of them commutes every weekend--by plane, of course. This sort of arrangement wouldn't have been possible without planes but do we need to have quite as much of it as I've been hearing about? I keep hearing about similar situations.

My son and DIL have both worked at jobs where their employers think nothing of flying them all over the map.

Birds are taking quite a hit (literally) as a result of so many planes in the air. Then there's all the fuel planes use. And if you've ever lived near enough to an airport to hear its racket, you know how hard to take it is.

I used to love plane travel but there's a lot to be said for a leisurely train or bus ride where you can see the world.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

16. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Agate, changing the subject a little here. That last post by you was at 2:29AM. Now, I am pretty sure you were not up at 2:29 this morning. Please tell me what time it was when you posted that. I know we are 3 hours different in time zones, but when your post show 2:29A.M. it is confusing to me.
    Virginia

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

The time on my screen for that post is 11:29 PM yesterday, which is the time it was here. Kinda late for me but a number of problems yesterday kept me much busier than usual. You're in the Eastern time zone, and I'm in the Pacific zone--3 hours difference.

A memo just came around in this building from the management company--3 pages about the fire. The company's main office is in another town and they had to evacuate. Luckily they had a location to go to. We're told that if we have to evacuate, we can go to any place where we feel safe or assemble in the lobby and wait for news about an evacuation site to go to.

Those without cars are told to "have an idea for transportation."
    Last edited by agate; 09-15-2020 at 10:50 AM.

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 LastLast