Thread: Voting by mail in Ballot

Distinguished Community Member

Default Voting by mail in Ballot

Good advice for people who feel unsafe about voting in person but now fear the USPS will be unable to deliver a mail-in ballot in a timely fashion. (From FB)

There is a way around it:
    1. Request a mail-in ballot.
    2. Do not mail it.
    3. Google your supervisor of elections to see where you can drop off your mail-in ballot. Its usually NOT THE POLLING PLACE. All states allow this!

Here is what you're accomplishing by doing this:
    1. Your ballot gets in on time no matter what happens to the USPS.
    2. You don't have to worry about standing in long lines and risking infection. You're just stopping by to drop it off.
    3. You still voted! Hooray!

Also, when you drop it off, find out how to track it online to make sure it is verified. California, Oregon, Washington, and Colorado have systems that can track your ballot just like tracking a package from Amazon.

All California vote centers (which are open for weeks to a month before election day) have ballot drop-off boxes too! Many government buildings have them as well, so there's no need to wait until election day when it's crowded to drop them off. The list of drop-off sites is always posted on each county's voter info website.

***This is very important! It would be great if people would copy it to their page. (Press and hold until the copy option pops up.)***

In my town, you can drop off your mail in ballot at the polling place during early voting period: you dont stand in line. They have a ballot box and you drop it off there.

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Another bit of advice, for those who wouldn't find it easy to get to the drop-off place, is to mail the ballot in as early as you can. Some states are sending out ballots months in advance.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Sunshine ~

Thank you for sharing this information.

agate ~

This suggestion is suitable for people, who are able to get to a drop-in ballot box, but as you mentioned, not everyone is able to do that. For example, wouldn't you need to schedule a ride to get to a drop-in ballot box? I'm sure that there are millions of voters, who would be in a similar situation.

Doesn't Oregon vote by mail exclusively?

California mailed ballots to every voter in California for our last round of voting, in addition to new vote centers. It was difficult to find people willing to open up their garages for voting booths.

I've been voting by "absentee" (mail-in) ballot for nearly 20 years. It has never been a problem in our state.

Let's remember who is threatening our right to vote by refusing to fund the U.S. Post Office, appointing a billionaire and campaign donor as the Postmaster General, and insisting falsely that mail-in voting is fraud-ridden. The same person, who voted by mail along with his wife, is now taking that right away from us.

I am sure we could all flood our Congressional representatives with phone calls and emails, but we've seen how far that has gotten us with everything else.

Meanwhile, every 80 seconds, someone in America dies from COVID-19.

And children are still locked in cages.

Our vote never counted more than it does now.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

agate ~

This suggestion is suitable for people, who are able to get to a drop-in ballot box, but as you mentioned, not everyone is able to do that. For example, wouldn't you need to schedule a ride to get to a drop-in ballot box? I'm sure that there are millions of voters, who would be in a similar situation.

Doesn't Oregon vote by mail exclusively?
    Yes indeed, I would need to schedule a ride and plan for the possibility that the expedition might take the better part of the day, what with long waits.

Oregon does vote exclusively by mail, and I've been voting by absentee ballot for about 30 years. Getting to and from a polling place just was too much of a problem.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

So, if you can't mail in your ballot, you can't vote, unless you go through the ordeal of scheduling a ride, hoping it arrives, going to a ballot drop off box, then scheduling a ride back to your home.

Since Oregon votes by mail exclusively, I would hope that you have a system in place, so you will not be impacted by any federally mandated reduction in USPS services.

Six state attorneys general are contemplating a lawsuit against DT over the Post Office debacle.

Attorneys generals in Massachusetts, Minnesota, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington have made statements suggesting legal action was in the works against the administration.
    https://truthout.org/articles/state-...s-at-the-usps/

But mail-in ballots aren't the only vital thing affected by the USPS reduction in service. Many Veterans depend upon the mail to deliver their medications:

https://connectingvets.radio.com/art...-prescriptions

They are already experiencing delays in getting their meds delivered.

I have never understood the underfunding of the Post Office. It has been critical to Americans and the world, and postal workers vow to deliver mail anywhere in any kind of weather. Benjamin Franklin must be worn out turning over and over in his grave.

Speaker Pelosi has called the House Representatives back from their vacations to address this issue. Whatever bills they pass will just sit on the Majority Leader's desk in the Senate, as usual.

It's difficult for me to visualize how this is all going to end up.

To me, it just feels like the daily dose of trauma, which we've been fed for almost 4 years. It's only going to get worse, as we near the election.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

I received my primary ballot today and filled it out and mailed it back already. I’m not taking any chances. Peter took a picture of me mailing it.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

12. The following 3 users say "thanks"