Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Thread: August 2020 Chat & Musings

Distinguished Community Member

Rose, thanks for the update on my weather. You seem to be right on the mark. I also had a robo call from my power company this afternoon warning that my area is expected to have wide spread power outages due to damaging winds and heavy rains which may also cause flooding in areas.

I watched some of the space ship recovery this afternoon, and all I could think of when I saw the front of it was Howie. He likes dragons so I hope he didn't sleep all afternoon and miss it.

I had 11 calls from sometimes a man and sometimes a woman, over a period of 4 or 5 days. I didn't answer because I didn't recognize the area codes or the phone numbers, but they left messages. They both said due to what appeared to be fraudulent activity on my social security card I should call them (giving number) immediately. They said if I failed to respond they would have no choice but to turn me over to the authorities and an arrest warrant would be issued and I would have an outstanding arrest warrant against me. There wouldn't be any way to trace people like this and I hope no one falls for this. I think the last call was Thursday so they may have given up on me.

My brother was telling me about a scam that I couldn't believe the people fell for, but they did. Some people called a couple in their high 80s and told them their Grandson had been in a bad auto accident and was in jail. They needed $16,000.00 to get him out. They told them it was part of a court case and they could not tell anyone that they just needed to get the money and they would be able to get their grandson out of jail. The couple, without contacting anyone in the family went to the bank and got the money and gave it to some people who came to their house to get it. On top of that their daughter, who is the Aunt of this grandson was at their house shortly before they went to the bank to see them and they said nothing.

Later these same people called and said that the woman who her grandson was in the wreck with had been pregnant and lost the baby, that if they would get $30,000 and give it to them they would never hear from them again. Before they went to the bank the woman said she was going to call her grandson to see if he was home from jail yet. He answered and said "Grandma I have been home all the time, I haven't been in a wreck." The family called the police, but you can imagine what chance they have of catching them. I wish they had set a trap and told them they had the $30,000 and they should come get it.

I think there must be some dementia there. It is a shame that people are alone and get that scared.

Well, I can't think of anymore bad news, so I might as well sign off. Everyone sleep well.
    Virginia

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

I know this sounds crazy, but I've always wanted to go through a hurricane. Not in a property I own of course.

There was one headed for Myrtle Beach one time, and I drove all the way down there, and came to a road block where they weren't letting anyone into the area that didn't live there. Oh well, I tried.

Virginia, I DID sleep all afternoon. No sleep last night, so I fell asleep as soon as I got my running around done. What did I miss?
    Last edited by Howie; 08-02-2020 at 06:56 PM.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Howie, you missed the dragon space ship - would have been your favorite thing to watch. Maybe it is on u-tube, your other favorite place.
    Virginia

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

I'm curious, where is my "other favorite place"?
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

8. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Howie, here and YouTube

AN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Yes, Howie I was referring to here and youTube. Do you have something going on that we don't know about?

I just got another call stating that "We (whoever that is) had been notified of suspicious activity on my social security number and I needed to contact them immediately at 844-230-9107. If they do not here from me they would have no option but to issue a warrant in my name and I would be arrested immediately".
    So....if y'all don't hear from me anytime soon please take up a collection and get me out of jail. I guess I would be in a Federal rather than a county or state since it involves SS.

However, while I am waiting around (also waiting for the storm or hurricane, whichever it turns out to be) I think I will cook some soup this afternoon and hope that my power holds out through Wednesday. If it does I can eat on my soup and will not have to cook again for a couple of days.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Yes, here and YouTube is correct. I thought you had some place else in mind, and I was going to give you a stern correction.

I'm just waking up from a nap. It was one of those where when I woke up, I thought it was tomorrow morning. I hope I can sleep as well tonight.

Albert Einstein

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member SuzE-Q's Avatar

Virginia, isn't it illegal to threaten criminal action against a person?

If they are continuing to call you, maybe you can call the police, set up a sting operation on your phone.

Now THAT would be exciting! But I do think there's something to punch in on your phone in order to log the last call made to your phone with the police.

If you want to protect others, possibly more vulnerable, you may want to call the police and ask them.
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

Virginia ~

Boy, those scammers are really stalking you! It is so despicable how they prey on Seniors. I've had those calls too, which is why I have the ringer on my phone turned off.

I'm concerned for you as I watch the storm heading your way. Weather Channel predicted it would reach hurricane level by the time it reached the Carolinas. My prayers are with you that you'll be safe and will not have a power outage.

Howie ~

Didn't you also say that you want to experience an earthquake? I can assure you, having been through hundreds of them, it is not a fun experience, especially when every room in your home is damaged as ours was in 2014. Same with hurricanes. Be careful what you wish for, because this storm is heading your way and could go all the way up the East coast to Maine.

Hey, everyone! My computer is on line again! YAY! It ended up being an easy fix, just putting in a new splitter, which was at least 20 years old. Whew! I'm so happy to have my computer again! The eye strain from the iPad was starting to bother me. The technician was so nice. I think I made a new friend!

So happy that is over. One less stress.

Love and prayers to all ~ be safe and well.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

It is the 3rd of the month and I don’t think Sunshine has started her “get moving” thread. Am I missing something? If I am right I don’t think this has ever happened.

20. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast