Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: August 2020: Keep on Moving

Distinguished Community Member

Today I swam 1/2 mile. Resting now. PT soon. RN coming to listen to lungs also. Asthma has flared up past month. X-ray this week.

2. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, Iíve thought of you often this week. The Ocean air is so invigorating.

Last evening we drove to another (#4) beach on the ocean side. We took our tea thermoses and planned to stay in the car, drink tea, watch the ocean and listen to classical music. It cleared up so we ventured down to the beach and I found flat stones and Peter skipped them. I had no trouble getting back up the dune.

Just a note about dunes: we do not walk on dunes. Itís forbidden in the National Seashore. The park service has bulldozed two paths: one for down and one for up. We walk on those.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Ann, what a lovely way to spend an evening. I think I can hear the ocean now, it is so peaceful.
    Virginia

6. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Those waves look like perfect learning waves. Have you ever though of getting a lesson? It’s something you will never forget!!!
    Rent a foam 9 foot board, its like surfing a door. Its lightweight and the board deck is foam so it doesnt hurt you if it hits you.
    Do not get a board smaller than 9’ for your lesson. They are much harder to catch waves and paddle.
    Those 9’ foam board paddle so fast, I could out paddle the young dudes on it.

But def get a teacher for your first lesson. Call a surf shop and ask for a beginner teacher. I would go 1:1. Rather than in a group class.
    Last edited by Sunshine 2; 08-28-2020 at 11:13 AM.

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

I’d love to try some gentle surfing. I would have never thought so if I hadn’t “met” you, Sunshine.

There are signs at every beach warning about recent shark sightings so this is not my year for that but I’ll remember the 9’ foam board.

Thank you,
    ANN

Edited to add: And no lifeguards this year!
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 08-28-2020 at 11:34 AM.
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

10. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by stillstANNding View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’d love to try some gentle surfing. I would have never thought so if I hadn’t “met” you, Sunshine.

There are signs at every beach warning about recent shark sightings so this is not my year for that but I’ll remember the 9’ foam board.

Thank you,
    ANN

Edited to add: And no lifeguards this year!

No worries about lack of guards. Just go to a beach where there are other surfers. Surfers watch out for one another. And your teacher will watch you non stop and not put you in areas of rip tides etc. Don’t worry about the sharks. Its the board that is more dangerous. And other surfers.

The sharks are always there, the teacher knows conditions that can make it dicey. E.g. too much bait fish in the water. You would be close to shore as the smaller waves break closer to shore, so there arent going to be the huge types of sharks.

We saw sharks almost every time we surfed. You develop a Sharkeys sense. I used to call it, “I hear teh Jaws music” and would get out. But again, with a teacher and a gentle beach (each beach break is different) you will be fine.

Here is a nice drone shot of where I surf. Its gorgeous, music is dreamy, you will see sharks everywhere and they stay away from the surfers:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YeVsdqsS78&app=desktop

Re lack of lifeguards: They can be a lifesaver. However, I did notice when I used to surf at a guarded beach, that they did not notice when Iwas in trouble, and then I realized I am on my own. Your best guard is your fellow surfers .
    Last edited by Sunshine 2; 08-29-2020 at 06:36 AM.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Swam 1/2 mile today. Rough day.

14. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Sunshine)))))) ~

Sending you extra ((((((Hugs))))))) today and prayers that tomorrow will be a much better day for you.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Sunshine, hope you are feeling better by tomorrow.
    Virginia

18. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345