Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August 2020: Keep on Moving

Distinguished Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Average step count for July (based on 31 days): 2,095 steps/day

That's a record for me.
    THis is cause for celebration!!! How exciting that you are ABLE to do this, and that you also then DO IT!

2. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, able but not really. The commitment so far as the building management was concerned was to have the whole apartment completely emptied, with the stove and refrigerator sparkling clean, etc., in 3 weeks. We didn't get the job done, thanks to my being so pokey slow, and the result was that I got chewed out by the managers for letting them down.

I was reduced to whimpering "We did the best we could."
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Quote Originally Posted by agate View Post
    Yes, able but not really. The commitment so far as the building management was concerned was to have the whole apartment completely emptied, with the stove and refrigerator sparkling clean, etc., in 3 weeks. We didn't get the job done, thanks to my being so pokey slow, and the result was that I got chewed out by the managers for letting them down.

I was reduced to whimpering "We did the best we could."
    Screw them. They have no clue what if feels like to be you....

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Cool

Good morning all!

I again didn't sleep last night. So I made good use of it, and did a trash, bank, and store run really early. Now I'm back, everything is put away, and I feel a nap would be in order, but who knows.

One thing I forgot to look at in the store is some kind of sleep aid. But of course, I forget to look. I would like to break this sleep one night, no sleep the next. It's getting old.

Everyone have a great day!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

8. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine 2 View Post
    Screw them. They have no clue what if feels like to be you....
    Thank you so much, Sunshine. There's literally nobody whose shoulder I could cry on about this, but here you are. I'm so glad this place exists.

The phone call that did this to me was over a month ago and I keep wondering if there will be an apology. I've got along really well with these managers for nearly 11 years now. It was so odd for her to be like this that I'm bewildered.

It's one more example of how people don't "get" MS. They see me doing things in a seemingly normal way and assume I'm normal. What they don't see is how often I have to stop and rest, sometimes for a day or even a week, before starting up on an activity again. Or how long it takes me to do something that others do in half the time.

Howie, have you tried listening to a recorded book? If the book is dull, you might drop right off. The dullest thing I can think of is the Congressional Record but it's a periodical and may not be very available for general readers. But something on that order. You can subscribe to periodicals at no cost through the National Library Service Talking Books program which is meant for anyone who finds reading difficult, even those who can't hold printed material because they keep dropping it. You don't have to be legally blind. People with MS are often qualified.

There's quite an assortment of periodicals, and they're handy if you don't feel like slogging all the way through a book.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Did the managers pay you or compensate you in any way for the tremendous amount of work you did to empty your friend's apartment?

Are they aware that you have MS? Are they aware that you are a Senior Citizen? You use a wheelchair for transportation?

The lack of gratitude they have demonstrated is absolutely appalling! How dare they?! Grrr ... I'm already riled up, as you can tell from my last post on the mail in ballot thread. Now, I'm steaming! (It is hot and humid here, but I'm steaming for the way you've been mistreated.)

Please don't let them upset you. I know that is easy to say and difficult to do, because we are humans with souls.

But everyone here knows how hard and long you worked to take special care of your friend's belongings and apartment. I am in awe of you for being able to accomplish all of that. Plus their "inspection" stuff that you deal with regularly.

You did above and beyond "the best you could." I am so proud of you!

You are a strong, brave, intelligent, kind, loving person. They are ... not so much.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Agate, talking books just aren't for me. I'll just find a new med next time I go to the store, IF I remember. But thanks for the suggestion.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

14. The following 2 users say "thanks"

Howie, is the computer in the bedroom? Put a podcast on the computer and set the timer. It works for me. I use things I want to hear - stories and literary readings. Peter follows Agate’s line of thinking and picks really dry stuff from the London School of Ecconomics. I do not recommend it but it works fast for him.

Edited to add that I walked 1.1 miles before breakfast this morning.
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

16. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Cool

Ann, I can't even imagine a 1.1 mile walk. It's all I can do to walk into the store. Keep it up, the Olympics are coming up soon.
    Last edited by Howie; 08-18-2020 at 06:34 AM.

Albert Einstein

18. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Earth Mother 2 Angels View Post
    ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

agate ~

Did the managers pay you or compensate you in any way for the tremendous amount of work you did to empty your friend's apartment?

Are they aware that you have MS? Are they aware that you are a Senior Citizen? You use a wheelchair for transportation?

The lack of gratitude they have demonstrated is absolutely appalling! How dare they?! Grrr ... I'm already riled up, as you can tell from my last post on the mail in ballot thread. Now, I'm steaming! (It is hot and humid here, but I'm steaming for the way you've been mistreated.)

Please don't let them upset you. I know that is easy to say and difficult to do, because we are humans with souls.

But everyone here knows how hard and long you worked to take special care of your friend's belongings and apartment. I am in awe of you for being able to accomplish all of that. Plus their "inspection" stuff that you deal with regularly.

You did above and beyond "the best you could." I am so proud of you!

You are a strong, brave, intelligent, kind, loving person. They are ... not so much.

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Thanks so much, Rose!

There was no pay for any of us. Maybe the guy who is handling all of the shipment of the daughter's items will be paid something. I hope so. He says she's reimbursing him for the postage and other shipping costs.

I had a nice thank you card from the daughter with a brief note, and I posted it on the bulletin board here in the building along with a note thanking everyone who helped to make the open house a success.

I kept it posted through the weekend (no managers around then) and hope people saw it.

It was a success so far as those involved were concerned.

One Ukrainian man took lots of clothes and sent them to his sister in the Ukraine. In fact, I saw him pushing a handcart stacked with several large cartons, and he said he was on his way to the post office with the clothes for his sister.

The managers see me in my wheelchair often. I wait out there in the lobby right outside their office whenever I have an appointment, in that wheelchair. I've been to their monthly meetings regularly in my wheelchair. When they go by my window, they see me sitting here in it. Every year when I have a recertification interview in the office, I'm in there in the wheelchair. I can't sit for any length of time in anything else. I'm pretty sure they know I have MS but it might have slipped their minds.

Everyone here is a senior citizen, and many have medical issues.

When this began and I asked the manager for some details, she did say, "I try to stay out of anything involving a tenant's possessions. Whenever I get involved, I get into trouble." So maybe this is one more instance of something she didn't handle well.

20. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast