Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT. Oh my gosh!

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default OT. Oh my gosh!

Now, what is it I am supposed to do? I remember I should be scared because the 4 baby bears were followed by their huge mother. They were 50’ from me and I was crawling a row of potatoes, busy digging. Big trouble if mom found me Infringing on her pathway. My husband is now telling me there was nothing to fear because 4 cubs means they are healthy and getting enough food. I suppose that makes me happy.?

No matter what instructions I had ever read or heard I got up and walked the 100’ back to my electric scooter all the while loudly calling “John!” “John”! my husband’s name. He was in a different field picking haricot verts. I like to think I was yelling his name to warn him but, frankly, I was just scared and had some vague idea that a friend had told me when confronted by a bear on her farm she made a lot of noise and puffed herself up.

I did not puff but I did make noise hoping the mother bear had not decided I was a threat and follow me. I remember thinking she could be right behind me. I might feel a swipe of her powerful and clawed arm at any moment. She had 4 babies to protect. Who could blame her ? I did not turn to see if she was following me. They had all been heading toward an Apple orchard and there was food for them on the ground from the thinning of the apples on the trees.

I got to my scooter at the same time my husband came in his vehicle. I was not the only one in the neighborhood making noise at this point. Everyone shouted warnings to others to be aware, get pups inside and I made a mental note not to work into deep dusk anymore.

So, I had the experience of a lifetime. And it is all fuzzy in my fear paralyzed brain. Not much of a tough old lady farmer. More of an old lady chicken**** farmer!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 07-17-2020 at 01:41 AM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

2. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member

Holy Mackerel! What an adventure!! And you lived to tell it too! Thanks for taking the time to tell us :) Riveting!

4. The following 6 users say "thanks"

An excellent telling of your misadventure!

Thank you kindly. :-)
    ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

6. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This just happened? And you're calmly here telling us about it? I'd be somewhere off in lala land, I think, if that had happened to me.

I didn't realize bears ever showed up where you live, Linda. Never a dull moment, eh?
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

8. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Jeanie Z's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Smile

:) Wow Linda what an adventure. I'm glad they left you alone. Jeanie :)

10. The following 4 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Earth Mother 2 Angels's Avatar
    Blog Entries

((((((Linda)))))) ~

My goodness! That sounds very scary! I'm so grateful that Mama Bear left you alone.

Perhaps it would be a good idea if you and John, and your neighbors, were equipped with bear repellent spray. Amazon sells some, as does Home Depot, and probably other places. You can carry it with you, whenever you are in the fields, where the bear might wander.

Also, do you and John have cell phones with you when you're working in different areas? I think that would be a good idea, just in case anything happens including, but not limited to, a bear siting.

You certainly live an interesting life. Be safe!

Love & Light,

Rose

*Virtual Hugs Are Germ-Free!
    Mom to Jon, 49, and Michael, 32, who were born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease and courageous spirits. Our Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Our Angel Jon received his wings April 2019. April 2020, Jim, the world's most wonderful Dad, joined them. Now, they all watch over me.

12. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member agate's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'd never heard of bear repellent spray but it's sold on Amazon. Sounds like something Linda needs to have.
    MS, diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009.

"Always put off until tomorrow whatever you think you should do today." --Anonymous

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

We only get coyote, deer and wolf sitings around here. We have to go all the way to the mountains to see bears. Sounds like your neighborhood is a little bit in the wild. I really don't want to see any bears anywhere near me. I can't run fast enough. I am glad Sam stays in with Howie because a coyote or wolf could do her some harm I would think.
    Virginia

16. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We only get coyote, deer and wolf sitings around here. We have to go all the way to the mountains to see bears. Sounds like your neighborhood is a little bit in the wild. I really don't want to see any bears anywhere near me. I can't run fast enough. I am glad Sam stays in with Howie because a coyote or wolf could do her some harm I would think.
    No one can run fast enough to outrun a bear!
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

18. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No one can run fast enough to outrun a bear!
    Sam can!
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

Albert Einstein

20. The following 3 users say "thanks"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast