Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast

Thread: July chitchat

Distinguished Community Member

Every garden I had was susceptible to critters and insects. I didnt use pesticides. I tried to use the organic controls, like ladybugs, parasitic wasps which helped some. But the yields on my crops except for the herbs was pretty low. Maybe it was partly due to it being in large pots. Really really large pots.

But if I put it in the ground, I. Think I would have to put an electric fence around it to zap raccoons, and hardware cloth under it to keep the raccoons from burrowing under through tunnels they dug. I did that for my chickens and it did the trick. But, I guess the motivation wasnt high enough for the plants.

Now a days, I am not capable of growing things in the ground, I canít get down low enough. We had a raised planter, but had to dismantle it for the hurricane season: it was so much work, we swore that was the end of that: Its yield was below par except for the herbs. And we had to put it in our screeened in pool house: plenty of sun, but the mess was everywhere, and not quite as much sun as Iw old like.

Right now I have an aerogarden , an indoor hydroponic set up. The yield for herbs is high. I havenít tried the lettuce and the tomatoes, but i suspect it would not have high enough yield to truly feed us.

2. The following 7 users say "thanks"

I’m jealous that you had chickens, Sunshine. We can’t have chickens in the city even without the rooster. I’d like the chickens for their funny antics and the eggs and especially their poop for the garden.

ANN
    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

4. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Ann, chickens can be funny, but you better be ready to rake up all that poop if you ever have any, or put them in a coop.

My husband too was a gardener. We use to have tomatoes always, cucumbers, string beans, butter beans and a couple rows of corn. About the last 3 years or so before he got sick his job became busier and busier and so he just planted some tomatoes and that was about it. He just plain loved the outdoors. He did our lawn himself and we had an acre and half, then he had to take care of all the pruning around the house. It took a lot of work. He had a bass boat and loved to go to the lake when he had a little time, but that too became harder and harder for him to do. Still it was good times.

I wonder what Howie is up to today?

Ann, where does Mr. Chipmunk live?
    Virginia

6. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Virginia, your husband reminds me of my father. He didn’t do vegetables but loved roses and shrubs and had the best lawn on the street.

Mr Chip seems to live in the patio wall.

ANN

8. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Ann, yes he does sound like your Father. We would be backing out of the driveway and he would just stop at the end of the drive or out on the street and every year he would say "If our community had a yard of the month our yard would get it every month". I thought that was so funny, but of course he didn't say it to anyone else, but a lot of people commented on our yard when it was so green and nicely cut.
    Virginia

10. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Howie, this is for you only - A few years ago I got a real good deal on my car insurance. I went through "Economy Auto Insurance". They do not underwrite the policies, but they connect you with the least expensive in your area. They put me with MetLife Insurance Company and I got a really good deal that year. I have been with Metlife about 3 or 4 years, but this year they went way up on their rates. So, I was going to have to pay the same as I would with any other insurance company.

Anyway, I remembered about Economy Auto Insurance. I went into their website and they came up with Liberty Mutual Ins. Co. So, I filled out a little information and they called and gave me a quote for same amount of insurance that I had been carrying. It is $252.00 per year less than what I was going to have to pay MetLife. My insurance renews August 1st and they have locked me in for then. I did tell them I drive less than 1,000 miles a year in that car and that is not when we are in a pandemic.

Thought you might like to have this information and know that Economy Auto Insurance might can help you find cheaper insurance with a good company.
    Virginia

12. The following 5 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Thumbs up

Virginia, the big problem for me is I have to insure the Cruiser, and Pinky which I haven't driven in years. Pinky is registered as an antique vehicle. It has Virginia tags from 1973. I don't have to update the registration each year, or pay taxes on it. It costs very little in insurance, but I wish I drove it more.

The PT Cruiser the other day coming back from the store, started running funny. I know how to bring up the self diagnostic code, but forgot it by the time I unloaded all the groceries. I'll try again in a few days, and take my notepad and write the code down.

That will tell me if it's something I can fix, or it's time to let a garage fix it. I JUST finished paying my sister back for the cost of fixing that driver side window. It has only 30,000 miles on it, but it's starting to cost me more all the time to own.

Cats and cars, can't live with them, can't live without them.
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

14. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Lazarus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The weather has been so inhospitable to our crops....everything is sloooowly ripening, sloowly growing...it is hard to find enough to pick to bring to market. It was a cold spring and we are still in moderate drought and then the sudden intense heat. Poor crops donít know what to do!

Tomorrow should bring heavy rain which is forecast to last into Saturday....so this weekís market might be hurt. My hope is that the rain ends by early morning Saturday and the market goes on! After all, I have 2 new tires on my trailer and a spare new tire on a hub in my car. I am ready!
    Last edited by Lazarus; 07-09-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Linda~~~~

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"

16. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Linda, yes, my garden is also behind. I looked at pictures from last year and my plants are smaller even though I planted much earlier this year (because I had the low tunnel).

I wish you well on Saturday and hope it’s a little less eventful than last week

Howie, how nice you paid your sister back. I hope all will be well with the car.

I wonder how Agate is doing with the big project.
    ANN
    Last edited by stillstANNding; 07-09-2020 at 03:46 PM.

18. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Distinguished Community Member Howie's Avatar

Ann, I would never borrow a penny that I wouldn't pay back. I've been paying her $100 a month since the window incident happened. I JUST did pay her the last of it this month, and then this new problem. Sigh.....
    "The Purest Blue".

Love and Rockets

20. The following 6 users say "thanks"

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast